Cheap MAC makeup in TK Maxx

Wizzbang
Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
There's a greater range on their website here, than in-store (at least near me).

Some are only about £5 discount, but other items better. I thought some of the colours were odd!

Official MoneySavingExpert insert Tue 2 May: MAC make up is available from TK Maxx in stores as well as online, both subject to availability. Delivery’s £3.99 if you’re buying online, which you need to take into account as standard delivery is free from MAC itself.

If you’re buying online, you’ll only make savings on products which are more than £4 cheaper than MAC, such as [URL=" http://www.tkmaxx.com/view-all-beauty/warm-rose-mineralise-powder-10g/invt/42317223 "]Mineralize powder in ‘Warm Rose’[/URL] which is £23.98 delivered at TK Maxx or £24.50 delivered at MAC. Of course, if you’re buying more than one item which is cheaper at TK Maxx, then you’ll make a bigger saving after taking delivery costs into account.

Big thanks to Wizzbang for the original spot!
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Minimalist
Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

Comments

• OMG this is amazing mines nearly ran out i need some more! Saves me a few quid so its a plus
  • bergebabe
    bergebabe Posts: 19 Forumite
    Brilliant i need a new mascara!!
  • gmarie
    gmarie Posts: 20 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Please be aware that TK Maxx is actually inflating some of the RRP prices!!!

For example "MAC Grain Eye Shadow Refill 1.5g £9.99 RRP £16.00 Save £6 (38%)" taken directly from TK Maxx's website is incorrect, you can currently purchase this exact product from MAC's own website for £10, with a free sample & free shipping. Another example is "MAC Pro Longwear Waterproof Brow Set 5g £12.99 RRP £16.00 Save £3 (19%)", this product actually retails at £14.50, saving you just £1.50 instead. I noticed this in store when I found my favourite lipstick, but was disappointed to find it was only 50p cheaper than retail price, but incorrectly listed as being £5 cheaper. I find it quite misleading, as a lot of people will think they're getting a bargain for pricey make-up, especially if they wouldn't normally buy these products.
  • You couldn't pay me to use anything by those animal abusing monsters.

If cheaper make up is more important to you than animal's lives then by all means, knock yourself out.
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    You can't trust TK Maxx on RRPs. Best to do your own research.

In terms of the environment, MAC is much better than most other retailers because they run the 'Back to MAC' recycling scheme for their packaging. They also avoid excess packaging by selling refills packaged only in cardboard, as can be seen from the link.

As for animal testing, it's the way it is because they are a global brand and sell in China. They have to test on animals to sell there apparently. MAC is hardly 'cheaper' make-up, it's a premium brand. But if animal testing is an important criteria for you, well then just don't buy it! There's no need to sensationalise it for effect. But that's what the vegans et al always do 0_0
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• Yes I've noticed TK Maxx do often inflate the RRP's so best to check first if it really is a bargain. On the topic of cruelty free make up, I used to love MAC and they were actually cruelty free until 2012, when they decided to sell in China, this year I've switched all my toiletries and make up to cruelty free, and most of the make up is the same if not better quality than MAC (Tarte, Anastasia Beverly Hills, Stila). I find it strange they are so passionate about recycling but clearly do not care about animals. There's no need for animal testing and there's plenty high quality alternatives out there :T
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes I've noticed TK Maxx do often inflate the RRP's so best to check first if it really is a bargain. On the topic of cruelty free make up, I used to love MAC and they were actually cruelty free until 2012, when they decided to sell in China, this year I've switched all my toiletries and make up to cruelty free, and most of the make up is the same if not better quality than MAC (Tarte, Anastasia Beverly Hills, Stila). I find it strange they are so passionate about recycling but clearly do not care about animals. There's no need for animal testing and there's plenty high quality alternatives out there :T
    Are you sure Stila are cruelty free? I thought they were owned by Estee Lauder (not cruelty free AFAIK) I think sometimes brands are listed as free from various things, then change over the years without thinking to update things with those that knew them as they once were:eek:
  • 33Simon33
    33Simon33 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Which companies can you recommend that definitely do not use animal testing?
  • I'd read that Stila is definitely cruelty free, I think Estee Lauder sold Stila to another company, I think some people regard it as a bit of a grey area if the brand is cruelty free but the parent company (i.e Estee Lauder) are not. Too Faced was a good one but have now just been bought by EL too, and the same with Becca unfortunately) so I think that's down to personal opinion.
    In my opinion Anastasia Beverley Hills and Charlotte Tilbury are my favourites, NYX is good and affordable but again the parent company is not cruelty free. American brands have a lot more choice in cruelty free makeup but a lot of these brands you can now buy in the UK through Beauty Bay. There's a website called logical harmony which has alot of info on cruelty free brands :j
  • leslieknope
    leslieknope Posts: 334 Forumite
    basically any brand that sells to china isn't considered fully cruelty free as china requires animal testing in order to sell there. which is very disappointing.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family