Is this ebayer mucking about? Non-collection WWYD?

Options
This a long one so please bear with me - I'm not sure what to do.
My caveat - Lessons I have learnt:
Don't accept paypal for collection items
Don't give out the address too soon
Be specific about timeframes and don't be so generous and 'at your convenience'

I sold a gramaphone on 20/09/2015 and the buyer paid via paypal three days later, received this message through ebay:
Hope you have received payment by now, can I have exact address and maybe a mobile number?
I am still working on a pick-up, I live Portsmouth way and my friend your way is away at the moment I hope this delay is not an inconvenience?
I will give you plenty of notice when I do come, so no worries.
If I don't hear back from them by the weekend I will probably arrange an early morning run up to you next week.

My mobile, if you want to txt address and postcode is xx

I texted him on 24/09/2015 the following:
'Hi xxx, I did receive payments, thank you. There's no hurry, it's just sat in our living room so if you watned to wait until you hear from your friend,, that's not a problem. There's someone in pretty much every evening and weekend so whenever is convenient. My address is xxxx'
From him 24/09/2015
Great Thank you, will be in touch soon.
I finally texted him 03/10/2015
Hi xxx. Have you had any luck with your friend who is near here at all?
Him 06/10/2015
Hi I may have to drive down. When is good!
Me 06/10/2015
There can be someone around all weekend, we've no big plans. Otherwise I don't work Friday afternoons so can be around between 1.30 and 2.45
Me 08/10/2015
Hi again. Any idea of when you can make it? It it's proving to be a nightmare collecting it then I'm obviously happy to refund you
Him 08/10/2015
Tomorrow, I thought morning was ok. I have a lesson at 1.30 in town, I must have got that wrong? I can be anytime before :)
Me 08/10/2015
I don't finish work until 1 so won't be home until 1.30. All I can do is leave it in the back garden if you're happy to manhandle it into your car? Or before 8.15am we'll be around
Me again 08/10/2015 (I was confused as to why he thought mornings were ok when I'd not said that at all)
Just checking you mean tomorrow being Fri and you don't mean Saturday . Saturday morning would be fine but tomorrow not til after 1.30
Me again 08/10/2015 (This suggestion would have saved him an hour of driving out into the sticks - Woodbridge was also listed as the location in the original ebay details)
Alternatively I can get it in my boot and meet you at Wyevale car park in Woodbridge at just after 1 but I'll need to know asap so I have time to get it in the car in the morning
Him 08/10/2015
Need to check where Woodbridge is but seems like a plan I can come visit next week
Me 08/10/2015 (I was wondering why he has a lesson in my local town when we live so far away...)
You have to pass Woodbridge to get to where we live anyway so if you were planning for tomorrow and have a lesson in town, which I'm assuming is Ipswich, then I don't see why that wouldn't be a perfect solution?
Him 08/10/2015
Sorry to be a pain, if early mornings are ok next week that's best for me
Me 08/10/2015
Ok. Pick which day wuits, best between 7.30 and 8.15 and let me know
Me again (final panic)
Just checking that you're aware I'm in Suffolk? I think there's another Woodbridge somewhere but it's not that one
And that's it.

Firstly, the location was listed in the ebay listings as Woodbridge, GB but I would have though he would have checked that before, especially as he said he has a friend who lives nearby.
Secondly, something smacks of taking the pee in this whole exchange, but I can't figure out if he's a bit eccentric, or old or what.
Finally, I didn't specify a timeframe in my listing so am unsure what to do. He now has my mobile number, my address and when I'm at work - I feel like a right rookie!
Next step?
DFW challenge Debt-free by Dec 2016
Oct 2015 debt:
MBNA £1300
Lloyds £1800
Virgin £4400

Comments

• discat11
    discat11 Posts: 527 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd give him another week then refund and resist, make it clear that if no collection by xx date you apologise but you'll have to resist as it's taking up room.

Most of the items I sell I don't need to -they are just taking up space.

Might be worth clarifying the address on your eBay/paypal account however JIC this causes issues later though?

Maybe he was assuming (as I would) Woodbridge was Surrey?
  • ellersb
    ellersb Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks - I'd be more than happy to refund him through paypal and tell him to bring cash on collection as well, but I'm assuming I'd need to tell him before doing all that? I'm just annoyed because if something is collection only, I check how many miles away it is (which ebay works out anyway), google maps it and then decide how convenient it is before going for it!
    Oct 2015 debt:
    MBNA £1300
    Lloyds £1800
    Virgin £4400
  • Brooker_Dave
    Brooker_Dave Posts: 5,196 Forumite
    Options
    They either turn up straight away, or string it out and are never seen.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Collection only items are a nightmare in ebay and I avoid them whenever possible and try and sell locally instead.

OP, check out two stick threads on this board, the postage one to explain how the paypal on collection scam works, and also the dedicated thread about collection only items.

Personally I would be looking at getting out of this sale now with the least damage possible to my account. If buyer is happy to cancel then using the drop down menu by the item in your sales mark it as payment not received. Then , and only then click cancel transaction which gives you the option of cancelling and automatically refunding. be careful to choose the option 'problems with buyer address/ buyer requested cancellation' .

That leaves buyer still able to collect and bring cash, he is still able to leave feedback and has cost you 20p in paypal fees, but it shouldn't result in an automatic defect.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ellersb
    Options
    Thanks soolin. I've texted him saying I think it's for the best that we just cancel the sale and I refund him and to respond by the end of today. I feel like I should wait until he replies before just doing.
    Oct 2015 debt:
    MBNA £1300
    Lloyds £1800
    Virgin £4400
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Rather than texting, have you actually phoned this person and had one of those normal conversation things??
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • ellersb
    Options
    Nope not yet. I might tonight. I'm not very good on the phone and kind of feel once comms have been started electronically then that's how they stay! Which I understand is backwards.
    Oct 2015 debt:
    MBNA £1300
    Lloyds £1800
    Virgin £4400
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A polite phone call will sort it.

Just phone them up, ask if they are still interested, Ask if they would mind paying cash on collection as Paypal reauires a tracking number, and then arrange a date.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Frankly I do not see what the fuss is all about. It would appear that the buyer has just not thought through all the consequences of picking up the item and consequently has difficulty in arranging a date or he could be a sort of laid back guy. I cannot see anything in the communication which suggests that he could be a fraudster. As pinkshoes has suggested, a telephone call might be the best option.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mistral001 wrote: »
    Frankly I do not see what the fuss is all about. It would appear that the buyer has just not thought through all the consequences of picking up the item and consequently has difficulty in arranging a date or he could be a sort of laid back guy. I cannot see anything in the communication which suggests that he could be a fraudster. As pinkshoes has suggested, a telephone call might be the best option.

Or it could be a scam where the buyer has bought lots of collect only items and paid by paypal. Then when their "friend" has collected enough stuff they claim item not received or fraudulent transaction on their CC and get all their money back.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure