Advice on a neighbours path

Comments

• Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Lots of houses have shared paths, they lead to all sorts of problems. Just about to start another renovation with a shared path and tunnel under the houses to the rear. Next door front and rear gardens are a tip, full of rubbish, broken toys etc. The ultimate solution is to put up a 3ft fence and let them have the shared path by making our own path our side of the fence. We haven't done this yet, but constantly picking up their fag ends and sweet wrappers from the shared path does start to get you down. If only people had a bit more consideration for others shared space would be more bearable. I certainly wouldn't want a path finishing half way down my drive, it will become their space by default, wheeling bin past your car etc, moving furniture, visitors. Bleeding nuisance.
  • Lots of houses have shared paths, they lead to all sorts of problems. Just about to start another renovation with a shared path and tunnel under the houses to the rear. Next door front and rear gardens are a tip, full of rubbish, broken toys etc. The ultimate solution is to put up a 3ft fence and let them have the shared path by making our own path our side of the fence. We haven't done this yet, but constantly picking up their fag ends and sweet wrappers from the shared path does start to get you down. If only people had a bit more consideration for others shared space would be more bearable. I certainly wouldn't want a path finishing half way down my drive, it will become their space by default, wheeling bin past your car etc, moving furniture, visitors. Bleeding nuisance.

It's really not right, he doesn't know I have a copy of his title plan, their front lawn carries all of the services to my house. Drains, water, telephone the works, they've just planted 2 trees in the same line as my sewers....you cannot miss it as the grate is sat besides it.😖
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I don't understand it to be honest... I need a diagram :)

Open plan areas are a nuisance when somebody thinks they can do what they like... freehold land with rights to pass across it is fine until you're dealing with an arrogant !!!!!! who thinks a right to pass means a right to do !!!!!! they want.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    A photo would help.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • littlerock wrote: »
    You need a wayleave to cross private land. My sister had a similar problem with her neighbour and was able to point to her deeds to show he could not do this. A solicitor's letter did the trick.

As I understand it = wayleaves is the name applicable to a service provider (eg electric provider) wanting to cross someone's land. For instance - if British Telecom wanted one of their telephone poles on my land then it would be a wayleave and they would have to pay me (ie a nominal amount) for this.

Otherwise - if it's a private household trying to cross someone else's land = then it's an easement.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Yes, diagram/photo required pronto!

I can't make out what the actual situation is TBH, even though it is not pleasant for OP.
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    yes i think you are correct. If Ops services run across neighbours land, does that mean Op has an easement. over neighbours land? Separatelly neighbour surely cannot change his path to exit halfway up neighbours drive when he has no legal access to that part of the drive? Or does he think the easement works both ways?
  • In schedule one of their deeds it states ' a right to go pass and repass on foot only at all times for the purpose of obtaining access to and egress from the property over and along the access way coloured blue on the said plan annexed here to on the retained land'. The blue part it at the very beginning of the cul de sac not anywhere near where they have set out the proposed path, it's at least 20 feet away. He claims he can use the whole of the drive that is in front of his house.....the deeds do not say that nor do the photos show it ��
  • Wassa123
    Wassa123 Posts: 393 Forumite
    You cant stop him putting a path anywhere on his property.

You could try and stop him, the postie, the milkman, etc usingg your property but it would be a lot harder.

If you want to, build a wall blocking the path.
  • littlerock wrote: »
    yes i think you are correct. If Ops services run across neighbours land, does that mean Op has an easement. over neighbours land? Separatelly neighbour surely cannot change his path to exit halfway up neighbours drive when he has no legal access to that part of the drive? Or does he think the easement works both ways?

Hiya, he claimed to my other neighbour that the blue foot access area goes all the way across the drive to the front of his lawn; it definitely doesn't....wish I knew how to add a photo I'm a bit rubbish at this TBH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure