PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Taking bulk buying to an extreme! Strange behaviour.

Comments

• melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I have calmed down a lot now. Used to be a nutter for buying buying buying, just because I could.

Now it is a case of buying exactly what we like to eat, not just because something or other is 5p in the mark down. What a revelation!

Now it is one on the go, two to spare. And ONLY what we like, nothing else anymore. It is so pleasing to see a cupboard full of things you KNOW you will use, and a similar freezer. Whereas until my lightbulb moment I would buy it because it was marked down and we MIGHT like it. That was stupid. I realise that now.

Anyway, I also have a hoard of wraps, scarves and handbags. That will be tackled next week. I'm on a mission! Honestly who needs 30 wraps/scarves and bags. I won't even mention the shoes. Clothes aren't too bad. Five nice dresses/jackets/wraps (them things again but they match!) for occasions. And five nice shoes bags are my goal.

It is so rewarding when you clear out stuff isn't it?

I'm hoping to be on the wagon soon!
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    LameWolf wrote: »
    Coffee is one thing we absolutely refuse to compromise on; we buy a 1kg bag of Guatemalan Elephant Beans roughly every six weeks; we grind them as we want to use them.

Mr LW and I both really enjoy this coffee, so we feel it's justifiable.

I can't abide instant coffee _pale_ - I can drink it if I'm out and have to in order to be polite, but I'd far sooner not; I drink my coffee black and unsweetened, so I probably notice the difference more than people who have sugar and/or milk/cream in theirs.

Same, I can't stand instant coffee. It just isn't the same as ground coffee but my only demand for it is as strong as possible lol!
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    swingaloo wrote: »

So now Im sure that what Im doing is not normal! I have to have everything in 5s or 10s depending on the item. My cupboards are looking a bit like a small supermarket.

I HAVE to have 10 jars of coffee in the cupboard, 5 large boxes of tea bags, 5 tubs of Clover in the fridge etc.

No, what you're doing is not normal and I would start to nip it in the bud right away before you become a chronic hoarder and many of your supplies become utterly useless because they become stale and out of date. If you have to throw stuff away because it has become stale you're not saving money.

Bulk buying is ok within reason if you save time and money but even that has to be within reason.

Why not resolve to stop buying dry goods completely u til further notice and run your cupboard stocks completely down to almost nothing before you restock ? If you fear yiu are developing a hoarding habit, better to start controlling it when yiu recognise yiu may have a problem rather than waiting until the habit is completely out of control
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Kantankrus_Mare Posts: 6,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think the OP has an OCD problem rather than a hoarding problem.

Having to have back ups in 5's or 10's only is OCD. In which case....yes I would be a little concerned.

Nothing wrong with stocking up on stuff you will use if it saves you money/time and if you have the space for it.

Im guilty myself with toilet rolls. my OH is always taking the mickey.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,656 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I think the OP has an OCD problem rather than a hoarding problem.

Having to have back ups in 5's or 10's only is OCD. In which case....yes I would be a little concerned.
    I thought the same when I posted this:
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I think it's the possible obsession with numbers that I'd be concerned about.
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    yesterday I bought 3 coffee 6 soups, various other things. is my number thing a concern?
  • Pollycat
    purpleybat wrote: »
    yesterday I bought 3 coffee 6 soups, various other things. is my number thing a concern?

It could be if you always buy in multiples of 3. :cool:
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Pollycat wrote: »
    It could be if you always buy in multiples of 3. :cool:
    :p One on, one off, one in the wash?

I bought one 500 ml bottle of olive oil at the weekend. I use this every day as salad dressing. It means I have the one-third full bottle and the replacement bottle.

Bygorry, am I fighting the urge to have a half-dozen or more bottles queued up in a line waiting for use, tho.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Pollycat
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :p One on, one off, one in the wash?
    How often do you wear a jar of coffee?

Or wash a can of soup? :whistle:
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Im guilty myself with toilet rolls. my OH is always taking the mickey.
    He might not find it funny if he was to run out of it unexpectedly.

My mum has always bought in bulk and my dad has always complained, citing the proximity of the supermarket. But not once does he ever buy it himself! He does use stuff very liberally though which got on my mum's wick, so she took to hiding the bulk supplies. He wasn't pleased about that either.

So sometimes there's just no winning.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure