What are my Delivery Rights?

Hi

I placed an online order for something on 19th September 2017. At the time of ordering, I was advised delivery would be within 28 days.
Having ordered something previously that arrived in under a week, I contacted them on 10th October to ask if my new order had been processed. I was advised that "due to technical issues," although they could confirm receipt of payment on 19th September, the order had not been passed to their admin team and therefore not actioned, but would be sent later that day.
When nothing was received yesterday, 28 days after payment, I contacted them again. I was told that, although the order had been dispatched, the 28 day delivery period only started on 10th October, as this was when they became aware of the order!!! They have offered me a 15% refund as a "goodwill" gesture.
I'd like to know if their assertion of when the 28 day "guarantee" starts is correct? Or, under the Consumer Contracts Regulations, can I insist on a full refund, as they acknowledge payment was received on 19th September?
Many thanks!!!

Comments

• tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    What do the T&Cs you agreed to when you purchased say?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Yes you can cancel the order for a full refund ... provided the order wasn't for personalised goods.

(Assuming the seller is a UK company).
  • Hi tykesi
    The T&C's don't seem to cover what constitutes the "start date" hence my trying to see if there's an "agreed" view on this.
  • Hi DoaM
    Thing is, I don't want to cancel the order, I want the course book, but I've seen on here that, if a company fail to deliver in the specified time frame, you are legally eligible for a full refund (under the Consumer Contracts Regulations). It all hangs on when the "contract" started though - from receipt of payment, or the date they "became aware" of the order?
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    LeighSmee wrote: »
    Hi DoaM
    Thing is, I don't want to cancel the order, I want the course book, but I've seen on here that, if a company fail to deliver in the specified time frame, you are legally eligible for a full refund (under the Consumer Contracts Regulations). It all hangs on when the "contract" started though - from receipt of payment, or the date they "became aware" of the order?
    You are, but you aren't legally able to keep the goods too
  • You are, but you aren't legally able to keep the goods too

Have I misunderstood this then (taken from shopping/delivery-rights on this site (won't allow me to post link))

It's worth noting the Consumer Contracts Regulations also explicitly entitle you to a full refund if something arrived later than promised. If there's no specified date for delivery, then it must be with you within 30 days of ordering. See the Parcel Delivery Rights guide for full info
  • LeighSmee wrote: »
    Have I misunderstood this then (taken from shopping/delivery-rights on this site (won't allow me to post link))

It's worth noting the Consumer Contracts Regulations also explicitly entitle you to a full refund if something arrived later than promised. If there's no specified date for delivery, then it must be with you within 30 days of ordering. See the Parcel Delivery Rights guide for full info

Yes, is the short answer.

You can either the book or the money, you can't have your cake and eat it.
  • glentoran99
    Forumite

As above, yes you have, you're entitled to a refund but you don't get to keep the goods too
  • glentoran99
    Forumite
    for clarity for yourself

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/parcel-delivery-rights

"Therefore if your parcel doesn’t arrive in time, you’ve the lukewarm comfort that you can at least send it back and get a refund"
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi DoaM

As others have alluded, I deliberately didn't address that point as it is absurd to think you can keep the goods AND get a full refund. :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure