PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The sewing thread

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have finished my dressing gown, it was awesome to make, everything fitted together like a dream. I did view A with the zip and hood. I altered the pattern and cut it out weeks ago. I usually do that
    https://sewdirect.com/acatalog/Kwik-Sew---9999-5207.html

The fleece is fantastic, feels like a slightly felted wool
    http://www.empressmills.co.uk/shop/fabrics/fleece-fabric/printed-antipil-fleece/printed-antipil-polar-fleece-largespot-grey/

The zip is bright red. I ordered 3m of fabric and have lots left, must measure it and see what is left for next time. This is the only company I could find that did the correct weight of long zip. I will be making another in the future as I already have fabric, pale blue with stars but with buttons. In the future I want to make a lovely dressing gown from pure wool or even a cotton velour and will definitely use that pattern

I don`t like the waist ties on dressing gowns, hence the zip. I looked far and wide and found
    https://www.davidnieper.co.uk/easy-on-warm-fleece-gown-3311.html
    then looked at the price, for fleece :eek:
    Some tips:
    long stitch ie 4
    plenty of zig-zags to hold seams together
    size 80 needle, I used universal part used, so will now bin it as fleece is dulling
    didn`t iron or use wonder tape, just long sharp pins

The pattern is so easy that I would recommend it for a beginner, it is very clearly written :D
  • Well, every day's a school day - I didn't know those big reels used on overlockers were called cops, and I'd never heard of a bobbin mate! They look like a good idea - at the moment I store bobbins separately in a little case. I tend to just use the nearest match but if you've chosen thread for a specific project I can see you'd want to keep it the same.

I'm guilty of using the same needle for everything ... and yes, I know I should start a new needle for each project!

If anyone is tempted by the idea of an overlocker, I see that Lidl have got one of their special promotions on from 19th March. It's a Singer, so it's a known make.

:shocked::shocked:
    Must go have a look then! I just googled it couldn't find anything though?
  • pandamonium
    pandamonium Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I've been considering buying an overlocker - not that I have anywhere to keep it at the moment. But I would like to be able to alter shop bought clothing and make some of my own. I'm only 5ft high so getting clothes to fit well can be a problem unless I pay a small fortune. Most clothes seem to be jersey type fabric. Can I see this with an ordinary machine or would an overlocker be more suitable?
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 March 2017 at 10:08PM
    Whoknows it's in a leaflet that I picked up, there's a 'craft' offer coming up. The website only goes up to 16 March as far as I can see, this promotion is listed for 19th March so keep watching.

Kittie I never thought of making a dressing gown, but that pattern looks great, I can never find exactly what I want.

Pandemonium, I'm not sure- I bought my overlocker so I could sew jersey but I think you can sew a lot of things with an ordinary machine and a zigzag stitch.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Thanks Polly Don't suppose you have any idea on prices?
    Been contemplating getting one and though extra money should probably go on my loan, long term will give me more things to do and save me spending hundreds in another shop a year down the line!
  • Pandemonium I sew jersey stretch on a plain fairly simple sewing machine (brother ls14) you can buy needles especially for stretchy material which do help but try to get an off cut you can test the stitches on first as the tension needs altering a fair bit on these types of material
  • If you go to the Lidl site and find 'online leaflets' you should eventually get to a PDF of a leaflet with baby stuff on the front - I tried posting a link but couldn't get it to work. Scroll through to page 27! I now see it says something about regional offers so I apologise if I've misled anyone and it's not going to be in your area. Price shown is £119 which is good value.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • There's 3 lidls within a few miles of me so I'll give it a shot! Thank you, probably wouldn't have noticed it otherwise.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    panda, best to sew jersey on a normal machine, use a ballpoint needle and polyester thread and a walking foot, if you have one. Careful when cutting jersey out, people generally use a rotary cutter, I use scissors and long pins. Always pre-wash, dry as flat as possible and iron before you cut out,. Jersey doesn`t need an overlocker. Remember to keep the stretch from side to side

Had a really good afternoon and finally catalogued and sorted all my patterns, about 30 years worth and really nice ones in there. Many from america, also canada and australia. If you are short with narrow shoulders and a plus size then petite plus patterns are wonderful. I have many of them
    http://petitepluspatterns.com/

The taller and slim can get away with lots of patterns but I get fed up with altering almost everything, hence my buying abroad

Sewing workshop patterns are also generous
  • Fonque
    Fonque Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What a great thread.

I've been sewing for a while but I just kind of fell into it. It started with two straight lines to piece some velvet together and since then I've kind of made larger and more complicated projects as I've gone along.

I've made little evening bags, progressing to simple tops, kimono, appliqued tote bags, regency corset (boned with cable ties!), a victorian corset (steelboning+busk), victorian underwear, a Marie Antoinette style dress twice (as one was a practice/fitting run) and lately a costume based on a game character. My next large project will be using an embroidered georgette curtain and turning it into a regency/Jane Austen style dress (with period underwear). You may have guessed at this point I am obssessed with historical costumes and costuming.

I recently bought a pretty ditsy print dress at a vintage clothing show for a £1, not that I'm going to wear it as I'm going to chop it up into a top and maybe some shorts. It was a Long Tall Sally dress but since I'm a Short Squat Nelly I'm getting a lot of fabric out of it!

Also with regards to commercial patterns I recall from somewhere that tthe Simplicity ones are suited fot those of shorter and plump disposition, which is why I find that they fit my 4'11" cuddly frame.
    Do not make any sudden moves.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure