PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Maddie, thats a lovely thing to do, I'm so glad it sounds as if there's going to be a happy ending :)
    Save

Well I was rather premature and Mr/Ms Magpie had not been able to fly away, but obviously feeling stronger and spending more time visiting the front gardens of some of my neighbours. Monday was so cold and wet, I worried that it would not survive, so wet and bedraggled, but the rest of the family group began visiting and I could see it visibly perk up. All quite fascinating watching them, I kept putting out masses of meal worms and suet pellets. Thursday the whole family appeared it the back garden, he must have had to fly to get in there, dog was not happy not to be allowed unrestricted access:(, later in the day we saw the family fly up into the trees on our far boundary. We now get several visits a day from them all, but no longer putting food down. Very relieved!
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The KM magic - arrived home at 5pm, emergency watering of plants done (they will live!), taxed car online, recycled junk mail, put a wash on, sorted clothes for work tomorrow, cooked roast with low carb veg and home grown spuds for DH. In times gone by I would probably have done the watering and nothing more!

Now I need to meal plan for tomorrow and write a shopping list for fresh produce. I can pop into supermarket between clients so that saves making a special journey (I like to be efficient :)).

Oh, I also sliced and froze 4 Lidl high protein buns, as there is no Lidl near me I have 'stocked up'!

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Serendipitious
    Serendipitious Posts: 6,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    That's extremely efficient, MMF, it's made me think I really do need to work on my own domestic output which at present is less than effective. :D

Loved the story of Snowy's incarnations. :D

Day off tomorrow, so hopefully will be able to look at my next kondo.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Good morning all,

I went to my library to talk about the KonMarie book I had reserved which, according to the email I got, was “in transit”. However the librarian told me I’m 2nd in the queue for it. So I’ll do some shopping about and see where I can buy it cheapest as I think my family members will enjoy it too afterwards.

Without reading the book or too much into it, I’m already eyeing up things in the house I want to get rid of. Things I haven’t touched in years, covered in dust, providing nothing in my life. For example, my polo shirt from my last day at primary school (age 11) signed by all my friends at the time. Only 2 of which are still my friends to this day. It’s sitting my cupboard, folded and idle, doing nothing but taking up space. As I say, I’ve not read the book yet but I think this’ll be one of the first things to go.

Watch this space!!
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Speky you used to be able to get a free sample on Kindle..might be a good starting point?
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Both books are on audio on youtube if that helps Speckie
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    A redistribution of Stuff took place today, although none of it was mine!

I took the double sheet my mum kindly donated to an elderly neighbour (the neighbour had repaired her 2 sheets, outside to middle and other repairs and they were decidedly 'past best', as my Nan used to say!). She is delighted with the replacement.

I also handed on 6 low energy bulbs that a client was going to throw away.

Update on plants - all now fully revived!

Looking forward to taking a new-to-me book to bed early - 50p from church book sale. It's the first in a series of 6 and they are all 700 pages or more. Should keep me quiet for quite a while!

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have been AWOL for so long it is unbelievable. It is just that real life seriously got in the way!

As the summer holidays are here I am trying to get into 'habits' so that once I am back at work the ten minute routines are so embedded that I am not everything all the washing, tidying, catching up on bits etc on a weekend!

I liberated a few things at a car boot at weekend and i think my mum was secretly pleased as things that have been stashed in her garage have reduced by a quarter. There was more stuff but it seems dad has been putting 'things' next to mine and telling mum they were mine so he didn't have to shift them! Not everything went but a joblot has gone on ebay at a ridiculously low price so it will go.

I think under the stairs is the equivalent of my undies drawer as I fell so good it has had an initial spring clean that it has motivated me to get on with it. I have an old pine book case full of labelled tubs either of things waiting for their new home, the tester pots waiting for me to remember where I put the brushes, filing. It is like a kondoing 'waiting/lost and found/jobs to be done'' station!

My idea is to revisit the undies and clothes and to basically start again knowing that these areas shouldn't take so long but to also work on bits accumulated on the shelves some of which is half finished craft bits for a stall for guides.

I am really determined to have made a big impact by Christmas.
    Go get it!
  • dragonette
    dragonette Posts: 879 Forumite
    tibawo, the image of your dad sneaking 'treasures' next to your belongings made me smile :)

I'm getting impatient to get rid of more, it might need to be kitchen cupboards or something....

On wednesday, a friend arrived unexpectedly (a week earlier than I thought) and the flat was so easy to prepare! I have borrowed a camp bed from friends, and after it is returned I will be getting my mum's one which she doesn't need anymore. I have friends stay fairly often and there is no spare room, and I'm told the sofa is a terrible bed so a camp bed seems ideal. oh I just remembered I have an empty under the bed drawer from KM'ing last year - the spare duvets can go in there.

I have a huge amount of paperwork to do to help a friend, I'm kinda putting that off atm
    :AStarting again on my own this time!! - Defective flylady! :A
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Morning all
    Looking forward to today's meet up, just had breakfast do going to take a book and kondo a coupe if hours reading on the beach. Discovered the joys of geocaching with ds2 so spent a few happy hours treasure hunting with him met a lovely lady because of it. Sheringham is as lovely and peaceful as I remember.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure