£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• Lauralozzle
    Options
    Well done on all you've achieved in such a short space of time!

Subscribing! :)
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    Rather than madly overpaying debt, I have decidedly I would absolutely love to be a month ahead with my self employed income, to give me a bit of a buffer for future quiet months. Once that's done I have a lovely complicated formula for splitting any additional income between overpaying debt, creating a slightly larger buffer and adding to our budget so we have a little bit of reward for me doing extra work

I also think this is a great idea. I'm about where you are, I think: I gave myself a buffer so that I wasn't stressing every month, and this month has been quiet and instead of panicking, I used some of the buffer...to hustle for more work and ramp everything up! So I think it really does work, it's like giving yourself an interest-free business loan to scale up with.

Love your formula: I need to work out something similar for if-and-when my income starts to be consistently higher, which it's looking hopeful it might be this year. Onwards to us self-employed types!
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Another really full day ahead - need to get a load of work done then pack up and catch a train to London this afternoon for work tomorrow. At least Child 3 has her other preschool session today (all of three hours) so I have a chance to achieve things then.

To do today:
    1.Batch cook macaroni cheese.
    2. Drop off stupid online shopping return.
    3. Use up the kale with lunch as DH won’t eat it and it won’t be very exciting by Saturday.
    4. Social media when working if I get time.
    5. Prep and pack a load of snacks for train journeys today and tomorrow. Not spending on these journeys will be the biggest temptation I have faced yet, I am a terrible train snacker, and can easily sink £20-30 in a day on lunch and snacks when I’m out of the house on a ‘special occasion’ work day like this.
    6. Write a letter to cancel Fabletics membership (this is a sports clothes subscription site which I have been 'skipping' a months subscription on every month for about six months, and I'm worried I'm going to forget one month and be charged £44).

To do this week:
    1. Sit down as a family (we have a weekly family meeting on a Monday, this seems a good time) and come up with ways to reduce water usage. Done!
    2. Look for paper/online copy of washing machine manual to see which cycle uses least water/energy, as part of an ongoing mission to reduce costs of both. Done!
    3. Log into ee - our last two bills have been c.£91, which is even more ridiculous than the £85 contract fee, so we’re clearly overspending somewhere. Done, and lightly horrified to see that our bills are actually £89.75, not £85. That's a crapload of money on mobile phones.
    4. Find out how much preschool bill is for this month and pay it - they seem terrible at giving out invoices and I don’t want to inadvertently get into arrears! Done! Annoyingly higher than expected, but not horribly so.
    5. Ask at school whether there is dressing up for world book day. Done, and nobody seems to know! Will have to tap all my inventive skills if there is a last minute demand for costumes.
    6. Put all insurance renewal dates into calendar in advance so I have time to search for better deals. Done!
    7. Put a date in the calendar to reassess gas and electricity usage/DD. Done!
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • angelpye
    Options
    I really am! My competitive side has come out in force and I've cheerfully become the Official Household Penny Pincher.

Ha! But am I more competitive than you?! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    No, but seriously I know that I am naturally competitive and it definitely plays in my favour at t he moment. I think I saw my DFD as a bit insulting to myself and thought 'you can do better than that!'. Competing against myself is much more satisfying than against others and loving every 'win'!
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: [STRIKE]Sept 2022[/STRIKE] April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6 :j
    EF £0/£4200
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    angelpye wrote: »
    Ha! But am I more competitive than you?! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    No, but seriously I know that I am naturally competitive and it definitely plays in my favour at t he moment. I think I saw my DFD as a bit insulting to myself and thought 'you can do better than that!'. Competing against myself is much more satisfying than against others and loving every 'win'!
    Definitely! My DFD is a challenge, not an absolute. When I get time next week I want to have a play around with different overpayment numbers to see how they affect our DFD, as I think it will be a great incentive to know that £xx overpayment will lead to DFD being xx months earlier.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • kerron7
    kerron7 Posts: 196 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have subscribe to your diary, it has inspired me to restart mine.

Keep up with the good work, it may take a while but you will get there!
    Emergency Fund - £50/£500
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    What a day! Storm Doris had a somewhat negative effect on my travel plans and it took me 5 hours to travel 62 miles by train. :mad:

However, I still stuck to my guns and didn't spend anything, and I'm going to look into applying for a refund on my train ticket - I've never done it before, but I'm sure I've read that you can over a certain delay?

My lists, before I fall into bed...

To do today:
    1.Batch cook macaroni cheese. Ran out of time to do this, but reminded DH to do it for dinner tomorrow.
    2. Drop off stupid online shopping return. Finally done!
    3. Use up the kale with lunch as DH won’t eat it and it won’t be very exciting by Saturday. the kale was missing! I must have used it and forgotten. So let's call it done!
    4. Social media when working if I get time. Done!
    5. Prep and pack a load of snacks for train journeys today and tomorrow. Not spending on these journeys will be the biggest temptation I have faced yet, I am a terrible train snacker, and can easily sink £20-30 in a day on lunch and snacks when I’m out of the house on a ‘special occasion’ work day like this. Done!
    6. Write a letter to cancel Fabletics membership (this is a sports clothes subscription site which I have been 'skipping' a months subscription on every month for about six months, and I'm worried I'm going to forget one month and be charged £44). Not done, will add to my list for next week as I won't get another chance this week.

To do this week:
    1. Sit down as a family (we have a weekly family meeting on a Monday, this seems a good time) and come up with ways to reduce water usage. Done!
    2. Look for paper/online copy of washing machine manual to see which cycle uses least water/energy, as part of an ongoing mission to reduce costs of both. Done!
    3. Log into ee - our last two bills have been c.£91, which is even more ridiculous than the £85 contract fee, so we’re clearly overspending somewhere. Done, and lightly horrified to see that our bills are actually £89.75, not £85. That's a crapload of money on mobile phones.
    4. Find out how much preschool bill is for this month and pay it - they seem terrible at giving out invoices and I don’t want to inadvertently get into arrears! Done! Annoyingly higher than expected, but not horribly so.
    5. Ask at school whether there is dressing up for world book day. Done, and nobody seems to know! Will have to tap all my inventive skills if there is a last minute demand for costumes.
    6. Put all insurance renewal dates into calendar in advance so I have time to search for better deals. Done!
    7. Put a date in the calendar to reassess gas and electricity usage/DD. Done![/QUOTE]
  • angelpye
    Options
    On my rail network you can apply for a refund after a 30 minute delay although that might have actually gone down to 15 mins...anyway you certainly are owed a refund surely? Epic journey so well done for not spending! It's easy to apply, usually just a photo of ticket uploaded onto an online form - takes less than 5 mins. :)
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: [STRIKE]Sept 2022[/STRIKE] April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6 :j
    EF £0/£4200
  • Drawingaline
    Options
    Hey TOP, just catching up, sorry to read about your journey. My poor mil was caught up in the storm chaos too, 8hours instead of 4 for her to get home.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    angelpye wrote: »
    On my rail network you can apply for a refund after a 30 minute delay although that might have actually gone down to 15 mins...anyway you certainly are owed a refund surely? Epic journey so well done for not spending! It's easy to apply, usually just a photo of ticket uploaded onto an online form - takes less than 5 mins. :)
    Thanks, I'll have a look on the train provider's site later on.
    Hey TOP, just catching up, sorry to read about your journey. My poor mil was caught up in the storm chaos too, 8hours instead of 4 for her to get home.
    Nightmare! The train operators seemed totally taken by surprise - the station master at the station I was stuck at for the longest (TWO HOURS) said there were lots of irrational decisions being made and no communication with stations, and looked really cross.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback