benefits and supported accommodation

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 December 2017 at 11:56AM
    Please don't assume this. You don't know at the moment.

I am sorry things are so tough.

Try phoning MIND. You can get general information on 0300 123 3393
    info@mind.org.uk

Or help understanding what they are doing, and what you can ask for/do about it re going into the supported living place (and what it provides)
    0300 466 6463
    legal@mind.org.uk

Please call them. They are open from 9am - 6pm

There should be an assessment, a care plan, and I would hope they will provide a support worker of some kind (although this can take time). These are all indicators of your care needs as far as ESA is concerned, they don't mean you are 'more' able. They mean you need support to be more independent.

I hope that makes sense; Please call MIND. They will advise you and give you some contacts that will be able to help long term.
  • Thank you, I'm going to contact them now
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    sunnys8080 wrote: »
    Oh dear. The supported housing there putting me in is for substance misusers not mentally ill people. The council told me. That means I will not be prompted to have a bath, cook my meals, they will teach me to budget my money. They are definitely going to take away my pip which i've only just one after appeal.

I can't believe this.

You need to speak to your support worker/social worker about this.

As far as I am aware you can still claim PIP when in Supported Housing. I am sure you would still meet the PIP descriptors but if you are worried about this then speak to CAB.

Sometimes people are not eligible for PIP if they are receiving care in a residential care home but this does not seem to apply to you.

What care is provided in your supported housing?
    Will you be paying for your housing through Housing Benefit?
  • I'm not sure if i'll be paying through housing benefit, they haven't explained much to me and my housing advisor is actually quite a rude woman. I'm moving tomorrow.

I also have an appointment with my psychiatrist on wednesday and am going to explain everything to him.
  • I live in Supported living and my DLA hasn't stopped or any of the other tenants.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Why do you think they'll definitely take away your PIP? Has someone told you that or are you assuming?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • I'm just assuming. It's just that I was only entitled to it because my mum cooks my food, washes my clothes, prompts me to take meds because I either forget or don't have motivation to take them, she washes clothes, tells me when i need to bathe etc... And also controls my money.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Oh dear. The supported housing there putting me in is for substance misusers not mentally ill people. The council told me. That means I will not be prompted to have a bath, cook my meals, they will teach me to budget my money. They are definitely going to take away my pip which i've only just one after appeal.

I can't believe this.

Substance misuse is a mental illness. It's very likely other residents will also have other mental health conditions alongside their addiction.

If your support team identify that you need support with bathing etc, that will be part of your care plan. How are you managing currently?

Cross posted. Do you want help to do these things more independently? That is what your support workers will focus on, helping you live without depending on your mum.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    I'm just assuming. It's just that I was only entitled to it because my mum cooks my food, washes my clothes, prompts me to take meds because I either forget or don't have motivation to take them, she washes clothes, tells me when i need to bathe etc... And also controls my money.

Living in supported housing is more likely to back up your claim that you need help and support to do things.

If your mum wasn't there to do those things would you do them yourself? I suspect the answer is 'no', so you'd still qualify. It doesn't matter what help you get, it's what help you need.

Needing help to cook food isn't just about knowing how to cook. If someone teaches you to cook, but you'd be dangerous doing it on your own, or wouldn't bother doing it on your own, then you'd be classed as being unable to do it for PIP purposes.

The same with all the other things. If your mum didn't tell you to have a bath would you do it? Would you wash your clothes or wear the same things every day?

I know it's easy for me to say, but please, please stop worrying. You've got enough going on with the move, you don't need to worry about benefits.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Thank you very much everyone for responding. I've contacted mind and they gave me the number for turn2us and scope. They say it should't affected my pip because it's in supported living and not a care home but thinks might be different if I apply for severe disability which I'm not entitled to at the moment because I live with mum.

But thanks for the advice anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport