suprise letter

Comments

• Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    You aren't just named on the claim, it's a joint claim. Do do you have no assets or savings what's so ever? Will you always be a stay at home dad?
  • Topcat1982
    Topcat1982 Posts: 391 Forumite
    Are you sure this letter is real? The wording seems a bit odd.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Topcat1982 wrote: »
    Are you sure this letter is real? The wording seems a bit odd.

I thought the same, that's why I suggested they called to check it was genuine.
  • i'll scan it tonight and redact the personal info to post. looks legit to me, i was a bit taken aback by the 'familiar' language and use of abreviations etc tho.
  • no i have no assets. i left a pevious relationship with just a rucksack of clothes. have always lived hand-to-mouth and have no savings.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Debts to government agencies such as HMRC aren't subject to the usual limitations and don't become 'statute barred' after six years.

OK they technically are but much like any organisation could do, if you want to use them again they can require you to pay off the debt.

And it's not easy to stop using the government is it?
  • interesting. have just heard from the ex partner relating to this claim, they already have an arrangement in place with her for this and she pays them £10 a month.
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    interesting. have just heard from the ex partner relating to this claim, they already have an arrangement in place with her for this and she pays them £10 a month.

That may just be for her 50%
  • sorry, misunderstanding on my part. the one she is repaying is for a seperate overpayment incourred after we had split.
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    thank you.
    i have put in a subject access request, and written to them, pointing out it was a joint claim, reiterating the fact i have never received any communication from them or anyone else regarding the claim, and pointing out that, as a stay-at-home dad with zero income or assets, i would request a 12 month suspension of recovery, should they show the debt exists. as my circumstances will not change after 12 months, upon review, the debt should be remitted as per HMRC policy.

You may have some difficulties with this approach. They don't need to show the debt exists - they fulfilled their legal duties when the claim ended and the award notice was issued. They will therefore keep pursuing.

Also, they are likely to look at your household income - so you do have income, you have tax credits and your partner presumably has income.

It is more difficult these days to get a suspension of recovery if there is other income in the household.

IQ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport