Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • molokoid
    • By molokoid 29th Jun 08, 5:46 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 14Thanks
    molokoid
    Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?
    • 29th Jun 08, 5:46 PM
    Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route? 29th Jun 08 at 5:46 PM
    Hi all,

Moved into a house in Jan that has a bulk LPG tank, which was previously supplied (and the tank is owned by) Calor. The contract they were really keen for me to sign was quite a restrictive lock in one and after speaking and a bit of negotiating they dropped the standing charge and discounted the pence per litre by 12%. This only made me sceptical that they had a lot of fat in the price anyway and there seems to be limited information available on the net about bulk lpg supply (lots of websites that will find you the cheapest supply for a fee!). Seems to be crying out for a MSE article if there are enough bulk lpg owners out there.

Anyway, i read that there is some sort of regulation coming into the market which allows me to choose the supplier i wish and in turn they buy the tank off the previous owners. This seems to be a more market competitive way of doing it, but i can't find out when this is due to happen.

Are there any bulk lpg owners out there that can give me some advice?

TIA
Page 154
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 19th Feb 18, 5:36 PM
    • 16,365 Posts
    • 14,660 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Anyone had any problems with Countrywide level of service?
    Originally posted by Gavin Livingstone
    Previous experiences are probably not directly relevant - Countrywide are in the throes of selling their gas business to Flo's parent, DCC.

https://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/strategic-update-and-sale-of-the-lpg-business
    • mcmullank
    • By mcmullank 19th Feb 18, 10:20 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    mcmullank
    Hi all,

Moved into a house in Jan that has a bulk LPG tank, which was previously supplied (and the tank is owned by) Calor. The contract they were really keen for me to sign was quite a restrictive lock in one and after speaking and a bit of negotiating they dropped the standing charge and discounted the pence per litre by 12%. This only made me sceptical that they had a lot of fat in the price anyway and there seems to be limited information available on the net about bulk lpg supply (lots of websites that will find you the cheapest supply for a fee!). Seems to be crying out for a MSE article if there are enough bulk lpg owners out there.

Anyway, i read that there is some sort of regulation coming into the market which allows me to choose the supplier i wish and in turn they buy the tank off the previous owners. This seems to be a more market competitive way of doing it, but i can't find out when this is due to happen.

Are there any bulk lpg owners out there that can give me some advice?

TIA
    Originally posted by molokoid
    It has already happened, it was part of the remedies in 2008 that were introduced when the 2006 investigation was concluded. You can find the actual order here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/55194c0ae5274a142e000365/lpg_order_final.pdf

In short, if you are not in contract with any supplier (including the taking over of a property which has an existing tank), you can choose any supplier and they will either:
    a) take over your existing tank if it is compliant with current regulations or ;
    b) provide a quote for making the tank compliant

and contract you for a maximum of 2 years.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 19th Feb 18, 10:56 PM
    • 19,443 Posts
    • 10,544 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Moved into a house in Jan that has a bulk LPG tank....
    Originally posted by molokoid TEN YEARS AGO
    It has already happened it was part of the remedies in 2008
    Originally posted by mcmullank
    I think the poster you replied to will already be well aware of the changes, the post you quoted is from June 2008
    • mcmullank
    • By mcmullank 19th Feb 18, 10:56 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    mcmullank
    I think the poster you replied to will already be well aware of the changes, the post you quoted is almost ten years old
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Oops, that's what happens when this site keeps switching between old and new format!!!

Anyway, the point still stands...
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 19th Feb 18, 11:30 PM
    • 19,443 Posts
    • 10,544 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    that's what happens when this site keeps switching between old and new format!!!
    First I've heard of that one. I switched to the new format some years back and I've not seen the old one since...
    • mcmullank
    • By mcmullank 19th Feb 18, 11:40 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    mcmullank
    First I've heard of that one. I switched to the new format some years back and I've not seen the old one since...
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Well here is a little image for you to reminisce.

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 20th Feb 18, 12:39 AM
    • 19,443 Posts
    • 10,544 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Well here is a little image for you to reminisce.

Yeah, a blast from the past for me...
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 20th Feb 18, 7:40 AM
    • 16,365 Posts
    • 14,660 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Oooh, yes. That's what it looked like... I was wondering the other day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

393Posts Today

4,865Users online

Martin's Twitter