Pick Your Own fruit (strawberries, raspberries etc) prices reasonable?

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    In my yoof, I picked strawberries (local)for the pocket money, unlike some of the city visitors who made a week of it, bringing tents and sleeping bags etc. It was fresh air done it. An adventure for the kids too.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    JackieO - where would you recommend for cherry picking in Kent? I would like to take the little one there for a day out in August, I'm sure she'll love being lifted up to pick them.

The last time I did it was in north Oxfordshire, en-route to the Cotswolds.

It's 8am now so time to get a few packs from Aldi.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    JackieO - where would you recommend for cherry picking in Kent? I would like to take the little one there for a day out in August, I'm sure she'll love being lifted up to pick them.

QUOTE]

Felderland farm, Sandwich, Kent

https://www.felderland-pyo.co.uk/

you can click to see what's available.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    All the PYO places in my area have all packed up over the last few years.
    All killed off by the cheap all year round products in the supermarkets.
  • MrJones1
    MrJones1 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Earlier you would always get better prices than the supermarket prices and that would be reasonable. Nowadays Pick Your Own Fruit is unfortunately seen as an activity and you will pay more based on that. However, it can be a nice activity for your family and children.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Having spent many weeks strawberry picking as a youngster, there is no way I would pay more for PYO than for supermarket fruit.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,275 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    We have a brilliant farm shop that has PYO strawberries and raspberries. I think they are similar to supermarket prices but the taste is divine, much better than any supermarket produce. The raspberries in the height of the season are amazing and we pick tons for the freezer.

As an added bonus there is a cafe that does brilliant food.
  • VfM4meplse
    I am going to do some PYO this week. Mid-June, I found some brambles close by with green fruit on it, which I was unsure of but decided were raspberries when they turned a dark pink. They are now becoming black, so I was wrong! Price = free.

It's just as well that blackberries taste as good as raspberries :D

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I am going to do some PYO this week. Mid-June, I found some brambles close by with green fruit on it, which I was unsure of but decided were raspberries when they turned a dark pink. They are now becoming black, so I was wrong! Price = free.

It's just as well that blackberries taste as good as raspberries :D

If they're anywhere near a main road or a built up area I'd be very wary of eating them. Take care!
  • VfM4meplse
    Doc_N wrote: »
    If they're anywhere near a main road or a built up area I'd be very wary of eating them. Take care!
    All of London is built up, but this is in a sheltered field in what was technically Epping Forest. The main source of pollution is vegetarian horse poo, which comes in a copious supply :o

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure