Ryanair cabin baggage fine

1235»

Comments

• Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Anyone going to Malaga, who can check out the Ryanair luggage sizer for us ?
  • Jonmenzies
    Jonmenzies Posts: 48 Forumite
    Hi. Check it out in what way though?
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    EssexExile wrote: »
    That's the gist of a lot of the replies. Is one over large or the other over small? That's why many have asked the OP to say whether the bags were oversized or not. Are they sticking to the rules on the way out & cheating on the way back or being over-generous on the way out & strict on the way back?

That pretty much sums it up. Basically nobody can know if the OP has a valid complaint since nobody knows the size of her carry-on. She might have been ripped off and she might have been in violation of Ryanair T&C.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,541
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    Anyone going to Malaga, who can check out the Ryanair luggage sizer for us ?
    Just make sure your bag is not over the maximum measurements specified on Ryanair's website and you'll not have a problem.

I really doubt that Ryanair will have a sizer that is smaller than their maximum measurements.
  • agarnett
    agarnett Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    edited 10 July 2017 at 10:07AM
    As I think I have said already, most Ryanair passengers do not have 55x40x20 bags. And as moneysavers, they aren't about to go out and spend £79 on buying one either.

So it is practical advice borne out of experience that is the most useful on this forum, not hard geometric advice with no sharing of experience.

The OP identified an inconsistency between the sizers at the two ends of a Ryanair flight. I don't think it is practically very useful to bang on about the one thing in two different styles of Ryanair sizer that will obviously be the same, that is that a perfect 55x40x20 cuboid shape will fit. If you haven't got such an item then you, like over 50% of Ryanair travellers in my experience, are instantly into "I wonder" mode.

That is what this thread is about.

The OCD rule-mongers really do no-one favours in threads like this.

The OP is not complaining but warning others which is a useful thing to bring to this forum. The OP is not warning that 55x40x20 is what life on Ryanair is about. The OP is warning that as one of over half of all Ryanair passengers your life fits just fine at one end of a Ryanair journey, it may not fit at the other end when you want to come back just as cheaply and no nonsense as you flew out.

Anyone who takes few trips a year - maybe only one trip a year, doesn't need to shell out eighty quid for a bag that is exactly the right size unless they really do fear for not being able to handle the little environmental changes that might affect the way they conduct their lives and cause them to lose a little bit of control. I accept some people are like that. Most aren't. We are well adjusted humans in the main. We cope!

Normal people observe what is going on around them and learn and ask questions and use other people's shared experiences to help them make the right decision.

Geoff1963 for example is sensibly asking if someone can show him what the new Ryanair sizer at Malaga looks like. Geoff1963 probably is already familiar with the sizer Ryanair has been using on all its routes for the last few years (with the recent addition of an extra sizer box on the front of the old one for your small second bag.

Pictures of those (which until I read this thread, I too assumed were the latest from Ryanair) can be found online but unfortunately too many of the pictures littering t'internet are old and show the unaltered "Max 1 bag" sizers. The latest sizer I am familiar with has a 35x20x20 extra sizer hanging on the front for the second bag.

In practice, hard shell cases (of the correct maximum dimensions) are for those who can afford them and who do not want to think about a sizing problem, want to look smart, and to complete the look, perhaps even wear a jacket and tie when they fly! They do of course also know that should they need to fly back with an extra large bag, they can safely check the hard shell bag into the hold without worrying too much about breakages (and pay of course - but hey - they're the ones who can afford it, right?!)

Soft shell bags are for those who don't want to waste what little money they have, seek flexibility in all things in their lives, and know that whatever they pack in the soft bag will fairly easily yield to the inside shape of the sizer should they be asked to demonstrate it to gate staff.

Most back packs used by hikers are not 55x40x20 - they are usually longer than 55 and fatter than 20, but thats a risk that tens of thousands of backpackers on Ryanair deal with every month. They make sure they don't pack too solidly, or they pack a section in the top which they can remove if necessary and put in their coat pockets or into a carrier bag and call it their second bag (max 35x20x20 for that second bag).

I often see sports holdalls inside the cabin which if packed out with tissue as they are on display at the shop, they would typically be as much as 60x35x35, and indeed that is how they look once in the cabin, until they are squeezed again to allow the bin to shut! However, if not full of shoebox shaped belongings, and instead they are full of mostly soft belongings perhaps with hard stuff in the middle, they can easily be squeezed into the sizer without fuss.

I say squeezed. I do not mean violently forced. Ryanair's outsourced gate staff will stop you from achieving that. So just be sensible. Gently does it. If you really are close to the limit even with the main bag and the smaller bag, see if you can't get hold of an airport shop carrier bag before you get to the gate and transfer some stuff into it. Don't make it obvious that this third bag is your personal belongings overflow bag - it is supposed to be shop purchases, but I have never witnessed gate staff demanding to see that proven!

So just be sensible in planning what you will do if asked to size your bag. There is no rule that says you can't ask to step aside and repack before you try, and there used to be comic scenes at Stansted of some people who had been stopped, hopping around trying to pull on a third pair of jeans and extra jumpers in order to make the OLD Max 1 bag rule (remember you have the second smaller bag plus airport purchases now) but obviously it would be more relaxing for you, if you have it all worked out what you will do in advance.

It is one of life's unfairnesses, but if you are big, and slightly devious, you can get away with a bigger smaller bag than is strictly allowed over your shoulder, and as Corporal Jones used to say "you can nonchalantly go up to him and say 'Good morning Mr Gate staff how are you today?' and then before you know it, Sir you'll be through, and the enemy will be none the wiser, but keep walking, cos they don't like it up 'em! Else it will be too late anyway, Sir!"

Yes yes, alright, Jones! I think we've got it now ;)
  • Pollycat
    Forumite
    agarnett wrote: »
    As I think I have said already, most Ryanair passengers do not have 55x40x20 bags. And as moneysavers, they aren't about to go out and spend £79 on buying one either.
    How much? :eek:
    Lordy! Lordy! You have a lot to learn about money-saving. :D

So it is practical advice borne out of experience that is the most useful on this forum, not hard geometric advice with no sharing of experience.

The OP identified an inconsistency between the sizers at the two ends of a Ryanair flight. I don't think it is practically very useful to bang on about the one thing in two different styles of Ryanair sizer that will obviously be the same, that is that a perfect 55x40x20 cuboid shape will fit. If you haven't got such an item then you, like over 50% of Ryanair travellers in my experience, are instantly into "I wonder" mode.

That is what this thread is about.

The OCD rule-mongers really do no-one favours in threads like this.

The OP is not complaining but warning others which is a useful thing to bring to this forum. The OP is not warning that 55x40x20 is what life on Ryanair is about. The OP is warning that as one of over half of all Ryanair passengers your life fits just fine at one end of a Ryanair journey, it may not fit at the other end when you want to come back just as cheaply and no nonsense as you flew out.
    Do you think he OP measured both sizers to satisfy herself that they were actually a different size?
    Me neither.

Yes, the OP is warning about this but she is also complaining - she has written to Ryanair about it.

The OCD amongst us who make sure their bags are within the maximum dimensions point out that if you do stick to the rules you'll not have a problem.
    I think that is valid advice - it's certainly the advice you'll get on Tripadvisor.

'Practical advice' won't wash if you're stopped along your journey.
    I don't think many check-in staff or gate staff would be swayed by the argument 'but...but...but some random on MSE told me I'd be fine' :rotfl:
    Geoff1963 for example is sensibly asking if someone can show him what the new Ryanair sizer at Malaga looks like. Geoff1963 probably is already familiar with the sizer Ryanair has been using on all its routes for the last few years (with the recent addition of an extra sizer box on the front of the old one for your small second bag.

All Geoff needs to do is make sure his bag is within the maximum dimensions
  • agarnett
    Pollycat wrote: »
    How much? :eek:
    Lordy! Lordy! You have a lot to learn about money-saving. :D
    Don't tell me that - I am just quoting a price found at the end of a link for a bag richardw recommended :p
    Do you think he OP measured both sizers to satisfy herself that they were actually a different size?
    Well the eye is a measuring device and it seems from what you go on to say, that the OP's eye did see sufficient difference in style if not in possibility in order to complain about inconsistency of implementation of a rule i.e. a more complex complaint than you have given the OP credit for;)
    The OCD amongst us who make sure their bags are within the maximum dimensions point out that if you do stick to the rules you'll not have a problem.
    Well since we might be using the Royal we or us, the OCD amongst us (which includes my own OCD tendency) channel it towards rigorously exploiting a bargain for all it is worth without hurting ourselves :p
    I think that is valid advice - it's certainly the advice you'll get on Tripadvisor.
    I take onboard stuff I read at TA, but what I do may be different.
    'Practical advice' won't wash if you're stopped along your journey.
    Of course it does. Same as practical advice as to what to do if stopped by a policeman is useful, except gate-staff are not going to stop and hold you. You can apologise and step back or even walk away and repack and try again. You don't have to immediately test your bag if you know there is something you need to repack first.
    I don't think many check-in staff or gate staff would be swayed by the argument 'but...but...but some random on MSE told me I'd be fine' :rotfl:
    Agreed, but I don't think many reading anything I'd written would dream of summarising it that way in front of gate staff. Would you? So why are you denigrating other readers?
    All Geoff needs to do is make sure his bag is within the maximum dimensions
    No, all Geoff needs to do is decide what he'd like to take with him to feel comfortable, choose his favourite bag, compare what he wants to put in it to its shape and size, see what he puts in it actually does do to its shape and size, and then consider whether he can easily demonstrate that it will fit no fuss into the Ryanair sizer if he gets asked. It doesn't matter if the bag has the potential to stretch like a 737. What matters is that if Ryanair asks you to put it into a box, like they put their 737s into maintenance hangars, then nothing e.g. some hard tail should stick out (unlike their 737s in their Stansted maintenance hangers:p)
  • Pollycat
    Forumite
    Well the eye is a measuring device and it seems from what you go on to say, that the OP's eye did see sufficient difference in style if not in possibility in order to complain about inconsistency of implementation of a rule i.e. a more complex complaint than you have given the OP credit for;)
    The eye may be a measuring device but I doubt it is as accurate as a tape measure.
    'difference in style' is not the same as 'different in size'.
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I really doubt that Ryanair will have a sizer that is smaller than their maximum measurements.

Well since we might be using the Royal we or us, the OCD amongst us (which includes my own OCD tendency) channel it towards rigorously exploiting a bargain for all it is worth without hurting ourselves :p

I take onboard stuff I read at TA, but what I do may be different.
    But if you take a bag bigger than the maximum Ryanair dimensions, your 'bargain' may end up costing you more than you expected.

Doing something different from advice on TA is fine as long as it's only you taking the risk.
    As long as people asking for advice clearly understand that it's possible they'll be stopped and charged to put their case in the hold if they follow your example.
    Agreed, but I don't think many reading anything I'd written would dream of summarising it that way in front of gate staff. Would you? So why are you denigrating other readers?
    I'm not denigrating anybody.
    As above - doing something different from advice on TA is fine as long as it's only you taking the risk.
    As long as people asking for advice clearly understand that it's possible they'll be stopped and charged to put their case in the hold if they follow your example.
    No, all Geoff needs to do is decide what he'd like to take with him to feel comfortable, choose his favourite bag, compare what he wants to put in it to its shape and size, see what he puts in it actually does do to its shape and size, and then consider whether he can easily demonstrate that it will fit no fuss into the Ryanair sizer if he gets asked. It doesn't matter if the bag has the potential to stretch like a 737. What matters is that if Ryanair asks you to put it into a box, like they put their 737s into maintenance hangars, then nothing e.g. some hard tail should stick out (unlike their 737s in their Stansted maintenance hangers:p)
    So you're agreeing with me that Geoff doesn't really need to ask if anyone can check out the Ryanair luggage sizer in Malaga - even if it's for a different reason. ;)
  • agarnett
    edited 11 July 2017 at 11:10AM
    Lots of us do not need a tape measure when we are familiar with the objects one hard (the sizer cage), and one soft (the bag) that needs to fit inside the hard cage. We make reasonable assumptions, and we extrapolate wisely and we estimate accurately PollyCat. We know that as soft springy baggage we can be accommodated in smaller spaces than the bag appears to need, almost without a blink. Same as a cat jumps from one roof to another - they are not afraid - they see something they've handled before and they feel confident. They judge, they act, they succeed and they'll do it again another day.

And when we hear the Whiskas tin emptied into the bowl on the floor of the kitchen, we kool kats bowl headlong through the cat flap and so does the bulldog behind. Strictly speaking our bodies and legs exceed the available dimensions of the flap, but we don't break stride - our heads are through and cogs have been turning so job done! We've got nine lives. haven't we? But cats are clever ... we don't use up those lives too fast - we continually question to develop tactics - but we don't sit stranded on rooves asking for tape measures before we leap :D

You too can learn to command the force - may the force be with you too, Pollycat!

It's the more simple bulldogs who need to watch out or they'll get stuck fast at the flap and get those noses scratched :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure