PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Thread for Monday 2nd May

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.
Chin up, Titus out.

Comments

• Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning all

Another lie in until gone 5am, I'm really doing well.

DW is chugging away, hubby and I have a cuppa, the fish have been fed and the dog is attempting to kill her squeaky plush donut.
    Today I shall carry on sorting cupboards and listing stuff on various selling sites.

Two of my grandchildren are 2 years old next week (I have been told that it is not appropriate to refer to them as twins). I've no idea what to buy them, I must ask DD, I'm looking after them tomorrow after work as DD has a chiropractors appointment.

My doggie lodger is being picked up today, hubby will really miss her he has fallen for her in a big way.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    edited 2 May 2016 at 6:26AM
    Good morning, I have written that with tongue in cheek since, appropriately for a bank holiday, it is dull and gloomy.

Been up and pottering for a couple of hours, washing machine chugging away.

Today I may get some office work done.

Dinner will probably be bubble and squeak as I have leftovers.

Hester, thank you for starting us off, sad to think you are losing your furry lodger aka hot water bottle.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • candlelight_2013
    candlelight_2013 Posts: 2,681 Forumite
    Good morning all, thank you Hester for starting us off again.

It looks as though we have had some rain during the night, hopefully it will be brighter later.

We didn't do much yesterday, Himself was tired so slept on and off, although was wide awake for the GP highlights from Russia.

DGD went to Birmingham shopping and then she, her sister and friend went to see the new Snow White film, she is still in bed so haven't found out what it was like.

We are hoping to go somewhere today if the weather is ok, not far, but just to get out .

When Himself feels up to it we are going to have the floor recovered in the sitting room and seriously considering a wooden floor. The cat uses her claws on this carpet and it is beginning to look a mess. We had the hall done a short while ago and I was so pleased with how it looks.

Have a good bank Holiday

Candlelightx
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,012 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Morning everyone.

Thanks for the thread HH.

The rain has been chucking down all night and is still going now, though not as fierce as overnight. The forecast is for it to dry up at about 10'ish. Hmmm.

Yesterday I enjoyed my NCIS fest and now I've got Scott & Bailey (all episodes), Line of Duty (all episodes) and Undercover (all episodes) to watch. Not all in one day! If the weather stays bad that could start today.

Other than that I have no plans for today unless the weather brightens up.

I hope it's much better with others. Happy Bank Holiday Monday.
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Good morning everyone :wave:

It's a chilly but dry morning here so far, I think it will brighten up later. Hubby and the girls are all still asleep so I have got up to feed the pets.

I am still ploughing through the washing but I feel the end is in sight now. Hubby's work clothes are done so it's just the uniforms and towels to go.

DD16 has her first exam tomorrow so the nerves are kicking in a little bit. It hasn't really helped that her bedroom is full of DD13's stuff whilst hubby put her bed and wardrobe together. It will all be shifted back today though so she will have some breathing space.

I will be making a chicken curry for tea today, I was going to do sweet and sour but I don't think I have any pineapple. Shame really as I really like the recipe from the Hairy Dieters book. This week on Slimming World has gone well. I had a chinese on Friday as it was payday but the rest of the time I have been on plan. The proof will be tomorrow when I stand on the scales of doom. I feel much better in myself though as I was eating far too much bread and butter before (amongst other things) and since I started I have only had 4 slices of a small wholemeal loaf. I don't feel so bloated now and my tummy issues seem to have calmed down quite a lot too.

Well I am off to make a cup of tea and then get showered and dressed. Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,670 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Morning all. Not too bad a forecast for us and apparently we are set to reach double figures today, even if it is only 10 deg!! And promises of 17/18 deg at the end of the week! At last!

I am off on a search for new bird feeders today. I am sick of the weeds etc that grow by their thousands from the seeds they chuck around whilst feeding. So looking for some with incorporated trays to try and minimise the waste.

Not much else planned other than the usual day to day jobs. Lunch is defrosting. Spag Bol for Mr TA and the BSD variety for me - I squandered on some Butternut squash noodles from Sainsbobs, as no success doing them on my spiralizer and I am getting bored with the courgette ones! Dinner tonight is to be a Kiev for Mr TA and a chicken fillet for me, with yesterday's leftover veg.

Have a good BH everyone and (((HUGS))) where wanted/needed. Take care and enjoy the slowly improving weather! xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Morning everyone,

Dull and grey here, rain expected later but will save watering my pots.

Yesterday was glorious, especially later in the afternoon / evening, we took the girls for walk round the field, took it slowly for my old girl but plenty of opportunities for new sniffs :)

Want to sort through my crockery cupboard today, there is so much I don't use now. I was lucky in so much that many pieces come my way from my Grandma and Great Aunt but think need to keep just a couple of pieces and then pass the rest on. Don't think its worth much so will take to my fave CS, the Heart Foundation which is appropriate for both the ladies.

Other than that will do some reading and generally potter.

Hope everyone has a good BH Monday, take care folks x
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    Morning everyone

HH - thanks for starting us off x

dumpling - well done on sticking to the slimming world plan. I always had a problem with bread, I love it but it doesn't love me, when I started my diet I changed from having a sandwich each lunchtime to having a salad, within 3 days my tummy problems had settled down. I rarely eat bread now, and can on occasions without too much problem as long as it's not ready made white sliced, I don't know what's in it but like you it makes me feel bloated and tummy doesn't like it. If I do eat bread it's the brown/seeded loaves, I generally just have 1 slice. I believe there's something in the white sliced bread possibly the preservatives that my body doesn't like. Keep going with the plan, slow and steady x

Now light, but cloudy and overcast, first morning of the bank holiday where we've not got bright blue sky and sunshine. It's cloudy, a bit damp underfoot so may have had some rain during the night, but no frost.

Lunch yesterday was ok, the lamb roasted beautifully and was lovely, we had roasties, mash, carrots, green beans, broccoli, peas, yorkshires and gravy - clean plates all round, DH's family member who ate with is, ate all their dinner too.

After lunch we visited ill person in hospital, they weren't really any different to the day before, so we'll visit again today as it's DS2's birthday tomorrow and visiting in the week is not always possible due to DH's work. Had a revealing conversation with DH's relation that reveals some of situation going on with DH's mother, we've voiced our concerns re ill persons situation, but it seems most of us are singing from the same hymn sheet just DH's mother that's not. I have real concerns that she's going to start at the funeral/when ill person passes away - we are just going to support the immediate family and those extended family and friends that need it. I tried to persuade DH to visit his parents yesterday but he wouldn't and isn't going to any time soon, I'll be interested to see what happens as it's DS2's birthday tomorrow and there's no card etc from them, if they miss DS2's birthday to get at us, I'll be really unhappy, it's not fair to use him against us. The whole problem that we all see is that she's now having a massive guilt trip because until we told her how ill, ill person was she hadn't had anything to do with ill person for 2.5 years, that was all DH's mother's doing, ill person hadn't done anything wrong. Ughhh, you know what they say friends you choose, families you're stuck with! DH told family member who ate with us yesterday, that if his mother starts at the funeral/when ill person passes away he'll be telling her it's not happening and he'll be sorting her out. He's deeply affected by what's going on and rather disgusted to be honest that his own mother can be such a nasty vindictive piece of work. I'm just trying to support him, our boys, ill person, ill person's immediate family and the wider family where we can.

We have some jobs to do today so will just potter along.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    Hugs nmlc, families can be a nightmare, especially when someone dies.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • SpekySquarehead
    SpekySquarehead Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Morning all!!

Start of a new week so hopefully going to fill with productivity and positive vibes.

My GF's dad has had a rocky time in the last 4 or 5 years. He was made redundant from his job and it sent him into a depression in which he cut all ties with his son (who gets married in June) and last year he done the same with my GF and they've not spoken. It's been affecting the whole family and it's always the elephant in the room when he's not at family occasions and the like. It's been that way ever since I started seeing my GF and so I'm used it. He's shook my hand once and that is it. However, last night as I was working. My GF text me to say he asked us out for dinner!! We we're delighted at this huge step. Maybe he's realised he was being stubborn, I don't know. My GF went without me as I was working and then needed to do a lot of prep for my interview tomorrow but as far as I hear it went well. All happy campers here :)

As I allude to, the big interview it tomorrow. Actually looking forward to it. I've a good feeling about it and working on my presentation tonight will give me a bit more confidence.

Have a great day everyone.

My quote for the day;
    "O, what a tangled web we weave when first we practise to deceive!" - Walter Scott
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure