PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Where to buy cheap fabric for sewing / fabric remnants?

Comments

• suegoo
    suegoo Posts: 114 Forumite
    Last time I was in Northampton the Saturday market had two stalls selling fabric, not sure how cheap it is though.
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,078 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I've seen quite a good stall on Newark market. It's in Nottinghamshire. I know the market is on Weds, Fri & Sat and although I can't remember if the fabric man is there on the Weds or Fri, I know it's not Saturday.
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    It seems finding cheap fabric on a market is becoming a thing of the past.

Do any of you OS people know of any market stalls selling dressmaking fabric in the Midlands?:confused:

I know about the Rag market in Birmingham, the odd stall in Derby Market and the man who sells end of bolt fabric pieces in Milton Keynes Market.

Is there anywhere I've missed that's worth putting on my list?

I use anything from 50p a metre fabrics to test patterns and I'm just finding it more and more difficult to find market stalls selling any fabric at all.

I'd like to make some quick dresses with no lining, to get my wardrobe up to scratch and run up some funky dresses for my neice.

I'd love to hear you comments on where you go to buy fabric.

Happy Sewing

Not sure how far you are from Hanley near Stoke. There's an Abakhan Fabrics there: http://www.abakhan.co.uk/acatalog/Hanley.html

I don't know if this is similar to the one we have in Liverpool - we have a fabulous remnants section - not remnants as in 0.5metre - I mean remnants as in 2/3/4metres length sometimes (though they will cut something like that to what you want to use - as long as it leaves them with a 'saleable length').
  • I haven't tried Newark and didn't know Abakhan's had a shop in Stoke.

Thank you. I will try and visit both the next time I'm in that area.
  • jamanda
    jamanda Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    There are lots of fabric stalls in Nottingham Victoria Centre market, but haven't checked any prices. Looks nice from a distance though.
  • Theres Barry's Fabrics in Birmingham, down Digbeth, not all super cheap but it is good value and has some good clearance ( tables full!)
    If only closed minds came with closed mouths!

wins so far... online bbq recipe booklet, VIP tix for Sonisphere 2010 (eep still can't believe that one!)
  • laurel7172
    laurel7172 Posts: 2,071 Forumite
    Peterborough market has a couple of fabric stalls (near the entrance opposite Wilkinsons). They're cheap compared to John Lewis(!)
    import this
  • If in Birmingham, have you tried the Asian shops, try Soho Road there are tonnes of fabric shops and you can usually haggle with the shop keepers. If you cant quite find the fabric you want they can suggest some local places to go.

Also I recall Beatties (is it still around? ) use to do fabric and had a clearance section.

PP
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,078 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    The best choice of fabric I've ever seen is when my sister took me to Southall in London where there is a big Asian community. The fabric shops were fab.....I got my wedding dress material for such a good price and there was so much to choose from. It made me wish I was better at sewing! There was a wonderful selection of raw silks, satins, sari fabrics and just about everything.
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • I think the reason there's less choice in markets now is because the Asian stores have provided stiff competition.

I used to get dragged round the Rag Market in Birmingham as a kid, by my mum & aunt, but if it were today, I'd guess it would be the Asian stores! :)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure