Everest Windows qoute Ha! Ha!

Rang them up to say come and quote me for a 3X4 conservatory, 6 new windows and gutter furniture. Call centre said rep will be with you Saturday am - Rep rang me to change date - don't work Saturdays - new appointment arranged - rep arrives - only deals with Conservatories - would have to get somebody else to come re windows etc -(not what call centre said) - anyway bodg standard 3X4 Con - measured up - no comments re planning regs or building regs - gave a quote £27,330 after discount - told them to not bother sending window person - had two local regional companies come both quoted around £16000 for everything - re Everest - words like Pole, Barge, 10foot, touch and would'nt come to mind

Comments

• SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I spent a couple of years as a rep for Everest and yes Ok they are expensive but i still believe they're out there with the best. We were told to compare them with some local companies was like comparing a Ford Ka with a Bmw. The people who buy a Bmw know they can go to their local Ford garage for a car that will still start in the morning and get them to work, but for some reason they're willing to pay more.
    Incidentally when i got DG for this house i knew i couldn't afford Everest and bought local, but i think if i could have afforded it i would have got Everest.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • I spent a couple of years as a rep for Everest (so in no way biased then?) and yes Ok they are expensive but i still believe they're out there with the best. We were told to compare them with some local companies was like comparing a Ford Ka with a Bmw (who told you that, the Everest management no doubt and would you expect them to say otherwise?)

At £27K+ for a 3X4 conservatory they are taking the pi55 however good they are.
    I had a conservatory fitted last year, 4X4, very good quality, 3 sides glass with 6 large and 6 small opening windows and the roof is Pilkington self cleaning tinted glass. There are 6 power points, tiled floor with underfloor heating and a very good quality ceiling light/fan.
    This was done by a local company who have an excellent reputation and extremely good reviews on both checkatrade and trustatrader.

The total price (including the plans and applying for planning permission) was £21,500
  • SailorSam
    Combo Breaker First Post
    When i worked for Everest was over 30yrs ago so i've nothing to gain from saying how good they are but it's just one of those things that people complain about but still as i said buy expensive cars or will willingly part with £100 for a pair of jeans when you could buy jeans in Tesco for £4. Then there's the shopper who buys Kelloggs cornflakes for £2 when the Asda one costing £1 come from the same factory.
    All firms charge what they think they'll get away with not just DG companies.

• darkpool
    darkpool Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    SailorSam wrote: »
    When i worked for Everest was over 30yrs ago so i've nothing to gain from saying how good they are but it's just one of those things that people complain about but still as i said buy expensive cars or will willingly part with £100 for a pair of jeans when you could buy jeans in Tesco for £4. Then there's the shopper who buys Kelloggs cornflakes for £2 when the Asda one costing £1 come from the same factory.
    All firms charge what they think they'll get away with not just DG companies.

i think it's the game that everest play with the "start with outrageous quote then drop it for silly reasons" that annoys people.

I mean, who seriously believes the "i'll phone up the manager and see what I can do" routine. the salesman is just phoning up the speaking clock.

a lot of current and ex everest salesman seem to come on this forum saying how everest sell a quality product. I always thought they bought their stuff in from a factory that sold windows to every other tom, !!!!!! and harry?
  • but i still believe they're out there with the best.

But have you had any experience of their work or work practices in the 30 years since you left the company?

From page 1 of a Google search for 'Everest window reviews"

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=312111

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Reviews/Everest_Windows__5332817

http://grapevine4you.blogspot.com/

http://www.upvcwindowsreview.info/reviews.html
    We were told to compare them with some local companies was like comparing a Ford Ka with a Bmw

So Everest knew about the Ford Ka 30 years ago did they?
  • SailorSam
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I was a rubbish salesman, i hated it. Very true that about the discounts that, i've just been out to Tesco and they're doing almost the same, big signs all over the store.
    I just think the Op particularly as a newie is out of order slagging off any one company, it sounds almost as if he's saying "Hello sir, i'm from Morleyboy windows, i'll do you a better deal than them"

• So are you saying that new members shouldn't have the right to complain about any poor company?

This is a praise vent & warning board, and this seems to be exactly what they did with their post. Vented about the price and warned others what they may encounter with this company.
    Very true that about the discounts that, i've just been out to Tesco and they're doing almost the same
    It's not the same at all. The price shown on the item or shelf is the price that you pay at the till.
    When you get to the checkout the assistant doesn't phone their manager to see if they can get you a better deal if you buy the item quickly.
  • SailorSam
    Combo Breaker First Post
    No i'm not saying a new member hasn't the right to point out a company that is giving bad service but i wonder why the Op felt the need to tell us how much he'd been quoted when he no doubt buys other stuff which he knows he's getting overcharged on.
    As i said i've just got home from Tesco and noticed at the end of row they had mobile phones for less than a tenner, but if i'd gone upstairs to the phone department there may have been people paying £200 for the same thing. Obviously they think those phones are worth the difference.
    Exactly the same as a Ford and Bmw.
    Exactly the same as Everest and Joe Blogs windows
    You pays your money, you makes your choice.
    But don't then say the thousands if not millions of customers who chose Everest are being ripped off. They've been going a long long time now so they must be doing something right. The local firm coming in to price cut in any industry may have disappeared a few years down the line.
    I'd like to point out again for my own Dg i bought local, but i wouldn't slag off someone.

• I give everest their dues, the quality is very good.

I had a conservatory built in 2006, a large 9m x 5.5m with double doors gable etc. and everest quoted £55K for it. Anglian quoted similar but I had to make my own arrangements and pay a builder to do the base, electrics and heated tile floor.

I ended up going with a builder, a father & son outfit - £33K all in. The work was flawless! and on time.

Everest has a lot of marketing costs to pay for, TV advertising campaigns, salesmen, cars and showrooms, and wanted far too much money up front, then tried selling me finance packages with astronomical interest rates.
  • we had work done by everest....although more expensive than other quotes we had been assured the quality of the doors/windows and installation service was far superior and justified the price difference...

it was a big mistake! it took over a year and we had to take them to court to get work completed and the remedial work carried out.

i would never recommend or suggest that anyone uses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure