OU Students Past, Present and Future

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    BeenieCat wrote: »
    My computer grant is only £135 i was told it would be £265 :( So £400 towards a new computer. :) (rather than £520)

Wish i'd held back before planning which one i was getting (£510)

You can get a decent computer for £400.

Still not heard anything about finance, DSA or whether I've got on to the course yet. :(
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • BeenieCat
    BeenieCat Posts: 6,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sh1305 wrote: »

Still not heard anything about finance, DSA or whether I've got on to the course yet. :(

I know, but my current is a decent spec albeit on its last legs so i think i will get ebaying and make sure i can put the extra towards a better one. And i won't buy Acer or HP. :p

I'm sure you'll hear soon, they don't rush.
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    sh1305 wrote: »

They are working on them in order of start date so you should hear after November if not before.

I've had nothing about my dsa and I start my course in October.

It's the fairest way of processing them imo, frustrating though it is.

The finance and registration etc all moves pretty fast once processed, if that's any consolation.
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    My computer grant is only £135 i was told it would be £265 :( So £400 towards a new computer. :) (rather than £520)

Wish i'd held back before planning which one i was getting (£510)

Did they give a reason, I know the course grant is £265 for the year, with the computer grant being seperate, the computer grant you dont get till you have purchased a computer, sorry to ask how many points are you studying, or was the grant entitlement part entitlment based on your finanical - ie you didn't get a full grant. xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • BeenieCat
    edited 21 September 2010 at 9:48PM
    mum2one wrote: »
    Did they give a reason, I know the course grant is £265 for the year, with the computer grant being seperate, the computer grant you dont get till you have purchased a computer, sorry to ask how many points are you studying, or was the grant entitlement part entitlment based on your finanical - ie you didn't get a full grant. xx

The letter says this (the bolding is theirs):
    The PC Grant offers students a conditional grant of £135 to add to their course grant, giving them up to £400 towards the purchase of a new computer.

What is the course grant?

It is a grant of up to £265 to assist with study-related costs (e.g. computer purchase, internet access, travel costs to attend tutorials or residential school, set books, etc).

When will i receive the grant?

The University will pay £135 PC grant via BACS transfer to the account you nominated on your financial support application form shortly after the course date. At the same time the Student Loans Company will pay any course grant into the same account.

What do I have to do to show I have purchased a computer?

When you have purchased a computer using your grants, you must send a copy of the purchase receipt to the Financial Support Office. Further details of what you need to supply will be sent to you with confirmation that your grant has been paid. Failure to provide the required evidence will result in you being ineligible for any further financial support from the University.
    I am studying 60 points (M150 & T175) and i'm on income support so it looks like that's the full grant. :(

I hoped it was £520 as then at least I could get a PC i know will last, and not have to add more to it. I don't know where my tutorials are but think they're going to be 40 miles away, so could have done with the extra for petrol costs etc.
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    You don't have to add the computer grant to your course grant. You just need to spend the £135 on a computer - but that probably isn't going to buy you much.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• BeenieCat
    juno wrote: »
    You don't have to add the computer grant to your course grant. You just need to spend the £135 on a computer - but that probably isn't going to buy you much.

I know, and they specifically say it has to be new not second hand (so does that mean refurbs?) and cannot be used to upgrade an exisiting computer. I can understand that and am grateful to have got anything at all, just feels a little off that last year it was double what it is now.
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I know, and they specifically say it has to be new not second hand (so does that mean refurbs?) and cannot be used to upgrade an exisiting computer. I can understand that and am grateful to have got anything at all, just feels a little off that last year it was double what it is now.
    I'm not sure if you can have a refurb. It would have to be from a "real shop" and I think many of them have a limited selection. I think it does seem slightly mean to not allow second hand ones when they don't give you much money, but can see it has to last 6ish years and they have to stop people pretending to buy it off their friend or something.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    The letter says this (the bolding is theirs):
    I am studying 60 points (M150 & T175) and i'm on income support so it looks like that's the full grant. :(

I hoped it was £520 as then at least I could get a PC i know will last, and not have to add more to it. I don't know where my tutorials are but think they're going to be 40 miles away, so could have done with the extra for petrol costs etc.

I feel like I'm showing me age now!!! I started studying in 2006, then it was £250 student grant and £250 for computer, as they based that if you needed a computer you used your student grant, and the computer grant was a top up, but then laptops were more expensive, my was mid range then and it was £600. Looks like the cost of laptops come down therefore the grant comes down as in theory you can get a descent one for £400 (going by Dell),

With Income support and the 60 points - you've got full grant, I don't know if they still do it, but think it came in 2007/08 time that if you had taken the computer grant they paid for a years internet access, (based on 1 months rental, but that was only if the internet bill was seperate and not tied in with phone etc), they may well of stopped it.

sent a pm x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Does the access to learning fund cover the extra costs of a computer if you need it?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family