Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    Who to consult for structural changes within a house
    • #1
    • 15th Apr 12, 9:50 AM
    Who to consult for structural changes within a house 15th Apr 12 at 9:50 AM
    Hello all,

    I just bought a 3-bed end of terrace house and I want to make some changes within the house.

    I want to remove a pillar within a kitchen. Kitchen wall falls towards an alleyway, i.e. not connected to the next house. Now this pillar that I want to remove is a load-bearing pillar. So before I give a go ahead to my builder, I wondered if anyone over here can recommend a good Structural Engineer who can advise whether this can be done or not and if so how. This pillar is very awakward and I want to remove it to a create a nice open-plan kitchen.

    And also I'd appreciate if you can advise at what point I should involve my Concil and gain their permission.

    Many thanks in anticipation.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,171Posts Today

6,838Users online

Martin's Twitter