List of Banks not doing contactless cards

12345679»

Comments

• POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    EarthBoy wrote: »
    They clearly do offer a contactless option if they sent you one.

Sorry missed out non

I am looking for a credit card provider that offers a non contactless option.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,039 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Sorry missed out non

The HSBC credit card is not contactless:

https://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/credit-cards/credit-card
  • Tarian
    Tarian Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 March 2017 at 2:06AM
    Saving 2 to 3 seconds per transaction just isn't worth it.

After spotting 2 unknown debits via online banking, it took nearly 3 phone calls and over half an hour to report a missing contactless card.
    That's hardly a great trade-off !

Losing a contactless card is like dropping cash - it can be used immediately - as I discovered.

My lost card was used less than 15 minutes after the first moment it could have been mislaid.

I've seen some clever-clogs say "don't lose your card then".
    Maybe .... but who's perfect ?
    Losing a non-contactless card is not like losing cash - as immediate attempts require a PIN.

If a cashier said "Give me your wallet so I can take £30" ... how many people would hand it over ?
    And how many insurance companies would pay out if you left your door unlocked .......?

Contactless makes no sense on any reasonable level.
    Being forced on customers is criminally insane !
    :A
  • jadex
    jadex Posts: 753 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Sorry missed out non

Sainsbury's Bank - not an option though as all their cards are non-contactless
  • rhysadams
    rhysadams Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The first time you use contactless, it will ask for a PIN. However, when I spoke to both RBS and Nationwide, they both issued me with a non-contactless card. I then saw the benefits of it, and asked for it back.
  • SallyUK
    SallyUK Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have as Halifax Cardcash Visa Debit account and that doesn't give me a contactless card - although I wish it would!
    Sal
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Tarian wrote: »
    Saving 2 to 3 seconds per transaction just isn't worth it.

After spotting 2 unknown debits via online banking, it took nearly 3 phone calls and over half an hour to report a missing contactless card.
    That's hardly a great trade-off !

Losing a contactless card is like dropping cash - it can be used immediately - as I discovered.

My lost card was used less than 15 minutes after the first moment it could have been mislaid.

I've seen some clever-clogs say "don't lose your card then".
    Maybe .... but who's perfect ?
    Losing a non-contactless card is not like losing cash - as immediate attempts require a PIN.

If a cashier said "Give me your wallet so I can take £30" ... how many people would hand it over ?
    And how many insurance companies would pay out if you left your door unlocked .......?

Contactless makes no sense on any reasonable level.
    Being forced on customers is criminally insane !

This is my worry.

I can go for days/weeks without using my credit card and therefore it could be a while before I might realise it had lost/been stolen etc.

In that time they could rack up quite a lot of transactions and I do not think the bank would refund if they had not been notified more or less straight away.

Fine for those that want it but as you say it should not be forced on cusomers and I do not understand why Tesco are doing this. Their loss as we closed our account that we have had for years and spent thousands on.
  • LeeMD
    LeeMD Posts: 1 Newbie
    Credit Card companies want you to use the cards as much as possible, therefore the easier it is made, the less time you have to consider that maybe you shouldn't be spending money that you don't have ?

Also these cards are a security risk, even if you get money back via insurance/etc you still have the upset and hassle of sorting it out, on your time.

If you have 2 or more contactless cards in one wallet, you can pay more than once for the same item or pay with the wrong card. And if anyone thinks it isn't very easy to take from them when inside your wallet and your pocket, then give it time, you will see.

People do not value freedom or privacy anymore and this is the thin edge of the wedge :(
  • Weybridge78
    Weybridge78 Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Clydesdale ask you specifically what card you want. They have 3 different ones and call the contactless one the "upgraded" one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure