DVLA clamped my car- Can i appeal ?

Comments

• LittleTinker
    LittleTinker Posts: 2,841 Forumite
    Im a bit confused as to how you managed to get the car unclamped when you didnt have any tax disc??
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    seems they charge a premium and you get some back for producing a tax disc
  • Nikolic
    Nikolic Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry to bump an old(ish) thread, but the same thing has just happened to me.

Traded in the old car, and got a new one on Tuesday Afternoon. Changed all the insurance details over and requested they be delivered ASAP. The car wasn't taxed as we were waiting for the insurance details to come through.

Woke up Thursday morning to found the car had been clamped.

Fair enough we were in the wrong, we do have a driveway but never in a million years did we expect the car to be clamped within a 36hours of owning it. It's not like we had even driven it any where. it was just sitting there.

What has really got to me is that there are still 3 untaxed cars in surrounding streets, which have been there for months. How comes they haven't been clamped? They simply get a notice on the window saying "tax within 7 days"?

I think these private enforcement companies know which vechicles they are going to get the money off of, and which they aren't.
  • mymatebob
    mymatebob Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    Nikolic wrote: »
    Sorry to bump an old(ish) thread, but the same thing has just happened to me.

Traded in the old car, and got a new one on Tuesday Afternoon. Changed all the insurance details over and requested they be delivered ASAP. The car wasn't taxed as we were waiting for the insurance details to come through.

Woke up Thursday morning to found the car had been clamped.

Fair enough we were in the wrong, we do have a driveway but never in a million years did we expect the car to be clamped within a 36hours of owning it. It's not like we had even driven it any where. it was just sitting there. I hate to say this but sitting there illegally

What has really got to me is that there are still 3 untaxed cars in surrounding streets, which have been there for months. How comes they haven't been clamped? They simply get a notice on the window saying "tax within 7 days"? Although I have reported untaxed vehicles via the DVLA website before I found that a call to them was much more efficient - have you tried that, you don't give any personal details to them so it is anonymous

I think these private enforcement companies know which vechicles they are going to get the money off of, and which they aren't.
    How would they know that?

The bits in red are not the original posters they are mine - in case there is any confusion (again)
  • pmcgurk
    pmcgurk Posts: 12 Forumite
    Bob, and others with untaxed cars in your street:

A car that is on a public highway and untaxed can be regarded as abandoned. Local authorities have powers to remove them. You should look on your local authority website for "abandoned vehicles" - example from my LA here: http://www.whitehorsedc.gov.uk/rubbish_recycling_waste/disposing_vehicles/default.asp

They slap a 7 day notice, write to the registered keeper, and then if there's no action, away to the scrapyard it goes...
  • mymatebob
    mymatebob Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    pmcgurk wrote: »
    Bob, and others with untaxed cars in your street:

A car that is on a public highway and untaxed can be regarded as abandoned. Local authorities have powers to remove them. You should look on your local authority website for "abandoned vehicles" - example from my LA here: http://www.whitehorsedc.gov.uk/rubbish_recycling_waste/disposing_vehicles/default.asp

They slap a 7 day notice, write to the registered keeper, and then if there's no action, away to the scrapyard it goes...

They are not always regarded as abandoned.
    My council does not regard it abandoned if it "merely" has an out of date or non existent tax disc. It needs to have suffered some damage as well, e.g. broken windows[STRIKE][/STRIKE] or burned out. May just be my council but worth checking
  • pesky2
    pesky2 Posts: 2,191 Forumite
    Anyone help with a quick DVLA question, Took Vehicle off road afew months ago as only use this particular one afew times a year and cashed in Tax disc for refund, Forgot to tick a tiny little box on the form which i couldn't remember seeing to declare sorn, afew months later they come after us with a fixed penalty of £80 for allegedly not declaring sorn, can i appeal and if so how, can't find any details on DVLA about appealsThanks in advance
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What is your appeal based on?

The offence is you didn't declare SORN.

If your vehicle is not declared SORN, do you have a Tax Disc? If the answer to this is no, then you are liable for a fine.
  • pesky2
    pesky2 Posts: 2,191 Forumite
    Apparently forgot to tick a silly little box, common sense shd tell them that i wanted to declare sorn if taken vehicle off road by cashing in tax disc. Just another money making racket
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    But how many cars are sold with their seller getting a refund and the purchaser then buying a new tax disc?

If I trade a car in, I'd keep the tax disc, and get a refund, the car would not have a SORN then.

It is up to you to Declare SORN, not for the DVLA to decide which cars are now stored off the road.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure