PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Comments

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 March 2012 at 2:07PM
    Lopi Hand Knit jumper- will wear to death then felt and make into a bag or something.
    EWM washable lambs wool jumper- will offer to DH but if he doesn't want it I do.
    Free toy for DS (seeing as one door was broken they let him have it free, still very functional though!)
    Transformer toy for DS

ETA Where we live (Orkney) there are not many clothes shops, and most clothes shopping is done online, or when we are off the island, so charity shops are another way to get hold of things from different shops. Sometimes the bargains are good and I expect it is people who either bought things south and cannot return them or folk who cannot be bothered to return things from catalogues or don't do it in time.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• Nicepeach
    Nicepeach Posts: 138 Forumite
    dawn1980 wrote: »
    The swap shop is an initiative run by my local sustainability (eco friendly) group. You take along things you don't want and take whatever you do want. For free. Of course you can just go without taking anything with you. They weigh the stuff on your way out. Anything leftover goes to local charity shops. No clothes but lots of toys, books, kitchen bits, tools and odds.

Thanks Dawn, never heard of anything like that near us. What a good idea, especially for kitcheny type things. When I was looking for a poaching pan recently went to lots of CS before I found one & staff I asked said that they couldn't get enough kitchen type things & cutlery etc., said it just flies out as soon as they put it on display.
  • Nicepeach- have a look at your council's recycling bit of the website. Ours has recently done a 'bring and take' event which sounds like the swapshop mentioned above, and it was so successful they're doing another two this year.
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • Diflower
    Diflower Posts: 601 Forumite
    Had a lovely result this morning:)
    Was out visiting where we used to live, always poop into a few of the charity shops and nearly always find something.

Today one had 'bogof' on all linens. I found a big piece of beautiful red linen (150cm x 150cm) and a pretty piece of greeny patterned cotton, a sort of Chinesey design. That's only 87cm wide but it's 120cm long. The two cost £3, plus I got 2 little bags of buttons, some heart-shaped orange ones, and a mixture of flowers and stars.
    It's the only CS I know that has someone who bothers to sort through the rubbish clothes for nice buttons:)

Now just have to decide what to do with the material:)
  • I popped into a tatty little charity shop by work and got brand new with tags cropped M & S cotton trousers, great for the summer, £3 and a brand new with a £35 price tag on Next work skirt for £3.50.

Most of my clothes are from charity shops and the odd car boot. I dont have a big clothes budget and shopping this way means I get better quality clothes at Primark prices :money:
    I have every possession I want. I have a lot of friends who have a lot more possessions. But in some cases I feel the possessions possess them, rather than the other way round
  • I bought my not yet 2yr old LO a Thomas the Tank Engine Umbrella - it was 50p! He loves it and loves walking with it even when its not raining.
    I need to start saving so I plan to save £2 a week to start with:beer:
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Zepsgal & Compbunny:

What you might consider is going to another nearby neighbourhood which is a bit more upmarket that where you might live. The charity shops I visit are not the nearest ones to me. Tried those but I live somewhere rather ghetto fabulous. The people are nice but they don't invest in good qualtity clothes for themselves. Their kids are a different story however.

There could be some CSs that you're not familiar with which could be almost on your door-step but tucked away from your normal routes : take a look on the yell.com website for their listings, I think you can sort by post-code.
  • mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Im going out with DD for my mothers day meal tomorrow and have the chance to pop into a really good charity shop while there...its only the small town next to my village but somewhere I never go...DD has been a couple of times and got DGD a lovely minnie mouse rainmac only £2.49 and its from Disney shop..Also got my LO a grey hooded top and long sleeved t-shirt both Next..for £1,49 each...looking forward to it...will let you know if i get any bargains tomorrow

Good luck everyone x
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • Xaniwoop
    Xaniwoop Posts: 260 Forumite
    I find prowling round the CS every week or so seems to elicit the best bargains. Only works if you have the time to spare though, i often use them to fill in time waiting to pick my DD up from school.

I agree that local charity shops have the best prices although i find the Red Cross very reasonable, they actually apologised for the price of my Betty Jackson at under a fiver I wasn't complaining!

I seem to have had a run of designer type items lately, I picked up a plain white cotton blouse for £1 to customise for fancy dress for DD, thought the brand sounded vaguely familiar so I googled it and found the blouse selling 2nd hand on ebay for £9.99! Not that mine would sell for that now it's covered in pompoms :)
  • I bought a curtain sample from a charity shop for £2.50 on Saturday. It doesn't sound that exciting but I did manage to turn it into 3 large (and rather lovely) tote shopping bags! I’m looking at one of them right now and I'm feeling rather proud of my sewing skills!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure