Whats the cheapest way to feed my cat?

Options

Comments

• Petal_3
    Petal_3 Posts: 779 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

I reckon I spend about £1.20 - £1.50 per day on feeding my 4. I get my raw from www.food4cats.co.uk. The minced meat they sell is pre-mixed so already contains ground bone etc (I believe the necessary mix is 80% muscle, 10% organ + 10% bone). Mine only like the beef and rabbit minces (won't touch the chicken) and they love the diced Ox heart and Sow Tongue. Their delivery charge is £6 so I order a month's worth at a time. Their customer service is very good too....I was running low before Christmas and had missed their pre Christmas deadline by a day - I called them and they managed to fill my order and were very helpful. Also, they do a £10 sample pack (all in, incl delivery) which has loads in it. They will then reimburse the £10 on your first order. Can't say fairer than that! :T

I like them....can you tell! Mine went off raw for a bit so I mixed a little natures menu or hi life with it. Now they won't eat it with cat food in and insist on plain raw??

I take out one roll of mince in the morning and leave it in a cupboard or somewhere where they can't get at it and it is defrosted by the evening. If it's too cold I warm it to room temp in the microwave. I then take another one out in the evening to defrost overnight for the morning. It's quite nice that the only packaging you are left with is the plastic tube.

In fact, one roll of mince is a bit too much for my 4 (although they do eat it all most of the time) - I think we could do with another cat to save us from throwing a little away ! :)

~x~
    Owned by [STRIKE]4[/STRIKE] 4 cats: 2 x Maine coon cross males, 1 x Pixie Bob male and[STRIKE] 2[/STRIKE] 1 x Norwegian Forest male....cute!

R.I.P Darling Jackson 11/7/09 - 15/1/10 :(
    Miss u sweetie... :heart:
  • Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    Options
    What is B&M please? The manufactured food was Joe Inglis's :eek:by the way - much better than `ordinary' wet cat food! Anyways I have learned my lesson now & am working my way up to clearing a shelf in my freezer to store raw meat in the future - other than that it will be dried mostly Burns & when there are special offers on Royal Canine or James Wellbeloved.

I'm not sure what it is it's a shop that opened recently in my town :o
    http://www.bmstores.co.uk/

Raw food is brilliant though it's hard to find the right balance. If you don't research it properly you may end up killing the cat because they're not getting what they need (not aimed at you btw just a general observation).

I stay away from RC an JWB. The only other food I was consider feeding would be bozita (it's a Swedish food, 93% fresh meat) or Arden Grange.
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is B&M please? The manufactured food was Joe Inglis's :eek:by the way - much better than `ordinary' wet cat food! Anyways I have learned my lesson now & am working my way up to clearing a shelf in my freezer to store raw meat in the future - other than that it will be dried mostly Burns & when there are special offers on Royal Canine or James Wellbeloved.

JWB isn't that great only 26% meat, and Noah stank the place out on that plus Felix. Anyway it's a MARS brand! My B&M only stock the tuna Feline Fayre, which you can get cheaper in large 400g cans in Asda at 50p. Poops not great on it, but good for a treat as it's 70% fish.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • rita-rabbit
    rita-rabbit Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Throwing away food - this is a moneysaving site
  • Fire_Fox
    Options
    Sequeena wrote: »
    Raw food is brilliant though it's hard to find the right balance. If you don't research it properly you may end up killing the cat because they're not getting what they need (not aimed at you btw just a general observation).

I stay away from RC an JWB. The only other food I was consider feeding would be bozita (it's a Swedish food, 93% fresh meat) or Arden Grange.

This is very true - that's why I buy in the raw mixes from Food4Cats and cover myself still further with Orijen and Applaws kibble. I need to have another bash at Bozita, the price is excellent for such good ingredients: Noah preferred the jelly to the meat in the tetrapacks so might try the pate-style Bozita next. :confused:
  • Apricot
    Apricot Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    This is very true - that's why I buy in the raw mixes from Food4Cats and cover myself still further with Orijen and Applaws kibble. I need to have another bash at Bozita, the price is excellent for such good ingredients: Noah preferred the jelly to the meat in the tetrapacks so might try the pate-style Bozita next. :confused:

My two loved the pate flavoured Bozita and it really is excellent value!

http://www.trophypetfoods.co.uk/index.htm - this site is sending out free samples at the moment, not sure what its like as I haven't received mine yet but they're all worth a try!

Also, Asda has got their pet event at the moment & multipacks of 8 Feline Fayre (mixed varieties) are £1!!! Bargain & not a great loss if puss doesn't like them.:rolleyes:
    :happylove DD July 2011:happylove

Aug 13 [STRIKE]£4235.19[/STRIKE]:eek: £2550.00 :cool:
  • BudgetBlonde
    Options
    Personally I fee my kitten whiskas kitten pouches. I didn't want to but this is what he had been used to and the vet said if that's what he was eating that's what he was eating. I have gradually been phasing this out though - i don't particularly like to feed this brand. He has this mixed with Hills Kitten (Growth). Bear in mind he still has kitten teeth so any kibble needs to be small.
    My older cat (8 months) is on Hill's for neutered cats.
    Nutritional needs are slightly different for neutered cats as they tend to put weight on.
    Also, remember that if you feed JUST wet food you should take extra care of your cat's teeth. Dry food is better for cleaning but if you feed bone or use some other eeth cleaning chewy thing that should be fine.
    When Mitten eats Mr Muggles' kitten food what comes out is like a huge stinky cow pat. I think she has a slightly sensitive tummy.
    Bellymonkey due 25/09/10 :j
  • Claire_Bear
    Claire_Bear Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Options
    I work in B&M, it's a bargain store which sells a bit of everything, a bit like Home Bargains if you have one of those? We also have pouches of Smokies (maybe???) food for 25p, they're something like 40% fish I think. I made a special trip to Asda for their offer on Whiskas pouches, if I'd known the FF pouches were on such a good offer I would have picked a box up for Pepsi to try because they have a higher meat content.
    D'you know, in 900 years of space and time, I've never met anyone who wasn't important
    The Doctor
    Taste The Rainbow :heartsmil
  • Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »

I've always wanted to try Applaws but don't want to mess with Cotton's diet too much as she loves the food she is on. We did get her a little pack of the purely range from P@H the other day and she loved it. It's around 85p a go though so it will only be an occasional treat.

http://www.trophypetfoods.co.uk/index.htm - this site is sending out free samples at the moment, not sure what its like as I haven't received mine yet but they're all worth a try!

Also, Asda has got their pet event at the moment & multipacks of 8 Feline Fayre (mixed varieties) are £1!!! Bargain & not a great loss if puss doesn't like them.:rolleyes:

Brilliant! Thank you I will be going to ASDAs soon so will pick up some! :) I think the same multipacks are sold in B&M but are a bit more expensive.
    I work in B&M, it's a bargain store which sells a bit of everything, a bit like Home Bargains if you have one of those? We also have pouches of Smokies (maybe???) food for 25p, they're something like 40% fish I think. I made a special trip to Asda for their offer on Whiskas pouches, if I'd known the FF pouches were on such a good offer I would have picked a box up for Pepsi to try because they have a higher meat content.

From what I remember the smokies cat trays are only 4% meat and animal derivatives. I was in there the other week and noticed they were carrying it and put it back simply because of the low quality meat. Will have to double check though, I can't find the brand online :confused:
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
  • Fire_Fox
    Options

I mixed the free Trophy in with some Orijen, and Noah picked out the Orijen! Thanks for the heads-up on Feline Fayre, I missed that on MySupermarket. :T
    Sequeena wrote: »
    I've always wanted to try Applaws but don't want to mess with Cotton's diet too much as she loves the food she is on. We did get her a little pack of the purely range from P@H the other day and she loved it. It's around 85p a go though so it will only be an occasional treat.

Do you mean the Purely wet? They do small tins, pouches and trays, the small tins are by far the best value at £2.80 per kilo. The small tins do only come in fish flavours so the Feline Fayre is better value whilst on the £1 offer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport