Work Related Stress - Sick Leave – Redundancy

Comments

• lexa34
    lexa34 Posts: 587 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    wait for lawyer's advice or look on ACAS website as there is lots of useful info on redundancy.

was the one person's opinion your or the counsellors that they ignored???
    Green and minimal chemicals is the new black- I know a fair old bit about sustainability, specially energy and transport stuff. If I can help- please ask!
  • BOB_BOB_4
    BOB_BOB_4 Posts: 10 Forumite
    lexa34 wrote: »
    was the one person's opinion your or the counsellors that they ignored???
    The counsellors
  • The selection criteria for redundancy must be transparent and reasonable. Criteria include things like attendance, meeting performance targets, appraisal reports, disciplinary action etc...

Likewise, grievances must be addressed in a transparent and reasonable way.

If you raise work place bullying as the root of ill health and have medical reports which confirm this and in response you are ignored and then fired, management are opening themselves up to a host of claims.

Mismanagement of procedures, which are put in place to ensure a fair process, are viewed dimly by tribunals. A company cannot successfully argue that incomplete, secretive and unfounded behaviour which results in damaging an employee's health is justified. The worse they behave towards you the better it is for any claim.

The question is how much do you need a reference?
  • Hawksmuir
    Hawksmuir Posts: 144 Forumite
    Horace wrote: »
    See your GP and he/she can sign you off with work-related stress.

I didn't know GP's were qualified to diagnose work related stress, as surely they are only taking your word for it, and there is no thorough diagnosis of your workplace made by the gp.

Just a thought.
    Mortgage Free Wannabe 2009 Challenge
    Mortgage Free Wannabe 2009 Challenge £1,000 overpayment.
    Total Mortgage £90,000 (as at 01/01/09)
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Hawksmuir wrote: »
    I didn't know GP's were qualified to diagnose work related stress, as surely they are only taking your word for it, and there is no thorough diagnosis of your workplace made by the gp.

Just a thought.

Your GP will be able to determine if you are clinically suffering from stress, and during a conversation with the patient, any GP should be able to determine at least one cause of the stress that has been presented in the surgery.

If the predominant topic of that conversation is issues / problems in the workplace, it is reasonably likely that the GP will state work-related stress on a sick-note.

If that stress is caused by related issues at home or elsewhere, then it may well say stress-related illness on the sick-note.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Hawksmuir wrote: »

Just a thought.

I agree with floss2 on this, a GP is qualified to diagnose stress. As with many mental health conditions, the GP has to rely on the word of the patient when making a diagnosis. The patient has to rely on their own conscience in telling the truth.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Just to close this one off and say a BIG THANKS to all those that responded.

Took the gamble and got the doc to sign me back fit for work in the hope I'd be made redundant. Was in formed (by lunchtime) that I was 'under threat' of redundancy. Endured a tense one month 'consultation period' but was indeed made redundant. Obviously this left me needing to restore my health and also find a new job but actually the best outcome I could hope for at that stage.

I almost immediately started to feel better (stress was work related) and after six weeks found another job, same pay, more interesting work and nice people. Fair bit of my redundancy money left over too;)

All in all, a nice bright light at the end of a very dark tunnel.:j

Once again, thanks.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Congratulations Bob Bob on your new job and for keeping us updated. At least you managed to get some money out of your old employers too which always goes down well:D

Glad you are now stress-free and are a lot happier and wealthier - good luck for the future.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Nice to see a positive outcome to a situation.

Good luck in your new career.
  • Good for you Bob!!
    You're my wife now Dave.......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills