Ryanair cabin baggage fine

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    IAmWales wrote: »
    No one has sworn at you.

I doubt anyone cares what sex you are.

Given your responses, it is reasonable to assume your bag was oversize and you're being irrational.
    I plead guilty to using a phrase along the lines of "... encouraging you to get to the bloody point". It's been deleted, presumably after a report.

The gender of the OP didn't actually register with me. I'd have voiced my frustration at male or hermaphradite with perfect equality.
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    If you want people to help, you need to make it easy for them. Paragraphs exist for a reason.

I looked at your post and thought "Forget it".

Same here read halfway down then had the same thought 'Forget It'
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,699
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    One ( or possibly both ) of the bag sizers, is different to the Ryanair baggage size allowance.
    Sounds like a scam to me.

I think I've read recently they introduced a new style of sizer. The original type where you drop it in from the top would let you get away with a bit extra height. The new one, loaded from the front, won't let you away with the extra height.

I never read the OP (well done to anyone who managed it), but from reading subsequent posts, I think they've been lucky on the way out that their oversized bag was accepted but got caught on the return.

The bag sizers won't be different dimensions.
  • the_gardener_2
    the_gardener_2 Posts: 81
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 7 July 2017 at 3:39PM
    suggestion ?? as you have the bag NOW in your possession get a tape or long ruler and measure it

either it is the within the size allowance or it is not ?

the alleged difference in sizers is not relevant IMHO

if it was ok going out that does mean that the bag was within the correct specification

I will give you an example

I am flying out to Prague in a few weeks for 36 hours. Out with Ryanair and back with wizz. The small bag allowance for Wizz is too fat for the Ryanair sizer. As with all these things read the small print and cover yourself . The airlines need to make their money somehow.
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,468
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Travelled to Turkey with Easyjet last month.

Couple in front of us were told that their cabin luggage bag was too big. They were advised they could take it into the cabin this time, however from Turkey to Gatwick they would have to pay to put it in the hold as they were stricter.

Listening to the couple afterwards, the conversation went along the lines of "Well we bought it as part of a baggage package many years ago before the reduced the allowed size, always worth trying it on though".

OP, you come across quite rude in subsequent replies, mainly the one about paragraphs. I can image you gave as good as you got!

As however pointed out though, you seem to be lacking the size of your bag in that great wall of text!
  • Let us face it going home after hols is never great and bumping in tired staff . I would not do their job and shift work as well.

I find a smile and a friendly greeting works wonders.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,043
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If your case measured 55cm x 40cm x 20cm or less (including wheels if any) then you have a reason to claim back the charge from Ryanair.

Let us know the precise dimensions as this will allow us to give you advice on how to proceed further (or not).

I'm presuming the 10kg limit wasn't an issue.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,903
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Here's how I see it:

The OP has been asked several times about the actual size of the bag. She has not provided the information. I suspect she knows that bags dimensions were greater than the permitted size.

On the outbound flight she got away with it and got to take her bag into the cabin.

On the return she was caught out and made to pay the gate fee to check it.

She's bitter about not getting away with it a second time.
  • agarnett
    agarnett Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    It would be interesting to hear about all other very recent summer 2017 Ryanair baggage size experiences - from all departure points, good and bad.

Here's how I see it:

Fact is, for a solid few years, Ryanair had an appalling reputation for their "baggage police" tactics where they seemed to incentivise their mostly outsourced gate staff to be ruthless.

Until Always Getting Better was fully inculcated to the outsourced staff, I witnessed a number of instances of what I interpreted as "easy prey targeting" by baggage police - often against those who simply looked anxious or stressed and inexperienced and particular if dress or demeanour signalled they were foreign to the country of departure ... style of dress or demeanour sometimes being a giveaway tell-tale.

"Always Getting Better" policy had of course formally added the second bag plus airport purchases at all their destinations, but many passengers perhaps still do not know much about how big a difference it can make or how to exploit it. It also seemed to do away with baggage police inspections in 99% of gate queues.

Anyway, now I am not so sure that Always Getting Better is the current intention - recent experience and reports suggest there may be some reversals in civility as deliberate policy, so as a very regular customer over many years of changes, I think it only fair to warn MSEers that I think it is the weakest, less focussed, unwitting and less experienced customers who suffer most from such reversals. I do not like to see it practiced that way.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,541
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    agarnett wrote: »
    It would be interesting to hear about all other very recent summer 2017 Ryanair baggage size experiences - from all departure points, good and bad.

Here's how I see it:

Fact is, for a solid few years, Ryanair had an appalling reputation for their "baggage police" tactics where they seemed to incentivise their mostly outsourced gate staff to be ruthless.

Until Always Getting Better was fully inculcated to the outsourced staff, I witnessed a number of instances of what I interpreted as "easy prey targeting" by baggage police - often against those who simply looked anxious or stressed and inexperienced and particular if dress or demeanour signalled they were foreign to the country of departure ... style of dress or demeanour sometimes being a giveaway tell-tale.

"Always Getting Better" policy had of course formally added the second bag plus airport purchases at all their destinations, but many passengers perhaps still do not know much about how big a difference it can make or how to exploit it. It also seemed to do away with baggage police inspections in 99% of gate queues.

Anyway, now I am not so sure that Always Getting Better is the current intention - recent experience and reports suggest there may be some reversals in civility as deliberate policy, so as a very regular customer over many years of changes, I think it only fair to warn MSEers that I think it is the weakest, less focussed, unwitting and less experienced customers who suffer most from such reversals. I do not like to see it practiced that way.
    So you see the OP and her partner as "the weakest, less focussed, unwitting and less experienced customers"?

Reading her later 2 posts I wouldn't make that assumption.

Personally, I think the post below has it spot-on.
    Westin wrote: »
    Here's how I see it:

The OP has been asked several times about the actual size of the bag. She has not provided the information. I suspect she knows that bags dimensions were greater than the permitted size.

On the outbound flight she got away with it and got to take her bag into the cabin.

On the return she was caught out and made to pay the gate fee to check it.

She's bitter about not getting away with it a second time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure