Hive price for non BG customers

Comments

• ollski
    ollski Posts: 943 Forumite
    I imagine hive will eventually link to remote trvs but really who ever adjusts their thermostatic valves anyway?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    ollski wrote: »
    I imagine hive will eventually link to remote trvs but really who ever adjusts their thermostatic valves anyway?

You are right: manual TRVs require manual adjustment. The 'beauty' of a zoning system is that zones can be set up and controlled automatically and/or remotely. If we are sitting in the lounge, we do not need to warm the other rooms above a base temperature but the system can warm our bedroom by a few degrees before we retire for the night. If someone is working in a bedroom, they can adjust the thermostat and it reverts back to the programme setting at the end of the adjustment period. And...

'For those interested, TACMA Research carried out in July 2013 by the University of Salford showed for the first time the effects of energy saving controls in a domestic property. The saving potential is certainly not to be sniffed at, with 40% being the estimated saving potential between badly controlled heating systems and well controlled ones.'

That is not to say that zoning makes sense for everyone but 20 years ago who bothered with a TV remote!
  • ollski wrote: »

Agreed, hence Evohome making it as easy as pressing a button on a touch screen! There's no getting away from it, compared to Evohome all the single zone smart meters like Hive are rudimentary.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Agree with Chrisreboot. Hive is good. I'm sure there are more complex and good multi zone systems. Not, personally, what I need
    The price was £199 fitted when I had it done earlier this year and it did not matter whether one was a BG customer or not. I believe you can get it for £149 if you fit it yourself. For me that was never going to happen!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    and what some parts of the press think:

The Hive Active Heating system is simple, well designed and easy to use but it isn’t particularly smart and you’re essentially buying a digital version of your thermostat to carry around. This is useful – particularly for users with hot water tanks – but rather than save you tasks it just means you do them remotely. What Hive does it does well, but right now that isn’t enough to recommend it outright.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/british-gas-hive-active-heating-review-performance-value-verdict-page-2#XR3TcBF1yoBk5EFs.99
  • I agree with that review based on my research - if you really are going down the whole house 'smart' thermostat route (still fully believe it's effectively a false economy but hey ho) then Hive really isn't anywhere near the best. My choice would be Tado, a system I was going to purchase originally, before i did more research.
  • The single zone 'stats seem ok if you have a small house or flat and heat all of the rooms all at the same time.

Or if you're willing to go around adjusting TRVs twice a day and know what each one needs to be set to (I actually do this atm).

Anything more complex than that any you're better off with HG or Evohome.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    My POV, if anybody cares...

From a money saving point of view, Hive (or other single stat) makes little sense in a small or large house. The cost of it will likely never be made up in savings. In a small house you can save significantly more by having sensible timers and a simple override for if your schedule changes. In a large house it makes almost no sense at all.

Zone control (EvoHome, etc.) makes sense in a larger house where some rooms are not often used. In a small house I would say it make no sense at all.

The only place I see these systems making the kind of (do I even believe them?) savings posted above, are people with big houses who have never bothered to control their heating themselves before.

I can safely say that anybody who already controls their heating themselves, will not benefit from these systems in a monetary way. They can only benefit from not having to monitor their heating themselves, which I would guess is about 15 - 30 minutes a month of their time back.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I agree with Istar, a reasonably well set up system ideally with a programmable thermostat would be all the control that most people need.
    Even if you managed another 10% saving on your £500 gas bill it's only £50. Assuming that the Hive cost you £200 then that's four years to pay back. Spending a couple of hundred on insulation & draughtproffing would probably gain more benefit

I'll guess that after the initial enthusiasm and the novelty of having a new toy has worn off you won't get anywhere near the savings quoted and you'll be back to square one.

By all means buy it if you think you'll benefit but I'm very sceptical that any savings would justify the cost unless you've not got any controls at all.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Four year payback is pretty good! Assuming you want to stay in the house of course. But agree on reducing demand.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure