British Gas & Power Flush

Comments

• redboy1
    redboy1 Posts: 199
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    robsielea wrote: »
    Hi all. My combi boiler has stopped working (pilot light has gone out and ignition button no longer works) and my plumber is due to replace my boiler. He says that if he can't get the existing boiler to power up in order to drain the system then I will need a power flush (£200). Is this true?

The £200 for power flush would be on top of the £1650 he has quoted to replace the boiler. This is including the price of a new combi boiler (same model I can buy new on ebay for £800), making his labour charges £850 for a day's work - is this too much to pay for labour? The existing pipework is 22mm so no changes to pipework but would include cleaning system with x300, disposing of old boiler, reconnecting pipework, testing and notifying gas safe register.

Any help much appreciated!

Many thanks!

What make is the combi & model ?
    How much warranty you getting ?
    Is he putting a filter & protector in such as this http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/fernox-tf1-installer-s-pack/

Ive just had a new viessmann boiler £950, power flush, filter pack, wireless thermostat/programmer, installation for £1800. He was a viessmann trained installer which gives me 5 years parts & labour warranty.
  • redboy1 wrote: »
    What make is the combi & model ?
    How much warranty you getting ?
    Is he putting a filter & protector in such as this http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/fernox-tf1-installer-s-pack/

Ive just had a new viessmann boiler £950, power flush, filter pack, wireless thermostat/programmer, installation for £1800. He was a viessmann trained installer which gives me 5 years parts & labour warranty.

The fernox TF1 is a really good choice. i fit these now
    X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
    Please don,t let this put you off.
  • Chatting to my wife about how often she moans about the heating system in our house, I have decided to spend some money and upgrade the boiler.

Our present boiler is 15 years old and works! The rads throughout the house heat up at different rates, the hall rad can be red hot, the one in the lounge a few feet away just lukewarm.

I really want someone to come in and tell me how the system can be improved. I will not be surprised if a Combi Boiler is recommended as I have been reading up on them and hot water on demand seems better than wasting a tank full of hot water, that may not get used.

No sooner do I respond to an advert offering a quote and an assessment from British Gas, I look at this site and see that BG gets quite a slating. Am I doing right?

Kind regards.

Norman
  • wyattnorm wrote: »
    Chatting to my wife about how often she moans about the heating system in our house, I have decided to spend some money and upgrade the boiler.

Our present boiler is 15 years old and works! The rads throughout the house heat up at different rates, the hall rad can be red hot, the one in the lounge a few feet away just lukewarm.

I really want someone to come in and tell me how the system can be improved. I will not be surprised if a Combi Boiler is recommended as I have been reading up on them and hot water on demand seems better than wasting a tank full of hot water, that may not get used.

No sooner do I respond to an advert offering a quote and an assessment from British Gas, I look at this site and see that BG gets quite a slating. Am I doing right?

Kind regards.

Norman
    Hi Norman

If you say what area you are there maybe somebody on here that can help
  • Contact the power flush association, they have members everywhere and they charge about half the price of the big companies. They can do this because they are smaller local companies with less overheads. I saved over £400 on power flushing my system. The insurance companies are just too expensive!
    I joined the powerflush association they didn't want any proof that I could do the job.
    Then they asked me for £125 a month to be a member lol
  • To make sure you don't get ripped of when you need a power flush, just use one of the approved members of the Powerflush Association. I am a member and if my clients are not happy with my work they can submit a complaint to them.
    Have they now asked you to pay £125 a month as well.
  • ollski
    ollski Posts: 943 Forumite
    'powerflush association'?, that is the funniest thing I ever heard.
  • Winchy
    Winchy Posts: 47 Forumite
    Just been quoted £90 for a powerflush by a local plumber who we use regularly at the company I work for. British Gas said £800.........
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Winchy wrote: »
    Just been quoted £90 for a powerflush by a local plumber who we use regularly at the company I work for. British Gas said £800.........

£90 - £30 for chemicals (Fernox/Sentinel) doesn't leave much to show for the better part of a day's work...cash job? How many rads?
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • ihateyes
    ihateyes Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    £90 - £30 for chemicals (Fernox/Sentinel) doesn't leave much to show for the better part of a day's work...cash job? How many rads?

Powerflush takes a good day to do. most gas engrs charge around £60 and hour for labour..... so id be somewhat sceptical.
    Promo codes are never always cheaper..... isnt that right EuropCar?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure