IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

POPLA Decisions

Comments

• trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    For a change this is not a GPEOL win, but one of no contract against Athena/Lidle.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?422953-Athena-ANPR-ticket-advice-needed-please.-WON-AT-POPLA-%29/page2

Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination

It is the Operator’s case that the parking chargenotice was issued for staying beyond a 1 hour 30 minute stay. The Operator submits that a parking charge is now due in accordance with the clearly displayed terms of parking.
    It is the Appellant’s case that she is not liable because:
    - The Operator has no authority to issue and pursue parking charges on the land in question and
    - The Operator has not established a genuine pre-estimate of loss on which it is pursuing the charge.

Membership of the Approved Operator Scheme does require the parking company to have clear authorisation from the landowner, if it is not itself the landowner, as to its role in relation to the parking control and enforcement. This is set out in the BPA Code of Practice. However, as with any issue, if the point is specially raised by an Appellant in an appeal, then the Operator should address it by producing such evidence as it believes refutes a submission that it has no authority.

The Operator submits that they have a contract with Lidl who are the owners of the land in question however their contract is commercially confidential so they have attached a letter from Lidl to confirm the contract is in place and they are authorised to issue parking charges. I am not minded to find the letter provided as sufficient as it does not mention or specify the land in question but rather that “Athena ANPR have a contract with us to manage the parking arrangements on some of our properties” – the specific property in question has not been addresses. Once the issue is raised by an Appellant, it is for the Operator to demonstrate that it has authority over the land in question. Consequently, I must find that the Operator has failed to produce sufficient evidence to refute the Appellant’s submission that it did not have authority to issue a parking charge notice.
    Accordingly, I must allow the appeal.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • BritishBeef
    BritishBeef Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just had success thanks to this wonderful forum!

Original thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=65262741&postcount=1

Result:

6661004105_Delderfield_1_1.jpg

6661004105_Delderfield_1_2.jpg

Text version:
    Reasons for the Assessors Determination

The Operator issued a parking charge notice (¶PCN) for parkin-g in a permit
    only area without displaying a valid permit. The Operator submits that a £100
    parking charge is now due in accordance with the advertised conditions of
    parking which required display of a valid permit. The Operator produced a
    document to show the basis on which the parking charge was estimated.

The Appellant disputes that the PCN was properly issued. Amongst other
    grounds, it is the Appellants case that the parking chareprgeres ent does not
    a genuine pre-estimate of the economic loss caused to the landowner by the
    alleged breach. The Appellant submits that no loss was caused whatsoever.

The Operator accepts that the amount of the parking charge is a genuine
    pre-estimate of the damages due for breach of the parking contract. The
    estimate must be based upon loss flowing from a breach of the parking terms.
    This might be, for example, loss of parking revenue at a Pay & Display site.

Where there is an initial loss caused by the presence of an appellants vehicle
    in breach of the conditions (e.g. loss of revenue from failure to purchase a
    Pay & Display ticket) this loss will be recoverable. Consequential losses
    incurred in pursuing that initial loss, such as issuing the PCN and staff costs
    involved in responding to subsequent representations, may also be
    recovered.

The Operator detailed its likely losses following issue of a PCN. However, there
    is nothing before me to show there was any initial loss. It appears that parking
    in this free car park without a permit on display did not cost
    anything. Accordingly, costs incurred by issuing the PCN are not
    consequential to an initial loss and fall outside of any estimate of loss.

Consequently, I do not have the evidence before me to refute the
    Appellants submission that the parking charge is unenfor ceable.

I allow the appeal on this ground alone.
  • Kayleighb1
    Kayleighb1 Posts: 107 Forumite
    Just appealed and won for a vcs charge at Liverpool John Lennon.

Upheld under GPEOL and assessor not providing a breakdown of costs.

Can't copy paste sorry as ipad is being difficult.

Original thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4913721&highlight=

Woohoo!
  • On would you believe, April 1st my wife inadvertently overstayed her welcome by 48 minutes at a retail park managed by Parking Eye. We received the PCN and I started researching...
    On April 11th using the template I replied to Parking Eye
    On April 24th Parking Eye rejected my appeal and I received POPLA code.
    I submitted my POPLA Appeal again using the templates
    On June 6th we received the following from POPLA:

The Appellant appealed against liability for the parking charge.
    The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has
    determined that the appeal be allowed.
    The Assessor’s reasons are as set out.
    The Operator should now cancel the parking charge notice forthwith.

It is the Appellant’s case that the parking charge notice was issued incorrectly.
    The Operator has not produced a copy of the parking charge notice, nor any evidence to show a breach of the conditions of parking occurred, nor any evidence that shows what the conditions of parking, in fact, were.
    Accordingly I have no option but to allow the appeal.
    Shehla Pirwany
    Assessor

Thank you to all who contribute to this forum, I hope that more and
    more people take on these jerks!
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Well done on using passive forum advice, as much of it is meant to be used. And, excellent result to boot. :T
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Paddyathome
    Paddyathome Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 June 2014 at 10:44AM
    Received email from POLPA and Appeal Allowed

The reason was GPEOL even though VCS used their newest version of their loss statement.

Thanks to all that assisted me, especially coupon-mad and kirbyinfurnesslad, in putting together the POPLA appeal and subsequently the further challenge to the evidence pack submitted by VCS.

I will of course publish the full result document on the POPLA wins thread.

once again thank you all.

Paddy

"(Appellant)
    -v-
    Vehicle Control Services Limited (Operator)

POPLA Code 9061194515

The Operator issued parking charge notice number xxx arising out of the presence at xxxxx Retail Park, on xx March 2014, of a vehicle with registration mark xxxx.

The Appellant appealed against liability for the parking charge.

The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has determined that the appeal be allowed.

The Assessor’s reasons are as set out

The Operator should now cancel the parking charge notice forthwith."

It is the Operator’s case that a parking charge notice was correctly issued, giving the reason as: ‘Parked for longer than the maximum period permitted’. The Operator submits that a parking charge is now due in accordance with the clearly displayed terms of parking.

It is the Appellant’s case that:

a) The parking charge does not represent a genuine pre-estimate of the loss which could have been caused by the alleged breach.

b) The Operator does not have sufficient authority to issue a parking charge notice in relation to the land in question.

c) The parking charge notice issued to the Appellant does not meet the relevant required criteria of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.

d) The Operator has not demonstrated that its Automatic Number Plate Recognition technology was correctly calibrated.

e) There was insufficient signage on site to bring the terms of parking to the attention of motorists.

The Operator submits that the charge does in fact represent a genuine pre-estimate of loss. Alternatively, the Operator submits that if the charge is not found to be a genuine pre-estimate of loss, it is nevertheless enforceable as it is commercially justified. The Operator has submitted a number of cases in support of its submissions.

Firstly, I do not accept the Operator’s submission that the charge represents a genuine pre-estimate of loss. A detailed breakdown of each head of loss will not always be required, but the Operator must provide some explanation as to how it arrives at its final sum. The Operator has not explained in any detail how the sum of £166.01 is arrived at before it is reduced to £100. The explanation provided by the Operator also appears to include general operational costs and costs which could not possibly be incurred as a direct result of the alleged breach. Accordingly, I am not satisfied that the Operator has shown the charge of £100 is arrived at by a genuine attempt to pre-estimate its loss.

Further, I am not minded to accept that the charge in this case is commercially justified. In each case that I have seen from the higher courts, including those presented here by the Operator, it is made clear that a charge cannot be commercially justified where the dominant purpose of the charge is to deter the other party from breach. This is most clearly stated in Lordsvale Finance Plc v Bank of Zambia [1996] QB 752, quoted approvingly at paragraph 15 in Cine Bes Filmcilik Ve Yapimcilik & Anor v United International Pictures & Ors [2003] EWHC Civ 1669 when Coleman J states a clause should not be struck down as a penalty,
    “if the increase could in the circumstances be explained as commercially justifiable, provided always that its dominant purpose was not to deter the other party from breach”.

This supports the principle that the aim of damages is to be compensatory, beginning with the idea that the aim is to put the parties in the position they would have been in had the contract been performed. It also seems that courts have been unwilling to allow clauses designed to deter breach as this undermines the binding nature of the initial promise made. Whilst the courts have reasonably moved away from a strict interpretation of what constitutes a genuine pre-estimate of loss, recognising that in complex commercial situations an accurate pre-estimate will not always be possible, nevertheless it remains that a charge for damages must be compensatory in nature rather than punitive.

In this case, it is clear that the dominant purpose of the charge is to deter vehicles from staying beyond the 90 minute limit. Accordingly, I am not satisfied that the charge can be commercially justified.

Given that the charge is not commercially justified, nor has it been shown to be a genuine pre-estimate of loss, I accept on this occasion the Appellant’s submission that it is not enforceable.

Accordingly, I must allow the appeal.

I need not decide any other issues.

Christopher Adamson

Assessor
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    That's a great decision to quote in POPLA appeals v firms who pretend they think their charges can be 'commercially justified'! Paddyathome if you don't mind, now you've won and it's over, would you let us have your POPLA code so we can actually quote it as a factual decision that POPLA can look at when we mention it in future, months down the line? If you are happy to do so (and you are safe now!) please add it to the post above. THANKS!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Coupon-mad wrote: »
    That's a great decision to quote in POPLA appeals v firms who pretend they think their charges can be 'commercially justified'! Paddyathome if you don't mind, now you've won and it's over, would you let us have your POPLA code so we can actually quote it as a factual decision that POPLA can look at when we mention it in future, months down the line? If you are happy to do so (and you are safe now!) please add it to the post above. THANKS!

Hi I have added POPLA Code 9061194515 as requested.
  • zooboi
    zooboi Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 12 June 2014 at 9:40PM
    Another double success on grounds of no GPEOL. 2 tickets issued 24hrs apart both cancelled. Many thanks to the many contributors here for a successful and very informative journey.

Result from POPLA below:

The Appellant appealed against liability for the parking charge. The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has determined that the appeal be allowed. The Assessor’s reasons are as set out.
 The Operator should now cancel the parking charge notice forthwith.

On 9 March 2014, a parking charge notice was issued to a vehicle with registration mark xxxxxxx for overstay.
    The Operator’s case is that the maximum stay at this car park is 4 hours. The Operator says that the terms and conditions are clearly displayed on numerous parking signs placed at the entrance, exit and throughout the site. The Operator says that the Appellant’s vehicle as parked on site for longer than the permitted stay. They have produced images of the vehicle taken on the date of event and a pre-estimate of loss report.
    The Appellant has made a number of submissions, however, I will only elaborate on the one submission that I am allowing this appeal on, namely that the parking charge does not represent a genuine pre-estimate of loss.
    The Operator rejected the Appellant’s representations, as set out in the correspondence they sent because they state that a breach of the car park conditions had occurred by overstaying.

The burden of proof is on the Operator to prove that the parking charge is a genuine pre-estimate of loss. Although the Operator has produced a report of costs incurred in managing the parking site, this is a general list of operational costs and does not address the pre-estimate of loss that was caused by the Appellant’s breach of the terms and conditions of parking. The Operator should have provided a breakdown of the costs incurred illustrated by actual figures and they should have shown an initial and consequential loss. I am therefore, not satisfied that the Operator has proved that the parking charge notice represents a genuine pre-estimate of loss suffered.

Considering all the evidence before me, I find that the Operator has failed to prove that the parking charge amount is a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

Accordingly, I allow this appeal.

Aurela Qerimi
    Assessor
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    We'll done on above success. Any chance you might give us a clue as to who the 'operator' was, please?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure