joint claim ESA

Hi,

i have a question about IR ESA.

It's a joint claim, only one of them meets the ESA criteria and the claim is in her name. He is named on her claim, and doesn't work.

I understand if he was claiming JSA he would be expected to meet certain expectations from the job centre. But as he is included on her ESA, would he be expected to meet any job seeking expectations, or does this not apply as he is not claiming under his own name?

Sorry, it's difficult for me to give more details as it's quite a sensitive situation!

Comments

• nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,946 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    he doesnt have to look for work. in many peoples opinions, this is wrong, but it is the w3ay the system works.

contribution vased benefits are claimed on an individual basis, but means tested benefits are claimed as couples/households
  • Thanks nannytone, that was what I expected.

Can I ask another question, if she was transferred over to JSA, would he have to look for work, or just her if the claim is in her name?
  • nannytone_2
    both of them.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    He may in some circumstances have to face 'work focussed interviews'.
    I haven't looked in detail more recently at the rules for what else a claimants partner may be expected to do.
  • thanks nannytone and rogerblack.

i'm not aware that he has had to attend anything. it's his lack of motivation to look for work that i am finding frustrating!
  • nannytone_2
    some people will always take the easiest route ....
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    If she went to JSA they would only both have to look for work if they don't have children. If they do, then it's only the parent who is signing on, who has to look for work.

BTW all this time he is not getting his National Insurance paid, that could affect his pension entitlement. If he wants NI paid, he has to sign on to JSA NI only

But before going to JSA she would appeal and stay on ESA.

BTW it's not a 'joint claim' only she claims ESA and she claims for him. A 'joint claim' is where both partners have sick notes and claim ESA together.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure