Beware - Goldcar Car Rentals Spain

Comments

• i recently hired a car from goldcar in faro Portugal if you are thinking of doing so my advice would be stay well clear!!

sales staff are very pushy with "extras" insurance etc

which i declined and agreed to pay the 900 euro deposit

to my shock i was then told i would need to pay for a full tank of fuel 100 euros which the sales lady said would be refunded on my return.

i also agreed to pay one off 18 euros to use the toll road system for the duration on my stay.

the shock came when i checked my credit card statement they had charged my card £181 English pounds and had only refunded me 75 euros for the fuel.

i have emailed goldcar a number of times with no response! surprise surprise!

now to contact the credit card company to report this scam/fraud
  • I have put detrimental feedback on every site I can find - spread the word about these crooks and hope that customers get the message !
  • richard-
    richard- Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 May 2014 at 6:01PM
    I hired a car from these crooks and picked up in faro, paid €193 for the car hire.

I had an unfortunate event where I was sitting in stationary traffic and a car drove into the back of my hire car. (old peug 106). I did not call the police, as I did not know I needed for a minor mark/damage.

When I called the hire company after the incident they said I have to pay for all damages as I did not get the police involved. I went to the police and wasted half a day visiting different police stations for different departments. They called the hire car company who was very unhelpful as I didn't speak portuguese and was very rude and just said you are responsible. I asked for another car as it felt different since the impact, and they said no just bring it back on return date we can't help you.

I was wondering if any one else has ever made a claim using a excess protection policy. I only took a picture of the other vehicle, the name and telephone of the other driver - as he did not speak very good english and there was only scratches on my bumper. I think he drove into me at about 10-15mph. I was charged for the replacement of the bumper by the hire company when returning.

I have a policy with AIG insurance that is supposed to pay you if you loose your excess and fees charged. Any one had any luck with claiming on one of these types of incidents? As I have been charged €750 plus €425 by this hire car company.

If this policy does not cover the claim, how likely would I be able to use my credit card company to recover the costs as many other people have been charged outrageous fees by this organisation. I have double charged for fuel when picked the car up as many others, but more worried about claiming the €1275 back!

So i'd stick with big brands hertz, avis next time
    Audi - Vorsprung durch Technik :D
  • Recently hired a car through Holiday Autos to be picked up at Santiago de Compostela, after booking told it was with GoldCar Spain. Holiday Autos website recorded that breakdown cover was included, their terms and conditions stated that breakdown cover was included. I took out the excess/tyre/windscreen cover in addition. When we were at GoldCar office was told that breakdown cover was not included and the only way it would be included was if we took out their own full cover. Being a relatively experienced car hirer I pointed out that a) we already had excess cover and b) that never before had I encountered any hire company who did not cover any form of breakdown. Wanting to get with with the holiday and after a bit of argument took out their full insurance (€80 +). Had another go with a different agent when we returned the car, showing her Holiday Autos printout, still the 'no we wouldn't have been covered'. Have taken it up with Holiday Autos (Car Trawler) who are passing the buck saying I have to claim a refund from GoldCar - some hope! Be warned.:mad:
  • Zin_Darwin
    Zin_Darwin Posts: 5 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As above, Euro 95 for a full tank on collection, promise of full refund, actual refund Euro 73.

I expect Goldcar will claim that this is implicit in their obscure t&c - web search goldcar.es/en/tc/
    Search on "fuel" takes you to Clause 7 under the subheading
    General Terms and Conditions for Car Rental

(Not Clause 7 under Particular Terms & Conditions)

Are Credit Card companies not obliged to clamp down on this kind of shady practice once informed?

:mad:
  • Rental car fuel policy published by air carrier Jet2.com on booking date: "For rentals of 4 days or more, fuel should be paid for on arrival and you must return the tank as empty as possible'.

Fuel policy stated by GoldCar rep at airport depot: "You must pay Euro 95 for a full tank now and we will refund in full the amount charged if you return the tank full".

Turns out the booking was through broker Rentalcars.com, where the fuel policy is stated thus:

"[FONT=&quot]Fuel should be paid for on arrival and it is not necessary to refill the tank before returning. The vehicle will be provided with a full tank of fuel and the customer will pay for that fuel on arrival. In addition, customer will be required to pay a service charge between 16 € and 42 € to cover refuelling logistics. The charge for this fuel will depend on the current fuel prices and the size of the vehicle's tank. Due to refuelling logistics, it may cost more than it would at a local petrol station. A refund will be given for any fuel left in the tank when the car is dropped off excluding the service charge."[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    Confused yet????

Goldcar Portugal charge: GBP 80.17
    Goldcar Spain refund: Euro 73 @ 1.238757848 = GBP 58.93
    Effective surcharge: GBP 21.24 or c. 26.49%

I have opened cases with Jet2.com (web form), with Rentalcars.com (web form) and also with stone age VISA (snail mail only).

Rentalcars.com (unusually for their industry) answered their published helpline number and were helpful: undertook to reclaim and refund the surcharge from Goldcar within a few days.

If this doesn't work I'll be onto Which? legal services phone advice. Good value at £40/year.
  • gmcl81
    gmcl81 Posts: 77 Forumite
    I have just realised the latest fuel scam by Goldcar! Having rented frequently in Spain I was delighted when they introduced a fuel refund policy on the remaining fuel in the tank. I realised their initial fuel cost was slightly above pump prices but accepted that. This time on returning home and checking that I had been refunded for the 3/4 tank which was left in the car I realised that instead of refunding £45 (the full tank was £60) they only refund 3/4 of what is left in the tank.hence I only received £33! Stung again!!!
  • Zin_Darwin
    Zin_Darwin Posts: 5 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Satisfaction thanks to rentalcars.com, who reveal Goldcar's strategy for causing confusion.
    [FONT=&quot]Quote:
    We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused. Goldcar have recently changed their fuel policy to charge an admin fee for having unused fuel refunded. Previously they charged for a full tank and no refunds were given. At the time you booked they had not updated their Terms and Conditions to advise of this change. As you were not told in advance of this fee Rentalcars.com has refunded this charge for you. We are now in a position to refund you £[FONT=&quot]21.24[/FONT] This has been refunded to the card used to make the reservation. Please allow up to 7 working days for this to show on your statements.
    Unquote

Suggestions:
    - Avoid Goldcar, but if no other option then.........
    - Book through rentalcars.com
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- Make sure you're happy with their T&C before you book
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]- V[/FONT]erify any questionable items[/FONT] by e-mail prior to departure (they seem to be responsive)
    [FONT=&quot]- Present hard copy T&C at destination (local T&C poss in local lingo) & have agent sign, else refuse car[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- Keep all papers and be ready to report fraudulent practice to your credit card company.

Good luck!
    [/FONT]
  • gmcl81 wrote: »
    I have just realised the latest fuel scam by Goldcar! Having rented frequently in Spain I was delighted when they introduced a fuel refund policy on the remaining fuel in the tank. I realised their initial fuel cost was slightly above pump prices but accepted that. This time on returning home and checking that I had been refunded for the 3/4 tank which was left in the car I realised that instead of refunding £45 (the full tank was £60) they only refund 3/4 of what is left in the tank.hence I only received £33! Stung again!!!

My experience today ....... I was due a refund of about 45 euros; they have refunded me £13.80 (about 17 euros) - another 28 euros stolen by these crooks!
  • Stung as well by GoldCar in Faro. They gave us a bigger car, so charged us an extra 20e for the pleasure. We had to pay 104e in total up front and only got 57e back, despite only using 1/8th of a tank. I worked the petrol costs out to be 4.5e a litre.

Currently complaining via the booking agent (cartrawler / Holiday Autos (via CSMA)) but they are taking their side and claiming all is well.

Will be steering well clear of these robbers in future.
    Caz
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure