* It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year * - It's the 2016 Christmas Chatter Thread

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,089 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Theres a link on Shop but dont drop for an offer at Sanctuary spa.com [computer still wont let me do link sorry]

If you spend £11 you can get a free candle [worth £10].

If you spend £30 you get free delivery and i was also offered a free sample.

They do an interesting advent calendar which ive just ordered for DD and managed to treat myself to a couple of other bits.
  • Thanks for the sanctuary offer Chrissy I saw the same offer in boots (free candle when spend £11)

Vulpix- I love candle making its so easy but you have to stay near it when your doing it on the hob.
    Peppa- fingers crossed for tomorrow hope everything goes well.
    Hugs to everyone that needs them, my fibro and M.E is acting up too.

Finished my mums stocking just got to finish her main present and then she's finished. Managed to get two leather valet trays on ebay for my dad and brother that fold down when you don't need to use them. Will probably get some dvd's for my brother and then he's finished.
    I got one of them grandad's goodies tin and I will fill it with dark chocolate digestives, mints and eclairs for my grandad.

Sainsbury's have some new snacks for Christmas salted caramel pretzels which are divine. they also have large boxes of orange lindor chocs as well as the orange minis bag.
  • Also bought my dad for his birthday some new toiletries that were new in boots they are natural but well priced and they smell great. They are called Mancave and they did a gift set which is a good idea for a present. I also noticed that Sainsbury's is selling the range too.
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Peppa - Hope the bloods are good. Fingers crossed you're on the right path.

MoneyMission - I didn't think of a robe - I go through them at a rate of knots, as a homeworker they are used way more than normal and my current giraffe one is looking a bit tatty.

Not much to update, did my first bit of wrapping today, and listened to a christmas playlist. Made me feel super christmassy!

We've had confirmed guest numbers for xmas day - 14! - with a table that seats 6. Thankfully 6 of those are under 2, so won't be too bad, but I may have some callouses from peeling veg by the end of it.

Also had a look for a new tree - ours is really wonky and missing more than its fair share of branches - but nothing floated my boat. We have always had a black tree, bought it in 2010 when it was £5 from B&M and its done us well - two house moves, mangling from little people and it could still pass, but I've saved enough to get a new one.

Off to ikea in a couple of weeks, I do love walking through their christmas bits. Its like a ritual!
  • DomRavioli wrote: »
    but I may have some callouses from peeling veg by the end of it.

I prep & freeze between now & then, enough for dinner, cook from frozen on the day. It is less stressful and only the potatoes need to be prepped fresh.
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
  • Peppa - thanks for the idea. I don't know why I didn't think of that myself because I actually bought pink smarties in Asda a few weeks ago and stashed them away and I bought blue tubes last week to stash away! That's another thing I can add to the list now and I also forgot I also have a really cute nail file set in pink that I got about a month ago, so I can add them to the hampers. I hope you're feeling well and good news on being able to have your GD in half term, I bet she can't wait to spend some time with you.

Dom - A robe would be a good idea for you then, you could have a nice new fluffy one. I have seen some lovely ones around recently. That's a lot of people you have coming for Christmas dinner! I bet it'll be hard work but worth all the stress when you have a lovely day with everybody :). I was going to suggest chopping & freezing some veg beforehand, but I see GTQ has already mentioned that idea. The only thing I heard doesn't freeze particularly well is potatoes but then I've heard mixed comments because others have said it's fine if you part boil them before freezing them. Would you be better off buying some frozen veg anyway, like carrots, parsnips etc.

I haven't seen any good deals on trees unfortunately. We also have to replace our tree and I've been looking since the beginning of August but I've found that the cheap ones I've seen just don't look great and the ones that look good are really expensive! I did try getting one in the January sales but nowhere had any :(

Treasurequeen - ooh I like the sound of those trays. That might be a good idea for my dad as he's so hard to buy for but he does like to do things on his laptop while sat on the sofa, so usually just has the laptop in his lap. Fab idea, thank you!

Chrissy - I love what your daughter said about cake. She's right, why would she need to know division if she's not going to share her cake?:rotfl:

It's getting so cold now. It's catch 22 because I hate having to go outside when it's cold but I love it when it gets like this because it makes me feel really Christmassy and cosy.
  • I recently bought a new tree from Christmas Tree World online.

Have a look, they have some great deals on at the moment.

Dxxx
  • DomRavioli
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I prep & freeze between now & then, enough for dinner, cook from frozen on the day. It is less stressful and only the potatoes need to be prepped fresh.

We have a two and a half drawer freezer, and a kitchen that is literally 8 feet by 8 feet! I don't think I'd get the carrots in lol
  • DomRavioli
    Combo Breaker First Post
    MM - I have a tiny freezer (and a tiny kitchen - I had a one bed flat years ago and my kitchen was bigger there!). I used to get the pre done stuff from M&S but there's nothing I want this year from them. I've commandeered two of the adults to come and help and hopefully they will, its one less job off the list! I have a fairly large family, this is just my parents, my nan and uncle, and my SIL and co. I've got the MIL (Evil witch) coming for the evening buffet, if I don't kill her first - She bought me a size 20 T-shirt last year for christmas (I'm a size 12), and a book about fishing (I have never or will ever go fishing). God knows what I will get this year, but I'll hopefully be tipsy enough not to care!

Had therapy last night - I don't know where I'm going wrong still but I do feel better. Had next door's daughter pop round as their oven broke, she had to bake a cake for school and at 8pm on a Monday there isn't much you can do. Also lent her some cake bits, I've got a cupboard full of odds and ends.

Need to get the christmas card list sorted, I don't send many (most get e-cards) but there's a few who throw a wobbly if I don't send one.
  • DomRavioli wrote: »
    We have a two and a half drawer freezer, and a kitchen that is literally 8 feet by 8 feet! I don't think I'd get the carrots in lol

Same size kitchen as mine, hate it being that small! My biggest bugbear in my kitchen (I rent) is that the landlord put in new kitchen, good size fridge/freezer, so no complaints there, but only ONE drawer, it drives me nuts as all of the "big" cooking/baking requisites have to be in jars on counter:mad: Why is it that only women think logically?
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure