Back Date Jobseekers

Comments

• cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Marker wrote: »
    So does this mean I cant claim or what - cos the other half works and is in the forces and obviously is on a good wage!:cool:
    You can claim Contributions Based JSA if you have the requisite NI history. But if you don't have that, then your DH's income will count against any claim for means tested benefits (including Income Based JSA)
    Cheryl
  • Marker_2
    Marker_2 Posts: 3,260 Forumite
    Thanks for replying. In general I wuld agree with you, but I think if a couple who both work and then one for whatever reso outside of their control leaves their employment they should be able to claim something!

If both of you are earning then your more than likely going tohave outgoings to match that iykwim. Easy to say live within your means, a double income was within our means, now until I start work again a little help to keep our heads above water before we drown would be nice.
    99.9% of my posts include sarcasm!
    Touch my bum :money:
    Tesco - £1000 , Carpet - £20, Barclaycard - £50, HSBC - £50 + Car - £1700
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
  • Zara33
    Zara33 Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    cw18 wrote: »
    You can claim Contributions Based JSA if you have the requisite NI history. But if you don't have that, then your DH's income will count against any claim for means tested benefits (including Income Based JSA)
    So as long as she has paid NI then she should be entitled to £60.50 per week if i'm reading the dwp site correctly.
    Hit the snitch button!
    member #1 of the official warning clique.
    :D:j:D
    Feel the love baby!
  • terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Thanks for replying. In general I wuld agree with you, but I think if a couple who both work and then one for whatever reso outside of their control leaves their employment they should be able to claim something!

If both of you are earning then your more than likely going tohave outgoings to match that iykwim. Easy to say live within your means, a double income was within our means, now until I start work again a little help to keep our heads above water before we drown would be nice.

As I understand it:
    1. You are going to have bother backdating.......but give it a try
    2. You can claim JSA (con based for six months) so if you don't get a job for the next six or eight months or so then the backdating does not really matter.
    3. JSA (income based) is not applicable to you.

Best of luck getting a job.

Just in jest...there is another answer discussed in another thread where we have bothmade contributions!

bw

terryw
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • Marker_2
    terryw wrote: »
    As I understand it:
    1. You are going to have bother backdating.......but give it a try
    2. You can claim JSA (con based for six months) so if you don't get a job for the next six or eight months or so then the backdating does not really matter.
    3. JSA (income based) is not applicable to you.

Best of luck getting a job.

Just in jest...there is another answer discussed in another thread where we have bothmade contributions!

bw

terryw

1. Yes I am going to try and get backdated JSA from 1st Dec 08.
    2. I do have a job lined up but due to sec vet have not had a start date yet, it should be within 6 months though ;)
    3. I have worked since I was 16, I am now 22 and only left my job end of November this year, so I think its contribution based im entitled to?
    PS: Coud you point out the answer on the other thread for me please, not sure which one is of benefit to me:) Thanks
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
  • cw18
    left or was laid off? if you left the job voluntarily, then they can withhold JSA for up to a certain number of weeks anyway.........
    Cheryl
  • terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    3. I have worked since I was 16, I am now 22 and only left my job end of November this year, so I think its contribution based im entitled to?
    Thanks

Yep that's it. Income based wont apply as you have a working spouse. If your NI conts are ok then you will get cont based for six months.

bw

terryw
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • Marker_2
    left or was laid off? if you left the job voluntarily, then they can withhold JSA for up to a certain number of weeks anyway.........

Left - as already stated though, as my OH Is forces and gets posted to different areas all the time meaning his family have to relocate, spouses of serving personnel are allowed to apply for jsa after leaving a job - doesnt apply when moving toor back from Cyprus though Ithink. Dont have he correct wording in front of mebut the above is basically the crucks of it ;)
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
  • cw18
    Ahhh!! Well I've never been married to a serving member of the forces (though my late DH had done 3 years long before we met) so wouldn't have known that special rule ;)

Have a son in the Army, but he's not married -- and at rising 20 has no plans to for a verrrrrrry long time :rolleyes2
    Cheryl
  • Marker_2
    Ahhh!! Well I've never been married to a serving member of the forces (though my late DH had done 3 years long before we met) so wouldn't have known that special rule ;)

Have a son in the Army, but he's not married -- and at rising 20 has no plans to for a verrrrrrry long time :rolleyes2

All the best to your son, make sure he gets all hes entitled with them, they never tell you anything :rolleyes: . ARmed Forces board on here whch is quite helpful (sorry if im telling you something you already know :) ) for any questions x
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts