OU Students Past, Present and Future

Comments

• scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 6,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I found S216 awful, really didn't enjoy it Jojo. But then was never keen on Environmental science at uni either, might go back to it another time but for now its been written out of my plans.

Am 2 TMA's in to Oceanography too and loving it - will be interesting to see how the course looks as they're apparently rewriting it before next year. Waiting on the result of TMA2 at the moment, not confident though as I mucked up the dates and had to do far too much of it the night before it was due.

Have S104 pencilled in for a couple of years time, at the moment I qualify for most of my fees being paid so am saving the Clubcard vouchers for it when I get a better paid job. But will probably slot another short course in to the study plan - I usually do them on holiday as they tend to be a good way of keeping myself from devouring every fiction book in the area over a week or so.

At the moment my plan is

S276 Geology
    S279 Our Dynamic Planet: Earth and Life

at their next presentations

S104 Exploring Science
    S151 Maths for Science (to be fit in wherever I feel like I have time)
    SXR270 Investigative Biology
    S283 Planetary Science and the Search for life
    S250 Science in Context
    S396 Ecosystems
    S366 Evolution
    SXN390 Science Project course
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • I'm a bit worried about Oceanography being withdrawn, as they can't seem to make their minds up on it. Hopefully it will be rewritten in a good way - and I am sure I'll be attending the week long extra course by the sea!

As S104 is the first science I have ever done, I didn't think I could jump straight into S330, so thought S216 would be a good intermediate, as the other level 2 courses didn't appeal much. Fieldwork and labwork are definitely my main interests here.

However, these things all change, so I might end up doing completely different courses, but I am determined that I am going to do courses I enjoy (the prospect of doing Science in Context fills me with dread)
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 6,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I did Marine Biology in my first attempt at uni so felt I should be OK to jump right in, but missed the start of the Oceanography last year but managed to get a last minute place on Environmental Science - same reasons as you it looked a reasonable course, should've known better really I was the student retaking the 1st year E.S modules alongside the 2nd year ones in hope of being able to maintain my degree plan, for some reason its just a topic I simply cannot get along with, yet break it down in to narrower fields of study and I'm fine with the majority of it.

TBH the materials for Oceanography are dated and do need updating but it's such an established course as it is that it feels right despite the materials getting to be a touch out of it. The biggie for me would be for them to get them online as a PDF, as I like to be able to save it all and read on the go when I might not have thought to bring books out with me.

I cant make the practical week as its a week I'm meant to be on holiday I was gutted about having to miss it as the practical stuff is what I loved about Marine Bio too - did a few weeks 'mucking about' on boats and had a ball while I learned more than I ever did in any lecture. But c'est la vie - I'll be spending the same week mucking about on the coast of Tenerife so I can't be too upset, lol.

Science in context doesn't scare me half as much as the L3 Project course!

At the moment the general plan is to get the BSc Natural Sciences then talk the boy in to helping to support me through a full time postgrad in a field I've enjoyed (unless I've found a career I love in the meantime), still looking at some type of Ocean Science, not sure which yet though, not sure I could go back to M.Bio although I'd like to think I can make a career of it if I did.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • wadia860
    wadia860 Posts: 130 Forumite
    Well, after 4.5 years :eek: of a very hard slog, I finally completed my Nursing Diploma!! I got my final result yesterday and I passed! I still don't really believe it at the moment!

Anyway, my courses were:

• KYN 100
    • KYN 107
    • KYN 225
    • KYN 271
    • KYN 273
    • KYN 274
    • KYN 272
    :beer:

I had quite a few problems on the way and hit a very bad patch, but I made it in the end!
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    wadia860 wrote: »
    Well, after 4.5 years :eek: of a very hard slog, I finally completed my Nursing Diploma!! I got my final result yesterday and I passed! I still don't really believe it at the moment!

Anyway, my courses were:

• KYN 100
    • KYN 107
    • KYN 225
    • KYN 271
    • KYN 273
    • KYN 274
    • KYN 272
    :beer:

I had quite a few problems on the way and hit a very bad patch, but I made it in the end!

Massive congratulations xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    I survived my B203 exam this afternoon, just hate the waiting, apparently the results are due Aug, if I fail have to wait till next June to resit.....So fingers crossed xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • wadia860
    wadia860 Posts: 130 Forumite
    mum2one wrote: »
    I survived my B203 exam this afternoon, just hate the waiting, apparently the results are due Aug, if I fail have to wait till next June to resit.....So fingers crossed xx

I really do feel for you and those who have just finished an exam and then have to wait...it's just awful. I've had many sleepless nights since my submission date of Jan 23rd!

Best of luck mum2one & I hope you're much calmer than me!
  • amiehall
    amiehall Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    I've just enrolled for B190 starting this August which I've had my funding confirmed for. So so happy!! Apparently this is the last date I could have funding for this course for as I had a false start with higher education already.

I'm really looking forward to starting with the OU. My long long long term plan would be to get an MBA but I'm starting small at the moment. I'm planning to take my some accounting and management courses over the next year.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #239
    Virtual Sealed Pot #131
    Save 12k in 2014 #98 £3690/£6000
  • Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    Congratulations wadia :T :T Are you going to top it up to the degree?
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • amiehall
    amiehall Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    I got my welcome pack through today but apparently I can't expect access to any course materials until 4 days before the course starts :( There was me feeling like swatting up :p

I'm just so excited to get started.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #239
    Virtual Sealed Pot #131
    Save 12k in 2014 #98 £3690/£6000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business