PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stretching leather shoes?

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Some of the tips on this older thread might help:

Stretching leather shoes?

Pink
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    A couple of years ago I invested in a shoe stretcher. I think it was about £20. Ok maybe it's not worth it for just one pair of shoes, but in my case it is essential as I have slightly wider feet than normal and shoes that fit the length are invariably tight and painful. So I put the stretcher in a shoe at a time (24-48 hours each). Leather shoes get better results if slightly wet. Works with trainers too.

Never again painful toes or side of feet.
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • WLITC
    WLITC Posts: 1,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Quasar wrote:
    A couple of years ago I invested in a shoe stretcher. I think it was about £20
    I've seen these, but as you say, about £20, which for me would be a waste as I don't normally have issues with shoes/trainers, I think I just got trainers that were a little too snug on this ocassion. Anyway, I'm trying the potato suggestion above. I'll leave them in for a few days and see if it makes any difference.
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    I mistakenly bought a pair of M&S Footglove flatties half a size too small a while back, and they give me blisters. I'm wearing them round the house in thick fluffy socks to try and stretch them a bit but is there anything else I can do?
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • RoCas
    RoCas Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    There are some really weird ideas here ...

http://www.ehow.com/tips_18014.html

Let me know if any of them work ?!?
  • ladygrey_2
    ladygrey_2 Posts: 374 Forumite
    isn't stuffing with wet newspaper supposed to do it?
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Try this(I've not tried it myself but it should work)

Fill some strong plastic bags with water and seal securely.Place inside the shoes,place shoes in the freezer.As the water freezes it will expand and so stretch the shoes. ;)
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thriftladies idea sounds interesting. I tried stretching a pair of hush puppies loafers for a whole winter using newspaper. It didn't work and eventually I handed them into the charity shop. Although as I originally bought them from there for a pound it wasn't a huge loss.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £80/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £103/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How can I stretch new shoes?

They are fabric on the outside and I think they are plastic on the inside (doesn't smell like leather) so is there anyway I can stretch them?

They fit ok but are just a bit tight across the front (they are high heeled 'stiletto' type shoes)

Thanks in advance :)
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Put a polybag filled with water into the front bit and put them in the freezer. The water will expand and stretch the shoes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure