PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick Questions on ANYTHING Old Style 3 (See first post for links to other threads)

Comments

• elly2
    elly2 Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi i usually make soup from un-smoked gammon stock but dad got a bargain piece of smoked gammon yesterday, i have slow cooked it and am wondering if i can make soup with the stock or will it be yuck ?? I usually use split peas, carrots,pots and turnip.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    elly2 wrote: »
    Hi i usually make soup from un-smoked gammon stock but dad got a bargain piece of smoked gammon yesterday, i have slow cooked it and am wondering if i can make soup with the stock or will it be yuck ?? I usually use split peas, carrots,pots and turnip.

It should be fine :)

Oh.... and next time... try Pease pudding in slow cooker? BUT... instead of putting loads of peas and things into it - use half or even a third. That way you get your soup cooked in the gammon (or bacon or ham) stock all in one go. Dead yummy, honest :)

See also: Pease Pudding
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Hi, I'm thinking about making sweet potato chips for tonights dinner - do I do exactly the same as with normal potato's? Peel, cut, par-boil then oven bake? I usually do steak chips type size - is this ok?
    Thanks
    C xx
  • Diflower
    Diflower Posts: 601 Forumite
    I think so, although sweet potatoes always seem a bit more watery when mashed, so probably less par-boiling, or even none?
    Hopefully someone will come along who's done them before.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    OK, quick question for you about yorkshire puddings:

If I make a batch, can I freeze them? Previously, I have bought frozen ones from the English shop, kept them in the freezer, and then they have lasted ages. But, to cut costs and just because homemade ones taste better, I want to make my own more often.

So, I am assuming that they can be frozen, but just wanted to confirm before I make a lot in one go! lol

Thank you :)
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    euronorris wrote: »
    OK, quick question for you about yorkshire puddings:

I've never tried, but if you can buy frozen ones I don't see why not. I should imagine you just open freeze them, then when you want to reheat them just do the same as you would for bought ones.

I suppose this is just one of those trial and error things really. Maybe next time you make some just make a couple of extra ones to try them out. It would be interesting to know how they come out if you do try.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    I have frozen them and then just crisped them up in the oven. No problem. Then again, I'm not from England,so what may be acceptable to me, may not be to someone who really knows their yorkshire puddings! All I know is.... they tasted yum!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I was halfway through kneading my bread today when I realised that I'd gotten distracted and forgotten to put in the salt and oil. I'd read somewhere that you can add things as long as you knead them in properly so I added it in and kneaded until it felt "right". Its on its first rise now. Does anyone know if this will work? Normally I would just wait and see, but I'm making an extra loaf to take to a dinner party tonight and I don't want anyone slicing into something less than appealing.:o
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was halfway through kneading my bread today when I realised that I'd gotten distracted and forgotten to put in the salt and oil. I'd read somewhere that you can add things as long as you knead them in properly so I added it in and kneaded until it felt "right". Its on its first rise now. Does anyone know if this will work? Normally I would just wait and see, but I'm making an extra loaf to take to a dinner party tonight and I don't want anyone slicing into something less than appealing.:o

It will probably be fine. I've forgotten the yeast before now :rotfl: but added it afterwards and kneaded it really well and it worked.
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks..And thanks for telling me about the yeast. I feel a little less silly now:) I'll be sure to have a small slice of our own loaf right after it is baked just to test it out. With butter, of course otherwise I won't be absolutely certain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure