Provident Agent Error

Options
My partner has been using Provident for loans for the last couple of years, we are aware you pay silly amounts of interest but this is not about that.
At the start of the year she took out a new loan, the agent comes to collect the payment weekly and we always pay over what we should be paying.
But a few weeks ago he mistakingly changed a 9 for a 4 meaning instead of now owing 850 it is saying we now owe 350.
At present the agent has still not noticed his error, my question is this, as it is an agents error and not ours will we be legally made to pay back the full amount ? Or is the amount that the agent writes in the payment book each week legally binding ?

Comments

• enfield_freddy
    Options
    no they generally have there own record on a tablet PDA etc , unless the payment made was showing as 500 + the amount you had made its a simple typo , that will be corrected next time
  • David301
    David301 Posts: 234 Forumite
    Options
    They will probably find the error at some point and correct it. You should make sure you have the money set aside for when they do find it.
  • lighty39
    Options
    David301 wrote: »
    They will probably find the error at some point and correct it. You should make sure you have the money set aside for when they do find it.

It is fine we are not behind on any payments at all, just an error he made a few weeks ago and has not been corrected, I think its about 6 weeks its been like it now.
    No issue in paying it all back was just curious as to legally where we stood
  • grandma247
    grandma247 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Look into credit unions because their loans are a lot cheaper.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    OP would you be asking legally or morally if the error had been the other way?
    What if he had written 9 instead of a 4 when you owed £400?

I think we all know the answer.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You 'legally' owe what you've borrowed, plus interest.
    But, you are under no legal obligation to point out their error, which will no doubt be noticed before long, since the agent will be liable for any shortfall.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Duke203
    Duke203 Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Give them a call and tell them. They'll be happy with you honesty, you'll be happy with your honesty, and the agent will be able to learn from their mistake.

Wins all round and the contract remains honoured :)
    "Chuck Norris can remain solvent for longer than the markets can remain irrational"
  • PaulW922
    PaulW922 Posts: 1,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The book may be incorrectly added up but I am afraid that you will still owe the money regardless. It will be properly recorded the other end..
  • enfield_freddy
    enfield_freddy Posts: 6,147 Forumite
    Options
    Duke203 wrote: »
    Give them a call and tell them. They'll be happy with you honesty, you'll be happy with your honesty, and the agent will be able to learn from their mistake.

Wins all round and the contract remains honoured :)

NO DO NOT RING THEM UP , this will cause embarrassment and problems for the agent that visits you

just quietly mention it the next time you see them , they will amend it in their own handwriting , and sign it if its obvious .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure