Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!

Options

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Have read your diary all the way through today, Kittenkirst - the excitement throughout the house purchase really leapt out :) Fab work in 2016 - here's to more of the same in 2017 :)

x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • streethack
    Options
    Great diary, heres to you smashing out the mortgage!
    Original mortgage £158,000 over 25 years, end date 2036 :eek:
    Predicted utopia date 2021 15 years early :beer:
    Current mortgage £52,928

2016 Over-payments to date: £5000 :j
    Total OPs since starting £79,806
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 December 2016 at 6:26PM
    Options
    Hi GreenT & Streethack- Nice to see you on here :hello:

Yes 2016 was a very exciting year for us, I think 2017 will be just as exciting with getting the house exactly as we want it and focussing on our financial goals.

Today was a fun day out shopping with the family and for a nice meal out together however the urge to spend was awful- we had to keep reminding ourselves 'want or need?, want or need?'

With this in mind we bought a kitchen bin finally (£18 instead of the one we'd both liked but agreed was far too expensive for waste at £89!!), salt & pepper grinders for the kitchen/table at £19 (were £40 reduced to £24. And I had a £5 off debenhams sale voucher). Used gift card for the salt & pepper pots so no actual ££ spent, which is always nice!

We also bought some tops for work from dotty P's in the sale and I bought some slipper boots (£12.60) also for in the house :D

Also ordered a new dressing gown from M&S online as they didn't have it in store- £11.50 with some cashback tracked too! I will get rid of my old ratty dressing gown once this ones delivered to store & sizing checked.

Fairly spendy day but that should be us spent for a little while now. Also lots of snugly things bought to keep warm at home.

Family lunch was just yummy (& was an unexpected treat from the parents in law) and now the Christmas Day leftovers are eying me suspiciously from the fridge as I'm stuffed at the moment! May have to have turkey pie tomorrow for dinner when I get back from visiting my brother.

Wore my new diamond (gasp) earrings from the in-laws which where my birthday and Christmas presents combined- massively generous and lovely of them.
    Now at home with Harry Potter & the prisoner of Azkaban is on the tv, gf is quietly snoozing away on the sofa. What a lovely day! :smileyhea
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    On route to visit my brother and stuck in what feels like the longest queue on the M1....gf is driving and we've been playing the car registration game to pass the time!

New salt grinder is broken :( so will have to take it back to town to exchange it...grrrr!

Wearing new top to visit my big brother- bargain at £8- it looks very smart with lacy long sleeves :D

Packed all his pressies in the boot and I may have gone a little overboard, but he's the only family member of mine that I buy gifts for, plus he can't afford to treat himself much so I love to treat him, he really treasures gifts :) we got given a lovely Starbucks set from friends but won't use the mugs that came with it so taking them with us to see if he wants them :)

Last of he turkey is waiting at home for us when we get back- I may knock up a quick pie or something with it. We had leftover special hash yesterday (turkey, bacon, Brussels, potatoes, carrots etc all pan fried with some gravy!) so not too much left from the little crown we got from Ald*- pleased we didn't overbuy and waste loads. The Christmas treat box is stil looking quite full, and we've given some Christmas cake (homemade) to neighbours already and there's plenty left.

Looking forward to eating the raffaelos from my birthday!!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 28 December 2016 at 4:03PM
    Options
    Morning morning!
    Early morning workout completed (5km run, 10 minute row & 10 min cross trainer -:eek: ) and back home to start work.

Whilst toiling away on the cross trainer I had a notification from Quidco that John Lewis cashback for home insurance had confirmed! £40 requested and should be on their BACS run tomorrow! :money:
    That will be £75 cashback received this month wooop! Am transferring it across to the mortgage shortly, making my totals now £258.98

Pretty pleased with that amount for our first few months!

Working from home today and toiling away at year end performance review..why is it so hard to cover what you've achieved in a year? If it was personal it would be so easy (saved for house, got house, put flooring in, overpayments on mortgage, happiness :heartpuls )

I've started reading the Marie Kondo book that I won when we first moved in- it's pretty inspiring and so far I've sorted one big pile of paperwork and the Christmas/presents/cards box out so it's nice and tidy and sparks joy (!).
    Not sure how the rest of the house will go, but I'm planning on doing shoes and coats in the next few weeks and sorting through. Hopefully can put things on Eb*y and get some extra pennies too.....fingers crossed!

Time to make the next cuppa and crack on!
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Work laptop has given up the ghost so have the afternoon off (will make the time up over the next week- am lucky my job is pretty flexible)

As I've already been to the gym it's time to take down the Christmas tree and look at doing some decluttering :D
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi kittenkirst, found and read through your diary this afternoon. Congratulations on your house purchase and being so focussed on making overpayments right from the beginning.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    Glad you had a nice Christmas, boo to the work laptop though!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Morning all, as work laptop is kaput I'm going into the office this morning to see our IT guys to see if it can be fixed so will be home for the afternoon.
    Good news is the tree and all decorations are now all packed away but the room looks a bit empty.

Nipped to dunelm to collect the rug we reserved and saw it displayed- we hated it, so didn't get it we did however get a duvet cover set and sheet/pillows in the sale as we need a second set for our bed :)

Fingers crossed the rug from the Next sale is the right colour/size when it arrives in January.

Overpayment of cashback made yesterday, just waiting for the funds to appear in the account now- I'm really pleased with our small OP's so far this year :D

We'be been discussing our goals for 2017 and we have quite a few, some are amendments to my earlier goals in December as some of them we are on way to smashing already! Will jot them down tonight I think- not all of them are frugal as it's the ladies 40th next year and we'd like to do something special together to mark the occasion :)

It's beautiful and frosty outside again today which is lovely when you're indoors but not so nice when you have to de ice your car (or even worse for those without warm homes!), hi ho hi hi it's off to work I go.....
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,922 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Found your diary. Love the enthusiasm and joy. Have subscribed :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback