Comments

• addis123
    addis123 Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ok great. Cheers.
  • kaya
    kaya Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    im just at the end of taking a builder to court, first you need to send him a letter saying you no longer want him to complete the work and youre employing someone else, this is to stop him from coming back when you have got somebody else to do the work and claiming you owe him money as you wouldn't let him do the work , he was ill, you told him to start months later etc.etc. apparently it happens a lot and you are intending to hold him to his verbal contract so he can do the same to you, next you write him a letter saying what he has to do to complete the work agreed and give him 14 days to respond then another 14 days to complete the works in your letter, next you should call a mediation service to try to sort it out, apparently its not unheard of for judges nowadays to throw a case out of court (you dont get a refund) if you have not attempted mediation first(this isnt a legal requirement but when you get him to court you can tell the judge you have crossed the t's and dotted the i's), after all tha you send a letter before action stating exacty what you are taking him to court for, how much you want and also what evidence you will be providing. Now after all that is done and finished you can begin court proceedings. I am finally on the last leg and my builder has until tomorrow to file his defence or the court will decide on the case. As mentioned previousey you cane get near trading standards now and get fobbed off with citizens advice who (if they think its nessecary and worthy) will pass your info onto trading standards who will then consider if they think its worth persuing . Good luck
  • addis123
    Just to update. He's been in touch and said he has filled in the refund forms and the money should be back in his account in a few days. He's also asked for our bank details to transfer the money into our account instead of coming round with the cash. It's safe do this isn't it? Also would there be any reason he's asking to do it this way instead of cash (maybe I'm being paranoid) I'm guessing just for conveniance.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'd want cash or a cheque.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I'd want cash or a cheque.

Cash or bank transfer should be fine. Would not want a cheque might turn out to be a rubber one.
  • Dash_r
    Dash_r Posts: 20 Forumite
    addis123 wrote: »
    Just to update. He's been in touch and said he has filled in the refund forms and the money should be back in his account in a few days. He's also asked for our bank details to transfer the money into our account instead of coming round with the cash. It's safe do this isn't it? Also would there be any reason he's asking to do it this way instead of cash (maybe I'm being paranoid) I'm guessing just for conveniance.

Giving an account number and sort code is very safe - although I'm assuming you've gone ahead and given it out.

All people can do with those two numbers is pay money to you.. or set up a direct debit. :D

Hope you get your money back.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Would not want a cheque might turn out to be a rubber one.
    Yes, but if it bounced the OP would only be in the same position he's in now. Taking Bank details doesn't guarantee anything will be paid into the account and there is no audit trail (unlike a cheque, even a bounced one).
  • addis123
    Not given anything out yet. He's letting us know Fri/Sat so will hopefully update on the situation then.

Thanks for the replies.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It maybe worth setting a paper trail if you havn't. The odd text on Sat

' Hey XXX, could you give me a bell when you've processed the £2000 refund'

At least this way if he disputes down the line the amount you have a stronger case to show he is talking rubbish.

If he claims it isn't that to start with then you know exactly where you stand without weeks of rubbish.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • addis123
    We've got a lot of communication with him via my wife on Facebook messenger from the very start of our meeting with him up to him saying he'd refund the money, how much and when. Including everything in between.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure