Ryanair cabin baggage fine

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,539
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    agarnett wrote: »
    I am not sure it's on anyone - does their have to be a laugh on someone to keep the world spinning?
    Based on your 'amused' comment.
    You do realise that Martin Lewis himself was recommending poachers/fishermens type pocketed jackets during the height of the nastier baggage police activity of a few years back?
    Yes I do realise.
    Do airline rules mention you can't carry stuff in a coat you wear?
    That'll be 'no' then.
    So that recommendation is totally irrelevant to the discussion about over sized hand luggage.
    Most of us on this site are moneysavers, yet a whole bunch of us will admit to even having been caught speeding at sometime in our lives. We try not to get caught 'cos it costs, but we generally get to where we plan to go in swiftsure fashion and before the best bargains are gone, and as we get older, maybe we get craftier and caught less :p
    I won't admit to being caught speeding because I never have.
    TBH, I'm really not that desperate to secure a bargain.
    Maybe that applies to airlines too. Laugh Off.
    So you're no longer 'slightly amused'....
  • agarnett
    agarnett Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    edited 9 July 2017 at 2:04PM
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Do airline rules mention you can't carry stuff in a coat you wear?
    That'll be 'no' then.
    So that recommendation is totally irrelevant to the discussion about over sized hand luggage.
    Says you! I suppose the relevance or otherwise actually depends whether you are genuinely interested in the reactive behaviour and lot of Ryanair passengers or just content to categorise passenger behaviours as one side or other of the airline's rules as set and reviewed from time to time.

Since I consider you to be somewhat splitting hairs - 'cos I reckon perhaps less than half of Ryanair's passengers use regulation sized cabin bags - and since the bins (and underseat floorspaces too) are often quite a hotchpotch of stuffed loose items, airport purchases, heavy coats, light coats, laundry bags etc, all usually encouraged to fit the bins with that extra bit of umph that only the latecomers know how to administer, I wonder how this next example of my winter dress behaviour more than once in the nastier days of the past fits your black and white judgements:

If I carry an extra bag under my coat as opposed to in a pocket of my coat, is that a breach of the airline's rules? And if I take the coat off in the plane, must I keep the extra bag wrapped in the coat? And if a member of the cabin crew sees exactly what I have done as I transfer it all into the bin, do you expect them to
    1. smile
    2. frown
    3. tell me not to do it again
    4. tell their #1
    5. note my allocated seat and report what they saw on a special form to head office
    6. tell the captain?
    7. try to sell me some scratchcards later based on the special rapport already built when I got on
    :p
    I won't admit to being caught speeding because I never have.
    TBH, I'm really not that desperate to secure a bargain.
    Fair enough.
  • Jonmenzies
    Jonmenzies Posts: 48 Forumite
    edited 9 July 2017 at 8:59PM
    I am not sure if we need any links on grammar or on paragraphs. And we don't need any comments about it either. People come here looking for help. Not advice on how it shows on the screen. If you can't read what the OP wrote, move on.

It seems to me, that whatever the OP had written, they were not going to get much help. First the spacing of the question gets commented on and too many people are happy to log in here and even bother to reply and say "tried to read it and got bored".

Then we get the other replies saying to measure the bag.

The Op said the sizers are different depending on where you are boarding a Ryanair flight.

So it's not about the size of the bag. It's about the sizers being different.

So maybe if we can deal with the sizers being different, then we are done.

That way it would be a place for advice and not a place where you are knocked for not having the same level of education, grammar etc etc
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,106
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Jonmenzies wrote: »
    So maybe if we can deal with the sizers being different, then we are done.
    That's the gist of a lot of the replies. Is one over large or the other over small? That's why many have asked the OP to say whether the bags were oversized or not. Are they sticking to the rules on the way out & cheating on the way back or being over-generous on the way out & strict on the way back?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Good lord if you want to see how to stop people visiting the site then this thread is the classic example. Bullying and cliques at it's finest.
    Pants
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,266
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    warehouse wrote: »
    Good lord if you want to see how to stop people visiting the site then this thread is the classic example. Bullying and cliques at it's finest.

Or, put another way, advice on how best to make a long post easily readable so that people respond to it rather than avoiding it. It's a useful lesson in life, and goes far beyond forum postings.
  • Jonmenzies
    Don N. Not the best comparison.
  • Jonmenzies
    edited 10 July 2017 at 12:48AM
    Edited this post because the post I was replying to has been deleted. So my post makes no sense now. Sorry.
  • Jonmenzies
    EssexExile wrote: »
    That's the gist of a lot of the replies. Is one over large or the other over small? That's why many have asked the OP to say whether the bags were oversized or not. Are they sticking to the rules on the way out & cheating on the way back or being over-generous on the way out & strict on the way back?

It's sooooooooooooo not the gist. Come on, you must be reading the thread as me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure