What are you reading?

2»

Comments

• downshifter
    downshifter Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Wow - thank you all for these suggestions, will certainly follow up. I have a really good independent 'remaindered' bookshop near me where the prices are similar to many charity shops and as the books I buy have to have a long life after them, I like to both support the shop and pass the books to my mother, her chums, the library at her supported housing complex and so on.

Yes I want some keepers which I will re-read for the rest of my life - good books will bear that. (I also live in a very old house with freezing walls, full bookshelves make fantastic insulation!!!). My mother does like Victoria Hislop and I've passed her the earlier ones (The Island I particularly enjoyed) and the great thing about her books is that they encourage me to find out more about the area and the life and times she wrote about. Just like 'The Manchester Man' made me walk through familiar Manchester with new eyes.

Will work my way through all of your suggestions, I'm so grateful for the ideas. I might have to force myself to read science fiction but will give it a go. Who knows? Am reading Chocolat at the moment, good fun and much better than the film.

As well as Project Gutenberg for out of copyright books, there's also Librivox which is great for old audiobooks. A strange selection but some of the readers are fantastic. I've even toyed with the idea of volunteering but couldn't compete with the best of those. I discovered Elizabeth von Arnim through Librivox.

Thanks again for all the ideas.

DS
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    I have just finished Eric Clapton, The Autobiography. That was a bit of an eye opener, he was a very naughty boy. I love the music of that era, so I've been on youtube to see some of his videos.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,403 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    EdSwippet wrote: »
    You probably already know this, but just in case... a lot of the books on this list are now out of copyright. This means you can pick them up in ebook format from sites such as Project Gutenberg, Manybooks, and Feedbooks, and all completely free of charge.

The FBreader ebook reader in particular integrates well with the latter two sources, and works smoothly on phones and tablets. Some of these books are also available in the Kindle app, but Kindle is somewhat locked into the Amazon ecosystem, so the range of free classic books there tends to be limited.

Thank you, this is helpful. I have done well with free or cheap classics via Amazon. I have a very large Kindle (a Kindle DX) that gives me large size text for all books. Sometimes I have been careful in the selection of the translator, so although the author's text may be out of copyright, the translator has to receive his/her royalty.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I also like Victoria Hislop. I read The Island before I went to Crete and visited the former leper colony on the nearby island. Fascinating stuff.

I'm also a fan of Dorothy Koomson's books. The Ice Cream girls was dramatised for tv a couple of years ago. Rose Petal Beach is good. In fact I've loved all her books so far.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Just finished reading the 'Hunger Games' trilogy. I'm also addicted to Jodi Taylor 'Chronicles of St Mary's' series.

In between, I'm re-reading 'Little Women' by Louisa May Alcott.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    I read my grandson's copies of the Hunger Games. I was surprised how much I enjoyed them. I didn't like the films.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    missile wrote: »
    Keepers .... why? will you read them again?

I keep every book I buy except for those that I discover I already own, even the ones that I've had to give up on (perhaps in the vain hope that one day something will click and it'll start to make sense - yes, Thomas Pynchon, I'm talking to you about Gravity's Rainbow!). If I've read a book once there's a very high possibility that at some point I'll read it again, and the best ones I've read many times.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    mumps wrote: »
    I read my grandson's copies of the Hunger Games. I was surprised how much I enjoyed them. I didn't like the films.

I've just finished watching the first film - I recorded it but didn't watch it all at once. I don't think it would have made much sense to me if I hadn't read the books first.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    I've just finished watching the first film - I recorded it but didn't watch it all at once. I don't think it would have made much sense to me if I hadn't read the books first.

I thought Donald Sutherland was very good, nobody does mad quite like him.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family