Navmii Free Sat Nav App for iphone/ipad

Comments

• Both NavFree and Skobbler use the OpenStreetMap mapping system (http://www.openstreetmap.org/) which I quote:
    OpenStreetMap is a free editable map of the whole world. It is made by people like you.

OpenStreetMap allows you to view, edit and use geographical data in a collaborative way from anywhere on Earth

The whole point is that YOU can improve the maps and everyone will benefit.

So if you find an error, please learn how to use OpenStreetMap and correct it. If you don't feel technically savvy enough then at least use the reporting tool in the apps to report the error so that someone else can correct the map.

But please don't complain - what do you want for FREE?

I've used both, but prefer Skobbler, and sometimes it does direct you some strange ways - when I check the maps it is often something that just needs correcting on the map, not a problem with the application itself.

Use and enjoy. :)
  • My 4 year old tomtom go packed up half way to Manchester recently, it wouldn't hold any charge and the battery was flat.

All I had was the maps on my iPhone. I never keep a map in the car (I would need an A-Z of Manchester and every other town in the country!).

Fortunately I had a colleague with me who could just about follow the iPhone map allbeit with difficulty as it didn't update quickly enough.

So I'm downloading this free app, in case my new tomtom goes faulty. I do 30,000 business miles a year so I can't manage without reliable satnav!

I will test it out and update the database if I find errors. These things are only as good as their contributors

I don't think you can expect the same quality from a freebie as something you would pay £100's for, but if it gets me where I'm going evetually, that's got to be better than being lost in the middle of nowhere. (which did happen to me and was terrifying- hence the original tomtom purchase)
  • Will this suck data like nobodys business? I downloaded this a while ago but worry that no free data on the iPhone is no more I will end up using my allowance very quickly??
    If my words are missing letters then please excuse me....my keyboard is a tad dodgy!!
  • pedro43
    pedro43 Posts: 15 Forumite
    it doesn't know the best or quickest routes, spent 40 minutes with someone else driving following this satnav compared to the route i was telling the driver to take, my router 20 minutes, satnav 40.

use with caution.
    plan your route in advance.
  • theitguy wrote: »
    I suppose you should ask for much when it's free but this app doesn't even show my town in any detail at all. No roads at all for my town.

The GPS location just shows me as being in the middle of nowhere.

Do you live in the sea?
  • Thanks for this - but I already have Skobbler and if they both use the same source for maps, I don't think they will be any different.

Can someone explain why Skobbler uses a fraction of the memory (~ 4MB) on the iPhone as compared to this (~ 295 MB) if they are both sourced from the same data?
  • biggad
    biggad Posts: 214 Forumite
    Guanajuato wrote: »
    Just thought I'd add, for the benefit of people using Android phones, WAZE is free and pretty good. It uses OpenStreetMap as well.
    isn't google navigation better and also free?
  • Hi,

I've used this app for a couple of weeks now, and although it's good for the price, it's not fool proof, which is a shame for a satnav, which you'd only use in areas where you've no idea anyway.

It once even tried to direct me to drive across the Thames !

On the plus side, it does download all the data to the phone, so you can used it even when out of 3g signal area, but it's data is out of date. There's several places where it's wrong, but the underlying openstreetmap data has already been corrected.

It's speed limits are also wrong. It seems to use the same figure for calculating the time it takes to get somewhere, as the speed limit for the "driving too fast" warning.

I'm guessing they will ultimately try to add some paid for content like live trafic updates etc ontop of the free data. It's a good effort, but only really useful at a pinch, and be careful of rivers :rotfl:
  • davester
    davester Posts: 4,079 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Noone has mentioned the danger of sticking your ipad on your winscreen to use as a satnav, It would probably be illegal to do due to the loss of vision
    Survey earnings total 2009 £417, 2010 £875, 2011 £574
  • it's ok only thing I found is that it always starts off in the middle of London somewhere near earls court !
    Also I have never been able to get the gps on it working
    So in summary it looks pretty but I have never had it working !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure