Cherry takes the reins

Comments

• Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    I've just caught up with your diary and wow loads going on! You do amazingly well you should be proud!

I also have a dolls house at my parents from me being small my grandad made us girls all one each a bit different
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,026 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 10 June 2017 at 11:59PM
    A free Saturday morning in summer usually means car boot trawling for us, but this morning it was raining.

I still don't have The Shoes for The Wedding. I saw some very nice ones today which cost a lot more than I really wanted to pay... I have also put a bid on a much cheaper pair which are close to my original plan so after much too-ing and fro-ing I've decided if I win the 3bay ones and love them, it's problem solved. If I'm still in doubt I take The Dress to the shop to see how the pretty shoes look next to it, and to try walking in both shoes instead of just trying one on. How to justify spending that much for something that will almost undoubtedly look great but will never get worn again (unless one of my other children surprises us with wedding plans).

Also on 3bay, I bid for a bag for the wedding and I've won it so I'm hoping it looks good with the dress as I don't want to corner myself into getting the bag that matches The Pretty Shoes. The two together would be nearly what I paid for The Dress!

This evening I dropped off the 4von order (nearly £10) and will count that as being spent today as the money for it is pinned to the kitchen notice board.

This diet I'm on... not sure I should be as strict with myself as I'm being. It's really hard to keep to the allowance though it's only supposed to be 'moderate'. Weight loss is very slow with me (partly a medical thing but significantly a tendency to snack!) but even for The Wedding, pushing too hard will mean I'm not as fit as I should be. (No run today btw). I'm going to give it some more thought.

Spends:
    Clothing/bag - £10.20
    Toiletries - £9.23

Confession time:
    Various bids put on 3bay - mostly holiday clothes.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 12 June 2017 at 10:41PM
    11th
    NSD, no run either - and a swap-round of shifts at work so I did this morning instead of this evening. That's good in that I get to see DH and DS (though sadly not for long) and watch Poldark (possibly not such a good idea as I don't need drama!).

MS stuff:
    Resisted those goodies being sold at work (again)
    Picked up another shift
    Tracked down the payslips that prove I had had a contract I was never sent! It was only for about 3 months and was a step between two similar contracts, but it doesn't appear in my pension record which, combined with the absence of paperwork, makes me think HR either never knew about it or forgot to tell other departments. Now I have to find the pensions paperwork and go and annoy HR, but not tonight, or even this week.

Today 12th: has been a bit spendy. I'm off to work on Mum's house for 3 days and decided to do an online order rather than try to carry all my food or buy locally, which is costly and limited (though they do nice cakes). I will tweak that order last thing tonight so the total will change. I've also had some successful bids on 3bay (holiday wear). Another non-run day: I did intend to but work was long (2.5 miles of trudging corridors so it was sort-of exercise too), it's already late and I have lots to sort out for the trip to go to plan. My running belt has arrived, though! I'll take running things with me and try for at least one, maybe two - such a gorgeous area to be out in!

The diet...? The diet is progressing, but I've had to slacken off the pressure. It just felt as though I was losing strength. I've gone a shade easier on myself which means of course it will take longer but I'm less likely to crash and burn.

When I come back from Mum's, it's quick change time then out for another shift, so I may not manage to log in again till some time on Saturday. I'm nearly out of roaming data, but it tops up in a couple of days so at that point I may well have a brief catch-up. Got to be limited, though - and reception is terrible.

Spends:
    Housekeeping £43.14 + £11.44
    Clothing £29.73

MS stuff:
    Found some nice marinated yellow-stickered chicken for tea, coupled with rice and some cauliflower that needed finishing... and it was low-calorie. :)
    Had a sort-out of the fridge and found some interesting stuff... will take a bit with me and take those things off the supermarket bill.

Confession time:
    Going to way over on the food bill again, due to having to make the most of that online shop.
    Some treats as well as needs in that food shopping list.
    I'm going to have to chuck out some of the veg. Lettuce lacks appeal when it goes funny colours at the edges.

• Cherryfudge
    Well, I'm back, and I really shouldn't be let out alone! No time to do a proper update just yet but... I went to buy an ice cream and came back with a chicken coop.

• How exciting! When are the hens arriving??!! I used to keep chickens and love having them pecking around the garden, although I had to fence off any areas that I didn't want scratched up or eaten! The eggs are fantastic too. Any particular type of hen in mind? Light Sussex and RIR are good egg layers...*slopes off before I go on and on about poultry!*
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ooh jealous. I would love hens too. What cuties.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Cherryfudge
    The hens are planned but I really didn't expect to start this year!

When I was a child, we always had chickens, usually a RIR x Light Sussex but in later years Mum had bantams and that's what I've decided to do, too. Mum said they were less mean to each other than larger hens! This is only a very small coop, recommended for 3 full sized birds, but I think 3 bantams would be happy there instead. I did some research a while back, which I've now forgotten, as to breeds.

It will probably be August before we can collect the coop (didn't attempt to carry it on the train). I wonder if August is too late in the season to buy pullets? More research is needed.

This morning I went a bit mad at the car boots sale which is entirely my Mum's fault for leaving me with some nice planters. I have 3 tomato plants, a saxifrage, (even more) lobelia, a diascia and 2 handsome petunias - that's in addition to lots of cuttings from Mum's garden. Al I can do with the rest of today, as work starts soon, is water everything and stand it in the shade.

I also bought sandals and a book on herbs.

Accounts to follow.

• Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There is a big poultry sale locally in the first few days of Sept as all the chicks that were hatched in March time have reached point of lay y Sept. Ideal time to get some hens!
  • Cherryfudge
    I've just spent the last however-long googling bantam sales in my area, Honeysucklelou2! :D
    I haven't even got the coop home yet... :D

My spending over the last few days (I'll add things like 3bay purchases as they arrive):

13th
    Spends:
    Train £57.10 (to reclaim from the estate)
    Clothing £17.00
    Toiletries £4.00
    Holiday (luggage strap & tags) £3.00
    Electronics £7.00
    MS stuff:
    Took sandwiches for the day, and flask so I didn't have to buy coffee.
    Confession time:
    Discovered I can break the journey and visit a very big Primarni...

14th
    Spends:
    Food £3.00
    Chicken coop (I suppose that's 'Pets') £30.00
    Chicken feeder/waterer £10.00
    Confession time:
    Took money with me when I went running, therefore caved and went to buy ice cream. It was a hot day so it seemed justified. Shop that sells ice cream has small ads. I had mobile phone on me... end result: trip later in the day to buy a chicken coop.
    MS stuff:
    It was a very cheap chicken coop!

15th
    Spends:
    I think it was an NSD. I think.
    MS stuff:
    Took cuttings from the garden and found an old flower delivery box in which they travelled beautifully. Today they are in jam jars awaiting roots.

16th
    Spends:
    NSD
    MS stuff:
    Flask and sandwiches for the journey.
    Picked up another shift at work.

17th
    Spends:
    Book on herbs 50p
    Clothing £3.00
    Garden: 3x tomatoes £1.00, tray of lobelia £1.00, saxifrage £1.00, Diascia 80p, 2 x petunias £2.00, total £5.80.
    MS stuff:
    All plants watered to survive till I can pot them on.
    Confession time:
    Threw out a pint of milk and plums that have both suffered from the heat (though I gave the guinea pigs some plums and they seemed happy with them).

I haven't really got time just now to sort out the 3bay acquisitions so I'll edit them in later.

I managed two runs and found a beautiful flower meadow and a cobbled footbridge, not to mention the hen house... did a load of work on the house but discovered lots more still to do.
    I probably won't do any more work there for the next month but my sister will.

• Sounds very good for the garden. Hope the cuttings root and take.

Re the hens...do you have any agricultural auctioneers near you? The sales I've been to have been organised by such auctioneers.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family