How to disconnect Gas Cooker

Options
2»

Comments

• Razor
    Razor Posts: 286 Forumite
    Options
    Actually, there's an exception in the gas regs that specifically allows people to remove cooker hoses from bayonet fittings,I suspect you have had no posts by other engineers, (apologies if there have been), because they know that it is not uncommon for these fittings to weep gas, so on the one hand they don't want to encourage you to DIY them but also do not wish to be accused of profiteering.

The choice is yours!
    Mine needed a new fan so that must be whats wrong with yours:D
  • timmyevo
    Options
    i'm a corgi engineer. you can remove the fitting, its not rocket surgery! all you should do though is check for gas weeping, to do this, mix washing up liquid with water to make a soupy solution, wipe this solution over the fitting to check for leaks.
  • MissG_2
    MissG_2 Posts: 869 Forumite
    Options
    timmyevo wrote: »
    i'm a corgi engineer. you can remove the fitting, its not rocket surgery! all you should do though is check for gas weeping, to do this, mix washing up liquid with water to make a soupy solution, wipe this solution over the fitting to check for leaks.

:confused: Isn't washing up liquid a corrosive to copper???
    The best things in life are for FREE!!!
    If you like what you see and find this info useful, please use the thanks button. It costs nothing and means so much.
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    timmyevo wrote: »

Hi

You forgot the bit about washing the soapy solution off with water or using the leak detecting fluid they charge you loadsa money for.
    MissG is correct.

Corgi Guy.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • Razor
    Razor Posts: 286 Forumite
    Options
    That is true, the chlorine content is corrosive to metals, (the actual fitting will be brass in this case). Most of the DIY places sell Leak Detection Fluid for gas in the plumbing section. Mind you they also sell flueless gas fires, don't get me started on that!!
    Mine needed a new fan so that must be whats wrong with yours:D
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As we are in the process of moving house, my wife has been mugged almost £100 for disconnecting a gas cooker we don't even want (but nor do the people buying our house) - way more than it's going to fetch on eBay. D'oh!

The removal men wouldn't do it cos of liability blah blah blah.

I could have disconnected it myself in three seconds but she is too dim to do it and I'm a few hundred miles away. Grrrr!
  • edward_t_bear
    Options
    Hi. I disconnected the cooker just like that but could smell gas so did the soapy water test and found the bayonet was leaking. Had to reconnect the old cooker. New cooker is electric but now can't use it. What do I do next? Do I need to call in a gas engineer?
  • gasbag1602
    Options
    Yes you need to call a gas safe registered engineer who will carry out a test for tightness, cap off or plug the pipe then carry out another test for tightness(make sure you have no gas leak) Then he will carry out a purge and relight confirming all other gas appliances are visually safe,
    Job done:beer:
    Guys unless you can carry out that proceedure please dont "do it yourself"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family