Paying into HISA and Cash LISA in the same tax year

Hi all,

Is it possible to open and pay into, a cash help to buy ISA and a cash Lifetime ISA in the same tax year? I've been given conflicting information on this.

I know that normally you're only allowed to pay into one cash ISA in any given tax year, although you can pay into a stock & shares ISA etc as well I believe. But the main MSE article on The Lifetime ISA states the following:

"You can open and contribute to a cash ISA and a Lifetime ISA

The overall ISA limit is £20,000 in the 2017/18 tax year. You are allowed to split this between a LISA (up to the maximum £4,000) and put the remainder in a cash ISA, stocks & shares ISA and/or an innovative finance ISA (for peer-to-peer investing) in the same tax year.

You're also allowed to have a Help to Buy ISA and a LISA, though you can't get the first-time buyers' bonus on both (see Help to Buy ISA vs LISA info below). But you could get the Help to Buy ISA bonus for a home and the LISA bonus for retirement."

Does this mean there is a special rule for LISA's in that you can have both cash LISA and any other kind of cash ISA in the same tax year?

Also what do you think about using the HISA to buy a home (i'll be buying in the next year or so) and then using the LISA for retirement? This is of particular to me, as its not really been mentioned elsewhere.

Thanks!

Comments

• My understanding is

you can open:
    a cash ISA (one of)
    a S&S ISA (one of)
    a Lifetime ISA (one of)

and there may be other ISAs in there too.

Basically you can open one of each and pay into each one providing you do not exceed the yearly limit of £20k combined.

But you can't open (and pay in to) two of one sort.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,128
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    My understanding is

you can open:
    a cash ISA (one of)
    a S&S ISA (one of)
    a Lifetime ISA (one of)

and there may be other ISAs in there too.

Basically you can open one of each and pay into each one providing you do not exceed the yearly limit of £20k combined.

But you can't open (and pay in to) two of one sort.

At the risk of overcomplicating:o

Actually, you can open as many of each type as you wish. The rule(s) are about paying new money into one of each type at a time.

@Charlie-

A LISA is a category on its own, but a HTB is a special type of cash ISA, so you cannot pay into a cash ISA and HTB ISA at the same time. Unless you hold both with one of the few providers, such as Nationwide, who let you spread your contributions over several cash ISA products.

However, there is little point in this as they are not usually market leading rates and you can earn more interest on your savings elsewhere.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,401
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    badger09 wrote: »
    At the risk of overcomplicating:o

Actually, you can open as many of each type as you wish. The rule(s) are about paying new money into one of each type at a time.
    I used to post the same thing on here but was corrected recently on this thread where isasmurf pointed out that technically an ISA isn't open until money has been paid in! So if you thought you were overcomplicating.... ;)
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,128
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    eskbanker wrote: »
    I used to post the same thing on here but was corrected recently on this thread where isasmurf pointed out that technically an ISA isn't open until money has been paid in! So if you thought you were overcomplicating.... ;)

That doesn't make what I posted incorrect.

The first (opening) deposit could be a transfer of previous year's ISA subscriptions.

Previous year's ISA subscriptions don't have to be kept together, so it is entirely possible (and allowed) to open multiple 'bog standard' cash ISAs & even S&S ISAs.
  • Charlie-
    Charlie- Posts: 6 Forumite
    Thanks all.

On another note, if I open a cash Lifetime ISA and then in the future decid to transfer to a Stocks and Shares Lifetime ISA, is this possible?
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,867
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Charlie- wrote: »
    Thanks all.

On another note, if I open a cash Lifetime ISA and then in the future decid to transfer to a Stocks and Shares Lifetime ISA, is this possible?

You could have a new Lifetime ISA each year if you wanted. But yes, you can transfer between LISAs.
  • Charlie-
    Charlie- Posts: 6 Forumite
    Thanks, if I had 2x LISAs I would only be able to use the government bonus on one if them though right?
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,867
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Charlie- wrote: »
    Thanks, if I had 2x LISAs I would only be able to use the government bonus on one if them though right?

No you can withdraw from them all if it's a qualifying event. All will get bonuses paid in them.

It's the Help to Buy ISA that you can't claim a bonus on as well as use a LISA for house buying and the Help to Buy ISA bonus isn't paid into the account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure