PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Need very very quick & easy recipes

I need some really easy and very quick meal ideas please. (Obviously must be cheap.)

So far I have:

Pasta with egg broken into it, and bits of chopped up fried bacon and onion
Pasta with herbs and tinned tuna
Spag bol obviously

I'm reverting back to various ready meals if I can't find stuff I can cook. Oh and it needs to be very minimal washing up too.

I'm ill at the moment (it's a chronic illness I've had forever but it's starting to look like this particular flare up could be long term) and serious fatigue is part of it. The whole thought of cooking is exhausting and standing up in the kitchen (or anywhere) for any period of time is painful.

I guess rice stuff is quite good because I can let it cook while I go sit down.

Im finding myself eating junk food because I'm craving the energy but I'm too exhausted to prepare anything. I'm skipping breakfast and taking stuff in to work because I can't face my stomach giving me grief on the way to work, I'd rather it did it when I'm at the office. I think I need to buy a ton of bananas for snack food.

Oh and dairy is, as per usual, not an option.

PS. At the weekend we had our own garlic bread, it was much cheaper than shop stuff and tasted so good our shop bought pizza tasted horrible next to it! lol When I'm better I want to make pizza next. :)
Pay off CC debt by Xmas 2017 #095 £0 of £11,416 :eek:

Comments

• catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    One of my favourite easy recipes is Chaos Pie from the pennypinchers book:

1 tin corned beef cut into large cubes
    1 tin baked beans
    1 tin new potatoes

Put into large pan and heat through, easy and fairly cheap too.

Another is packet of wholewheat spaghetti cooked and drained then tip in a jar of pesto and some tuna and heat through.

hth
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Any casserole (or soup) you like - prep all the veggies and things sitting down somewhere comfortable - then bung them in the dish and into the oven. Better still if you have a slow cooker.

Same goes for simple chillies and simple curries...

..and always make extra to freeze so that on really bad days you've got a home cooked ready meal, or several, easily available.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • jack92
    jack92 Posts: 244 Forumite
    Omelettes are really quick to prepare and cheap too - you can use whatever you have left in the fridge - ham, cheese, mushrooms, onions, peppers, bacon, etc. Also, cooking a small, whole chicken would last you a few days and you can use the leftover cooked meat to put with a ready-made sauce, or mix with pasta, etc.
    ..and always make extra to freeze

I want to second that.

Nicola
  • 8pnoodles
    8pnoodles Posts: 295 Forumite
    I freeze a bit now but I don't have much room (the joys of sharing a freezer with housemates!).

I like the omelette idea, I forgot I used to have them. I always associated them with cheese, I forgot about ham as a filling. Might do myself a bacon and onion omelette this week though cos I've got a ton of bacon sitting in the fridge. :)
    Pay off CC debt by Xmas 2017 #095 £0 of £11,416 :eek:
  • kbarty
    kbarty Posts: 634 Forumite
    I used to make baguette pizza's. Buy a baguette chop it in half and as long as you think you'll manage ;) stick some tinned toms on top and whatever else you fancy and then some grated cheese. Grill till the cheese has melted.

*edit* sorry didn't see the bit about no dairy!
    Debts - [STRIKE]£9925.64[/STRIKE] £8841.88 :T Aiming to get below £9k by the end of Oct. :D:D:D November aim - sub £7.5k! :cool:
    Just Say No November - Challenger 19 ~ Groceries £0/£160 ~ NSD's 1/25 ~ Money made £6/£80
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I know you have pasta already, but pasta and pesto is really quick and tasty - cook pasta, drain, add pesto, stir till heated through. You can add whatever you like to it - some bacon or sausage, veggies, whatever.

I sometimes make a cheats pizza, use a slice of bread or pitta or crumpet- whatever, and toast one side. Spread on the untoasted side tomato puree or tomato sauce, add some herbs, chopped onion, sweetcorn (can be added frozen) chopped peppers, sausage - whatever you fancy - and grill till cooked. My dad always has pizzas cheese-less so I can't see why this can't be!

If you need something really quick, instead of going for junk, why not have weetabix or cereal of that ilk? With soya or rice milk?

Sometimes when I am not feeling like a meal I will have something like fruit and custard - alpro do a really nice soya dessert that would suffice.

And then there is always beans on toast!
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If you want a 'proper' meal, then one of the easiest I know is 'Porky Potatoes'.

Put seasoned pork chops in the bottom of a casserole dish. Add sliced potatoes and chopped onins over the top. Add stock/gravy, bung in the oven for 1 1/2 hrs. You can reduce the cooking time by par boiling the spuds.

If you make lots of spuds and gravy, then leftovers are great heated up with a fried egg the next night.
  • MrsB_2
    MrsB_2 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Or if you want to be truly terrible in the nutrition dept but scrummy in the taste area there's my own personal favourites of...

Chip Butty (with oven chips)
    Fishfinger Sarnies (with fishfingers :D )
    Fishcake Sarnies (go on guess what with ;) )

You can whack any of them in the oven and leave them for a good 10 or 15 minutes, then all you need to do is sort the bread.

Sorry - I do realise how totally nutritionally pants this is, but sometimes it's more important to eat something than to bust your butt doing something 'perfect'.
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • nabowla
    nabowla Posts: 567 Forumite
    HM stir fries are v. quick and easy. Keep an eye out for fancy packs of pre-chopped chinese veggies that are marked down to silly prices at the end of the day. Fry veg, add shellfish/seafood (the fish counter is v. good at the end of the day - e.g. large pot of king prawns for 50p). Add Chinese spices and soy sauce. Takes 10 mins max and no chopping/preparing at all. You'll end up with enough for at least 2 meals.
  • Numptie
    Numptie Posts: 94 Forumite
    Wraps! Cold with ham, cheese, salad etc, etc or hot with onion, garlic, peppers and chicken with lots of paprica. Or gently heat a wrap in a dry frying pan, layer cheese, ham and a splash of sweet chilli sauce (optional) put another wrap on top and brown both sides. Slice into four, lovely snack!!
    Humans only use around forty percent of their brains capacity. Imagine what we could achieve if we used the other seventy percent!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure