DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 8

Comments

• I see your point about the token payments. We have been paying creditors what we can (much more than a token) and told them we are struggling with payments and want to repay etc etc. Most don't seem to care if I'm honest. We wanted to try and sort this ourselves but as most of the creditors don't seem to want to listen we have taken the DMP route instead.
    I don't have a cheque book (never write cheques) so have told them I will make an online payment of £5.
    We have opened a new bank account and spent what seems like hours transferring direct debits to new account. Hopefully HR at work will have transferred wages to new account correctly *crosses fingers hopefully*
    All that is left to do is transfer the mortgage and loan Direct debit from existing bank to new bank. I suppose that is how they will click that something is happening with our accounts?
    Ah well first steps and all that
    Valuable life advice: never play chicken with a lion...the lion will ALWAYS win!:eek:
  • Growurown
    Growurown Posts: 5,498 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    rdchick wrote: »
    I also thought you could email all your stuff to CCCS but I can't seem to find the email address :( xxx

client.service@cccs.co.uk

Sorry can't help with the Wonga question.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
  • starsky27
    starsky27 Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 July 2012 at 12:33AM
    Hi,
    Firstly I would like to say to anybody who is starting on a DMP well done and stick with it. Even though it took six years for my partner to clear her debt it changed her life for the better.
    I have a question for people who have just entered on a DMP, did the companies you owed to issue a default notice your accounts once you entered into the DMP ?. I'm led to believe that this is the normal( but not in my partners case for some reason)
    Cheers,
    Mark
  • We've been defaulted on one of ours straight away, and had two letters in (from the same creditor, but for both of our cc accounts) confirming they will stop interest and charges for 30 days till CCCS get in touch. Fingers crossed they continue to do that!
  • starsky27 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Firstly I would like to say to anybody who is starting on a DMP well done and stick with it. Even though it took six years for my partner to clear her debt it changed her life for the better.
    I have a question for people who have just entered on a DMP, did the companies you owed to issue a default notice your accounts once you entered into the DMP ?. I'm led to believe that this is the normal( but not in my partners case for some reason)
    Cheers,
    Mark

Hi Starsky :hello:

Well done to your partner :T

We are in the 6th month of our DMP and have just one default from 10 creditors. From other posts here, there doesn't seem to be a pattern with if/when you are defaulted :think:
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • starsky27
    starsky27 Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 July 2012 at 8:26AM
    Hi GB, TTFTM
    Thanks for the replies and thanks.
    It's not such a bad thing to be defaulted at the start of the DMP as this should mean it comes off your credit file earlier. If you don't get defaulted it will stay on for six years from the date the account is paid in full and settled( 12 years in my partners case). I'm currently in the process of trying to get these accounts back dated as a default.
    Don't let this put you off or give you any negative feelings towards getting a DMP. By far the most important thing is to get your debt sorted and your finances back on track.
    One word of advice though in regards to you DMP, make sure you check your credit file once in a whole to make sure that the payments you make to to your debtors are entered correctly on your file. We have got an issue with a company called CL Finance( well known for all the wrong reasons). They have entered all the payments as ' Six Payments Late' . This goes against all guidelines and we are looking to get this corrected.
    In regards to getting interest put on at the end , my partner was lucky and only had one company do this and this was £670 of PPI they said she owed . She knew no different at the time and just paid it as she wanted to rid herself of debt. It's only later that she has found out that she was mid-sold it in the first place as she was a student and not working over 16 hours. The cheek of these companies knows no boundaries .
  • Tigsmom
    Tigsmom Posts: 290 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi All,

Quick update. Set up new account. Posted DMP. Posted creditors letters & £5 token payment cheques. Transferred most DD's. Saved money on SKY, Home phone & Internet (working on cutting house insurance next!).

Feeling pretty good right now!
  • matty2712
    matty2712 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Tigsmom wrote: »
    Hi All,

Quick update. Set up new account. Posted DMP. Posted creditors letters & £5 token payment cheques. Transferred most DD's. Saved money on SKY, Home phone & Internet (working on cutting house insurance next!).

Feeling pretty good right now!

Tigsmom,

Well done to you so far,

I have received the bank confirmation, also signed and dated it so hopefully by the end of week, beginning next week I can start cancelling DD, and start moving my money into the new account.

How did it go transferring and resetting up of DD, I have heared it could be a lengthy process.

I am still awaiting 1 statement, then all can be sent to CCCS, but obviously my new account details need to be sent too.

Did you defer any months or have you gone straight into it ??

Matty2712
    “Whenever you want to achieve something, keep your eyes open, concentrate and make sure you know exactly what it is you want. No one can hit their target with their eyes closed.”
    LBM-01/07/2012
    DFD 02/07/2015
    :):):):)
  • ianmak
    ianmak Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks GB :)

£97 for the year?! Ours is around that figure per month and that is only a slight exaggeration :(

Erm, can you shop around/fiddle the figures??
    DMP mutual support thread No: 243
  • Tigsmom
    Tigsmom Posts: 290 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    matty2712 wrote: »
    How did it go transferring and resetting up of DD, I have heared it could be a lengthy process.

I am still awaiting 1 statement, then all can be sent to CCCS, but obviously my new account details need to be sent too.

Did you defer any months or have you gone straight into it ??

Matty2712

Hi matty,

You don't need to wait for statements - just send CCCS the account number & outstanding amount. I didn't send any statements because they'd emailed me to say I could just send the account details and I got an email today saying everything is fine and they will start looking into my case next week.

We have sent token payments for this month with a view to starting the DMP in September but I think CCCS are a bit swamped at the moment so I'm kind of expecting them to tell us to do the same next month until they can get the DMP up and running.

The DD's were a bit of a pain. We had around 14 to transfer. Some people just needed the new account number, some the new and old. Be prepared with all account numbers and to answer security questions. Council Tax was the worse. They said I would have to wait for a new DD form to be sent which could take up to 10 days then a further 10 days once they'd received it and I might have to ring up and make next months payment over the phone. :( What a palaver!

Once it's done it's done though and I actually managed to save some money whilst transferring DD's by also asking if there are any better deals available so it's not all bad. :)

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport