Spoilt Cake

Options
Hi everyone,

So we've just had our wedding, which was amazing, however, the bottom tier of our cake collapsed and caused the other tiers to crack. I sent a balanced email to the cake maker:

I am just getting in touch with you following our wedding on DATE at VENUE. I wasn’t present when you arrived with the cake but was told by venue staff that the bottom tier collapsed and that you had accepted and acknowledged this and as a result the remaining three higher tiers were also all cracked and damaged as a result. I’ve attached the photos for your reference in which it shows cracks, damage and the icing shapeless in places. In addition, the largest tier was to be white chocolate and raspberry, however, from the tasting we attended at yours to the bottom tier (that in part was kept) was vastly different in taste and visually and in no way similar, the bottom tier we would compare and liken to a Victoria sponge. We chose the white chocolate and raspberry for our bottom tier as this was our favourite and feel thoroughly disappointed with the product received which does not give rise to our expectations having met and discussed the end product with you.

As I am sure you will understand a wedding is a huge, important and symbolic day for any couple and their family, as it only comes around once, and that as a result most couples (like us) paid out huge amounts for a photographer too in order to capture every possible moment of our day and worked hard to make sure that every little touch is how we want it.

We have been left feeling upset and disappointed about the cake, especially given the significance of the cake which is also used as a centrepiece, photo opportunity and symbolic with weddings so I am surprised that you have not been in touch with us since our wedding in order to seek a way forward on your thoughts to rectify this.

Please could I ask that you contact us in order to discuss a way that the above can be rectified as we recognise that it is important to address these issues with you directly in the first instance.

This is the response we've received:

I am really sorry for what has happened, I will attach the image to how it was decorated. Unfortunately because of the hot weather white transport the bottom tier collapsed. And because of the time short, I could not re do your cake. In such situations we would re decorate your cake . I am more than happy to refund you £80.00 as a compensation. This is the first time we have had this kind of situation.

The bottom tier was white chocolate and raspberry with white chocolate chunks covered in white chocolate ganache. Because of the weather being hot and causing the ganache to get very soft, could result in a different taste.

I deeply apologise for what has happened, and completely understand where you are coming from. As we were short of time , we could not redecorate the cake. I had gone back home to get all my decorating equipment and materials.

Please let me know if you are ok to accept a refund of £80.00 as a compensation for weather conditions causing the cake to collapse.

We paid £300 for our cake and this isn't even a third off. I'm really disappointed as every tier was spoilt as a result and the bottom tier (of what was saved) had no raspberries in it so in my eyes it isn't just "a change in flavour due to temperature". Our wedding was on Sunday morning so it was not above 20C by this time.

Could anyone kindly advise me on their thoughts around this?

Thank you,

Em :)
Emily :A

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm confused, has the wedding happened??

Chalk it up to experience...would you have rather had hot weather and a cracked cake or cold and rain and a perfect cake. I know what I would have liked more....

It's only cake. Move on.
  • evherkes
    evherkes Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes Andy the wedding has happened.

I shouldn't have to choose, in my eyes I've paid for a cake that was to be as I discussed with the cake maker. There was no explanation of what "could" happen if certain things were chosen ingredient wise.

It's not only cake to as my correspondence to her says, I saved over 8 years to get married so I'm sorry but your comment really isn't very helpful to me.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Will getting the full £300 make you much happier?
    It's done, something to talk about "such lovely weather that the cake spoilt". In the grand scheme of things, things could have gone a lot worse. Putting so much energy and emphasis into a small mistake will only ruin your memory of such a lovely day. Honestly, let it go.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    evherkes wrote: »
    It's not only cake to as my correspondence to her says, I saved over 8 years to get married so I'm sorry but your comment really isn't very helpful to me.
    I suspect, like many posters, you'll think any reply that doesn't agree with you "isn't very helpful" :cool:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

It is just a cake at the end of the day.

The wedding day is just that one day. The marriage is for rest of the your life.

Yes I am sure it is disappointing for you. But everyone I am sure had a great day. And if you ask anyone attending I doubt they would have noticed about the cake. The only people it was important to was you and maybe your husband.

What do you want the cake maker to do. Pay for you to have the whole day again?

Take the money and enjoy your marriage. There are lot more things that could have gone wrong. Don't let the cake ruin your special day.

Maybe one day you will be able to look back at it and laugh about it with your husband.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The cake maker accepts the cake had problems, and is prepared to make a payment - how much do you want ?

After deciding that it is just a simple negotiation.
  • evherkes
    Options
    For me I, I would want more than £80 back, as she did not even have the courtesy to make any contact with me after our wedding to even apologise. That is the insult for me, I've given someone my hard earned money and they don't even have the decency to hold their hands up until I contact them and then it's not even a third off to make any amends.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over the fact it was ruined, that's a fact and it cannot be undone.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Options
    Take the £80, it's a fair offer, it's a cake, move on.
  • evherkes
    Options
    No one mentioned about the cake because we hid it in the back of the room as it was hideous that's why there was no mention!
  • ssparks2003
    ssparks2003 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There was no explanation of what "could" happen if certain things were chosen ingredient wise.

Wow, you have managed to pass through life to get to an an age where you can marry but you were unaware that some things go soft and even melt when they get warm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure