Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Comments

• GGardner
    GGardner Posts: 10 Forumite
    bowesles wrote: »
    GGarner I've had the same response, first person I spoke to said categorically no way will they look at a claim greater than 180 days, got put through to Mark in Newcastle Claims&Disputes who said whilst they couldn't reactivate the dispute they would be looking at all purchases when they speak to Monarch's administrators.

So no hope there then !

Completely unreasonable that people who purchase something with a future delivery date are treated the same as someone would bought goods more than 6 months ago and now wants to dispute.

This needs to go as public as we can make it, PayPal shouldn't be able to wipe their hands and say speak to your bank.

So what can we do? Would the Ombudsman pay it any attention?
  • Hi,

I know this isn't as serious as most cases but thought I'd ask the question.

My parents flew with monarch a couple months back and we're delayed for I think over 5 hours coming home. They logged a claim for this.

My question is now that Monarch has declared bankrupt where do they sit with this? Should the claim still stand and go through? They received an email to say there claim had been received but this was before they declared for bankruptcy.
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 October 2017 at 8:12AM
    Mlavo wrote: »
    Hi,

I know this isn't as serious as most cases but thought I'd ask the question.

My parents flew with monarch a couple months back and we're delayed for I think over 5 hours coming home. They logged a claim for this.

My question is now that Monarch has declared bankrupt where do they sit with this? Should the claim still stand and go through? They received an email to say there claim had been received but this was before they declared for bankruptcy.

They won't be getting a penny. They can register as a creditor with the administrators but they will be right down near the bottom of the list and I doubt there is much to divvy up.

Details of how to register as a creditor are on the MSE page called Monarch Airlines Help (link at top of this thread)
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 October 2017 at 11:44AM
    This is a good lesson to all to never use PayPal for something that involves a future delivery date. So glad I booked by credit and with Monarch, already had my refund and booked new flights.

Losing Section 75 protection, which is law, is not worth it, even with PayPal’s own dispute scheme, which after 180 days is useless unless you manage to get the through to someone willing to bend the rules.
  • Good morning all - first post for me. We have three flights booked direct with Monarch in early December 2016 (all before the 14th cut-off when ATOL no longer applied). I haven't had any contact as of yet from the CAA or any agency on their behalf to make a claim - is anyone else still waiting? We never had an ATOL certificate after booking any of our flights - and booked plenty with them over the years. I assume the ATOL certificate would have been within a link on 'my bookings' which is now of course no longer accessible. Anyone else within this position?
  • pontysteve wrote: »
    Good morning all - first post for me. We have three flights booked direct with Monarch in early December 2016 (all before the 14th cut-off when ATOL no longer applied). I haven't had any contact as of yet from the CAA or any agency on their behalf to make a claim - is anyone else still waiting? We never had an ATOL certificate after booking any of our flights - and booked plenty with them over the years. I assume the ATOL certificate would have been within a link on 'my bookings' which is now of course no longer accessible. Anyone else within this position?

Mine came through overnight - to my Junk email folder. Have you checked that?

Failing that you will have to give the CAA a ring, pressing option 3 and listening to the recorded message will then get you through to someone.
  • pontysteve wrote: »
    Good morning all - first post for me. We have three flights booked direct with Monarch in early December 2016 (all before the 14th cut-off when ATOL no longer applied). I haven't had any contact as of yet from the CAA or any agency on their behalf to make a claim - is anyone else still waiting? We never had an ATOL certificate after booking any of our flights - and booked plenty with them over the years. I assume the ATOL certificate would have been within a link on 'my bookings' which is now of course no longer accessible. Anyone else within this position?

They were only flight protected for about 12 months, from memory. Any Atol certificate was an attachment to your email confirmation. There was a red square at the bottom left hand side of the email which said Atol cert pdf. It was also have shown at the top as an attachment. You're supposed to print the certificate and keep it safe as proof of protection because they detail what/who and the Atol protected cost that is covered.
  • I booked a flight before the 15 December 2016 and received the ATOL certificate. I have not received a claim form to date. Any advise please.
  • I booked a flight before the 15 December 2016 and received the ATOL certificate. I have not received a claim form to date. Any advise please.
    See my last post a few above this, the advice is exactly the same.

Did you book direct with the airline? The CAA website has information on their dedicated Monarch pages. You should receive a claim form no later than today. If it doesn't arrive you need to contact the CAA. If you use twitter you can send them a DM. Make sure you check your spam/junk though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure