Struggling with debt? Ask a debt advisor a question

Comments

• mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    ambertomtom, - please don't feel silly it happens to most of us one way or another, your not the 1st and def not the last.

Your council tax - are you paying it over 10 mths, if so ring them, and explain your financial situ and see if they will take Mar and Apr as payments for the rest of this yr.

Before the credit cards your council tax is a priority, - sorry if it sounds like I'm prying but is this just a temoprary blitch, or a more long term prob. If its a temp blitch, then ring around and explain the situ, if long term I would look at doing a budget planner - the debt rememdy- from step change and see what it suggests from there.

Please don't worry, xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • StepChange_James
    StepChange_James Posts: 861 Organisation Representative
    Hi there I have been kinda hiding from my debts but now want to get on top of them all, I have just finished off paying a tesco loan this week, i have got a loan with my bank which i have had no problems with the monthly payments. However my problem comes with one of my 2 credit cards and my council tax (i am 2 months behind), i was just wondering if they tend to be okay with payment plans as i have no way of paying these off in one go. Feel really stupid and embarrased for letting this happen as i always said i would never do anything this silly

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi ambertomtom,

Thanks for posting. Mum2one raises a good point, the best way to sort things out will depend on your situation.

If you've enough money available to cover all your outgoings and have some money spare to catch up with missed payments then a few phone calls should be all you need to set up arrangements.

If you're offering a reasonable amount extra on top of your normal payment to catch up then you shouldn't have too much bother. The council have more power than a credit card or unsecured loan company, so getting that one sorted out is the priority.

As mum2one mentioned, you can always ask to add the arrears onto the end of the council tax year if you pay over 10 months, but it's up to the council whether they accept that offer.

If you're struggling to cover your bills and don't have enough coming in to pay everything then it would be best to get some advice, we can help you with this. We'll help you plan an income and expenditure budget and talk you through your options on how to sort things out.

You can do this online, using our Debt Remedy tool (http://www.stepchange.org/msehelp) or by giving us a call (http://www.stepchange.org/Contactus.aspx).

Kind regards.

James
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy

If money worries are keeping you awake, read Paul's success story at Need to Sleep

• Hi, I am new to this forum but if anyone can offer any advice or help it would be gratefully received!

I have received letters from SRJ Debt recoveries and after 5 years they are asking me to pay the 2 orange bills of £265. I don't know how do I trust them. Orange company has told me that they cannot provide me any information.

Who do I approach to get accurate information? how do I trust on the information provided? I have always paid my bills regularly by direct debit. I am still an orange customer. I don't know where these has come from? what happens if I don't pay?

Is there any way I can get away with this matter. please advise me.

Many thanks,

Nimesh
  • StepChange_James
    nimesh142 wrote: »
    Hi, I am new to this forum but if anyone can offer any advice or help it would be gratefully received!

I have received letters from SRJ Debt recoveries and after 5 years they are asking me to pay the 2 orange bills of £265. I don't know how do I trust them. Orange company has told me that they cannot provide me any information.

Who do I approach to get accurate information? how do I trust on the information provided? I have always paid my bills regularly by direct debit. I am still an orange customer. I don't know where these has come from? what happens if I don't pay?

Is there any way I can get away with this matter. please advise me.

Many thanks,

Nimesh

Hi Nimesh,

I think the template letter in this thread might be useful: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247. You may need to adapt the wording slightly to fit your circumstances but it will ask them to provide you with proof that you owe this money.

From what you've said it sounds like they must have made some sort of mistake. They may just go away once you write to them or they might have some sort of proof that you do owe the money (though this is unlikely given that you've not missed any payments).

All the best.

James
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy

If money worries are keeping you awake, read Paul's success story at Need to Sleep

• shinner
    shinner Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi in 22000 pound off unsecured debt a joint homeowner 3 barclaycards 1 virgin and a o/d with barclays step change said a dmp although i was wanting to do a iva as dmp will last 4yrs 11 months as long as interest stopped. Looking on this site barclaycard dont tend to stop interest. can i do iva instead.
    sealed pot challenge 099
    2013 £365 in total
    2014 ???? Target £400
    debt 1 [STRIKE]6753[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]6386[/STRIKE] 0000 debt 2 [STRIKE]4973[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]4731[/STRIKE] 0000 debt 3 [STRIKE]3673[/STRIKE] 0000 debt 4 [STRIKE]2400[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]2239[/STRIKE] 0000
    OH debt [STRIKE]3800[/STRIKE]2780
    Bank of Mum [STRIKE]£2750[/STRIKE] 2000
  • Thanks James,

I spoke to SRJ recovery and they said they have evidences of paperwork, I have requested paperwork from them any way, But I am concerned what happens If somebody has done some fraud on my account or identity theft or something.

Also when it comes after Five years,How can I prove that I have paid all bills.... why did not they contacted me earlier??

I will update once I will get letter from them.

Thanks again
  • Hi, is the above still working?

I have sent a couple of PM's but they aren't appearing in my sent items.

Can anyone help?
    Thanks,

:-)
  • StepChange_James
    shinner wrote: »
    Hi in 22000 pound off unsecured debt a joint homeowner 3 barclaycards 1 virgin and a o/d with barclays step change said a dmp although i was wanting to do a iva as dmp will last 4yrs 11 months as long as interest stopped. Looking on this site barclaycard dont tend to stop interest. can i do iva instead.

Hi Shinner,

It's hard to say without knowing more about your circumstances. I'd recommend giving us a call and talking to an advisor (http://www.stepchange.org/Contactus.aspx), so they can take all your details into account.

We have a blogpost about the differences between an IVA and DMP which you might find useful: http://moneyaware.co.uk/2011/07/12-differences-between-an-iva-and-a-dmp/.

Hope this helps.

James

• StepChange_James
    nimesh142 wrote: »
    Thanks James,

I spoke to SRJ recovery and they said they have evidences of paperwork, I have requested paperwork from them any way, But I am concerned what happens If somebody has done some fraud on my account or identity theft or something.

Also when it comes after Five years,How can I prove that I have paid all bills.... why did not they contacted me earlier??

I will update once I will get letter from them.

Thanks again

Hi Nimesh,

Five years is a long time to leave a debt before chasing it up, it seems very strange. Your bank should still have statements going back that far, so it should be fairly easy (though time consuming) to get copies of statements that show you making payments.

I wouldn't start requesting statements until they can provide you with something that proves payments were missed though.

Good luck.

James

• StepChange_James
    JaneBezza wrote: »
    Hi, is the above still working?

I have sent a couple of PM's but they aren't appearing in my sent items.

Can anyone help?
    Thanks,

:-)

Hi Jane,

They both came through at our end. I've sent you a response that should be waiting in your inbox now.

Kind regards

James

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure