University fees.

Options
12346»

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did not say it was incorrect, just that it is slovenly. I would expect better when attempting to correct someone else.

If I had made an error then I could accept your criticism, but as my use of language was well within the norms I'm just going to ignore you.
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2017 at 9:54PM
    Options
    I did not say it was incorrect, just that it is slovenly. I would expect better when attempting to correct someone else.

Sadly for you, we do not have to live up to your expectations :)

Talking of slovenly, do any of the following qualify as a contraction?

wouldn't,
    haven't,
    hasn't,
    doesn't,
    don't,
    didn't,
    that's

I mean, admittedly you don't use MANY contractions but there are some examples :)

I hate people who are incongruent! If you have such a negative perception of contraction use on a PUBLIC FORUM then at the very least practice what you preach :)
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bogalot wrote: »
    Student Finance England is a non profit organisation, it comes under the Department for Education. They are there to administer student finance, not to make money.

SFE is financed by the state, so your so called hobby courses are already paid for by the tax payer. Sorry to disappoint!

Are you sure I thought it had got sold off?
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    As some who attended a physical uni and the Open Uni, while grade boundaries are higher with the Open uni, content of lectures and exams in my experience were far easier.
    I also studied at a 'brick' uni and I had the opposite experience. The English Lit exam I sat at the brick uni and the English Lit exam I sat with the OU were poles apart. For example; at the brick uni we were allowed annotated copies of the books in the exam with us; we weren't at the OU. My exam with the OU lasted four hours (I had extra time due to my disabilities) but without it would have been three hours; the exam at the brick uni lasted 1 and a half. I guess it depends on course as my experience with the OU has been far more positive than the experience I had at brick uni. I'm (hopefully, if I get in!) going to a brick uni for my Masters though so no doubt I will be able to compare.
    As for my niece I have no idea what possessed her. She's my estranged brother's daughter and she doesn't even speak to him- she messaged me on Facebook to tell me her exam results and which course she was doing and where so I could tell my mum.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    My first degree was taken with the OU....I took my BSc in Maths with them....most modules were assessed by a combination of Continual Assessment (the assignments that we sent off every few weeks) and a 3 hour exam (longer in my case as I had extra time and a break due to disability.)...and for the Mechanics module there was also a practical project.

Later, I went to do further study at a University and the lecturer in week one asked a question which I answered...he looked at me and asked 'Open University?' ...he said he could always tell a student who had taken their degree with the OU because they were the ones with the strongest foundation in Maths.
  • martinsurrey
    Options
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    I also studied at a 'brick' uni and I had the opposite experience. The English Lit exam I sat at the brick uni and the English Lit exam I sat with the OU were poles apart. For example; at the brick uni we were allowed annotated copies of the books in the exam with us; we weren't at the OU. My exam with the OU lasted four hours (I had extra time due to my disabilities) but without it would have been three hours; the exam at the brick uni lasted 1 and a half. I guess it depends on course as my experience with the OU has been far more positive than the experience I had at brick uni. I'm (hopefully, if I get in!) going to a brick uni for my Masters though so no doubt I will be able to compare.
    As for my niece I have no idea what possessed her. She's my estranged brother's daughter and she doesn't even speak to him- she messaged me on Facebook to tell me her exam results and which course she was doing and where so I could tell my mum.

the length of the exam, the grade boundaries, and material allowed into it are not at all relevant to the difficulty of the exam.

I could give you a 5 hour maths exam allowing nothing but a pencil, with a 99% requirement for a first, but if every question was 1+2 or similar standard, it would be an easy exam.

While an open book exam, for 30 mins, with a lot of abstract proofs with a 40% requirement for a 1st, could be a real pain!
  • ARandomMiser
    ARandomMiser Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    If I had made an error then I could accept your criticism, but as my use of language was well within the norms I'm just going to ignore you.
    Aw does diddums not like being on the receiving end of what it dishes out. :money:
    IITYYHTBMAD
  • SpammyTheSpammer
    Options
    Originally Posted by agrinnall viewpost.gif
    Aw does diddums not like being on the receiving end of what it dishes out.

It's not worth it....
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    Are you sure I thought it had got sold off?

Well, you said you did.:D
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 23 January 2017 at 10:25AM
    Options
    I suspect the simplest answer to the original question is that all (or most) institutions will charge the maximum because they can.... when they are over-subscribed. If any one tried to offer a cut-price version, most people would think there was something wrong and start talking about a "Primark" degree. On the other hand, if they were allowed to set the fees at what the market would stand (as I believe US colleges do) then Oxbridge would start at £25K per year; STEM subjects would be reflect the higher cost of delivery and media would be out of reach - not because of any quality judgement but because so many want a career in TV. (Back when I was a university administrator - there were four or five applicants for every place and then eight or nine graduates from just one course for every runner job advertised).

The New Labour target of 50% going into some form of HE/FE was a positive idea - badly handled because there were not (and still are not) alternatives for those who have different academic abilities and approaches.

I got lucky - I was right at the end of grants. I chose my degree on the basis of the content of that course (engineering and management) more than the actual uni - Bradford if anybody knows it. Had I been choosing on cost - well I might not have actually gone at all, I would have been looking for a job with my A levels where I could get professional qualifications along the way. Which would most likely have been Accounting...
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure