PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Milton Sterilising fluid

Options
You don't need a baby in the house to use Milton's sterilising fluid!

I use it for everything in place of regular anti-bacterial products and it saves a fortune as it's only £1.88 for 1250ml bottle at Tesco and will last me a month a more ... soaking dish cloths, pet dishes,wiping all kitchen/bathroom surfaces etc

It's effective against E.coli, Listeria, Salmonella, Shigella, Campylobacter, Rotavirus and Candida Albicans and much safer to use than bleach as it's non-toxic!

You can even add it (following directions on bottle) to water to make it safe for drinking :)
"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
~
It is that what you do, good or bad,
will come back to you three times as strong!

Comments

• SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Curry-Queen

You've convinced me to buy a bottle. I think I read somewhere that a solution of Milton is good for washing fruit and veg with. It really pains me to see people handling apples etc and not buying them. I should imagine fruit at the market, Tesco etc could be as unhygenic as bowls of peanuts etc put out in (posh) wine bars etc. Not everyone washes their hands after using the loo... Icky!

Snowy Owl.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Before everyone rushes out to buy this I have a feeling that it is just dilute hydrogen peroxide and you could buy it cheaper as that in the chemist and then dilute it yourself.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can't quite lose my adiction to bleach myself.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Elona - the active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite so no, it's not the same as hydrogen peroxide. It also has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties whereas hydrogen peroxide is just a bleaching agent.

SnowyOwl - yes, you can use it to wash fruit and veggies :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• JayS_3
    JayS_3 Posts: 318 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Guys

Sodium hypochlorite (Milton) is used in solution in hospitals for blood spills etc, it's excellent for killing all the nasties.

It's also used in the correct concentration to sterilise baby bottles etc, it's safe when used correctly as per the instructions, which is most important as too much or too little (depending on what you are using it for) can make it very unsafe.

It's also great for sterilising home brewing equiptment, or water pipes for drinking water when camping etc., or those camel water bottles/backpack thinks cyclists use.

100 and 1 uses!:D

JayS

PS I still also use Napisan (used to wash terry nappies) in my wash for my son's smelly socks :eek:, works a treat; and to kill the bugs on my nursing uniforms. Just put it in the draw with the usual powder/liquid at the beginning of the main cycle.
    The only stupid question, is an unasked question ...
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Did you also know that Milton (or shops own which is cheaper) is VERY effective for sorting out tea stained mugs, I also use it for dark coloured mugs just to make sure they're spotless too!! ;)
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • student100
    student100 Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Milton is dilute Sodium Hypochlorite solution - otherwise known as BLEACH. If you buy THIN bleach in the supermarket it is exactly the same chemical composition as Milton, although a little more concentrated. (Bleach is usually a 4-5% sodium hypochlorite solution whereas Milton is about 1-2%). And bleach is a lot cheaper!

(Note that thick Domestos-style bleaches have other additives though so they are not the same).

For babies bottles etc. you might want to stick to Milton etc. to ensure you get exactly the right concentration, but for other purposes thin bleach is exactly the same and will be a lot cheaper.

Milton just goes to show how effective branding can pursuade people to pay an awful lot more for exactly the same product :)
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
  • JayS_3
    JayS_3 Posts: 318 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you Student100, that is a very interesting link and added to my understanding of Sodium Hypochlorite.

I'm really, really, glad you suggested sticking to Milton for baby bottles etc, as it could be extremely dangerous to use diluted household thin bleach, it has to be the exact recomended dilution. Although, for saving money most of the supermarkets/baby shops do their own labeling of the same product.

Best wishes

Jay :)
    The only stupid question, is an unasked question ...
  • mini
    mini Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use Asda sterilising tablets to clean mugs about 86p for a lot of tablets use 1 per 3/4 mugs. The other tip I adapted from something I saw on how clean is your house is dissolve 1/2 tablet in 1/2 cup of water pouur over piece of kitchen towel put on tea stained worktop, tea stain fades, our worktops are very light anyway so it may be lethal to use with darker ones:confused:
  • Sylvan
    Sylvan Posts: 347 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dippypud wrote: »
    Sorry to butt in,

Some people have asked about Water Storage here's a solution:

You don't need a baby in the house to use Milton's sterilising fluid!

I use it for everything in place of regular anti-bacterial products and it saves a fortune as it's only £1.88 for 1250ml bottle at Tesco and will last me a month a more ... soaking dish cloths, pet dishes,wiping all kitchen/bathroom surfaces etc

It's effective against E.coli, Listeria, Salmonella, Shigella, Campylobacter, Rotavirus and Candida Albicans and much safer to use than bleach as it's non-toxic!

You can even add it (following directions on bottle) to water to make it safe for drinking :)

Cheers all, Pud.;)

I haven't used Milton for decades. Used to use it all the time.
    Went looking for it yesterday and neither the bottles nor the tablets give any instructions for using it to make water safe.
    There's a warning on the bottle saying it's highly dangerous and should not be ingested.

Does anyone know?
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.
    Money talks, but chocolate SINGS

"I used to be snow white but I drifted" (A seasonal quote from the incomparable Miss West)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure